The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Something Something agent Something.'

Just saving RandomGuy the hassle.

I'm disgusted at this Tanser chat tbh.

The only song he needs is "rhythm is a dancer, we've got Scotty Tanser, he can score from anywhere".

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

A tale of two finals...

Just started reading Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre and on page 1 we're introduced to two characters Mehmet (2010) and Gonçalves (2013).

Of all the players in that 2010 team, Billy Mehmet deserved an ending like the 2013 final the most. 

Edited to add how could I forget Shuggie

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

49 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Of all the players in that 2010 team, Billy Mehmet deserved an ending like the 2013 final the most. 

Edited to add how could I forget Shuggie

Yup, when I saw Mehmet in tears after the game I felt like joining in.

Shuggie's substitution that day was prob'ly the right move by MacPherson as he was already booked and the Rangers players were winding him up but I still feel we'd not have conceded that goal with him on.

Still blame Potter for the goal he had to make a challenge on Naismith, 9 men and from when Weir intercepted Dargo's dummy we never got within 2 yards of the ball and they had Miller and Novo essentially free in the box.

Still I've had plenty of medication and therapy since then and have been able to put those 17 seconds behind me, especially after the contribution we made to Rangers demise in 2012.

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, btb said:

A tale of two finals...

Just started reading Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre and on page 1 we're introduced to two characters Mehmet (2010) and Gonçalves (2013).

36 minutes ago, btb said:

Yup, when I saw Mehmet in tears after the game I felt like joining in.

Shuggie's substitution that day was prob'ly the right move by MacPherson as he was already booked and the Rangers players were winding him up but I still feel we'd not have conceded that goal with him on.

Still blame Potter for the goal he had to make a challenge on Naismith, 9 men and from when Weir intercepted Dargo's dummy we never got within 2 yards of the ball and they had Miller and Novo essentially free in the box.

Still I've had plenty of medication and therapy since then and have been able to put those 17 seconds behind me, especially after the contribution we made to Rangers demise in 2012.

I can't remember Novo (I've never watched any "high"lights of that game) but it still always amazes me how Milller was somehow unmarked despite us having two men more than them.

On 21/10/2021 at 16:49, Lex said:

Think ‘twas:
‘Tanser, oh Scotty Tanser he runs down the wing for me. Do-do-do-do-do-do…’
On him, there can’t be many defenders in the league that play as far forward as he does.
Looking at that third goal again, it’s obviously a horrendous mistake from Baldwin, but I can see why he’s made it. We are winning 2-1, it’s a dead ball punted long from our keeper and he can see Brophy, McGrath and Ronan all in front of him. He’s naturally assumed that as our three forward players are ahead of him that the ball is going to bounce harmlessly through to the keeper.
His problem is our ‘left back’ is actually our furthest forward player and he’s sneaking round the back to score.
IMG_6964.thumb.jpg.fdf4d7dadb78d41ac6f932981bce7eb6.jpg
If he continues at his current rate of goals and assists he’s going to have a better season going forward than Durmus did last year. Which would be quite something.

That’s quite a mouthful and doesn’t even rhyme 

So..  ..do we want comments about that McGrath piece on the BBC site?

It's an interesting piece which tries to build up McGrath as being the talisman of which we've turned our season around with, it takes up most of the narrative which in turn is then completely contradicted by Steven Thompson when he says "I don't know what has trigged the improvement". The "rare" occurrences of St Mirren players being internationals also seems somewhat salty to say the least. We could obviously point to numerous ex-Saints in international duty, but it's hardly uncommon for us to feature international players, perhaps not for nations that the author knows though.

It's a bit of a fucking mess of a piece, written by someone who hasn't done any research other than looking up Wiki, and in turn almost every claim he makes Thompson dismisses.

It's not up there with some in the Lazy Journalism thread, as the overarching message that McGrath is likely to go on to bigger and better things is pretty much true, but the article itself is written by someone who's taken no interest in our season and in turn is just blithe assumptions and wiki stats.

Edit: We all know why the piece was written. If it was the week we were playing relegation candidates like Dundee or St Johnstone then you'd get no mention, now we are playing Rangers then suddenly content is required and nobody cares just how accurate it is.

Edited by Ric

Conor Ronan total class act. If only he was our player. Total joy to watch

Yep he’s been brilliant since he arrived. Think he had a bad time with injuries before we got him, which explains how we’ve managed to get him. He’s only been here for a few weeks and he’s already our joint top scorer for the season, and he’s a midfielder.
He’s 23 and Wolves gave him a four year deal last year, so they’ve clearly got a bit of faith in him.
Been another great find by Jim. Just need to enjoy him while he’s here because I’m sure he won’t be in Scottish football next season.

Yep he’s been brilliant since he arrived. Think he had a bad time with injuries before we got him, which explains how we’ve managed to get him. He’s only been here for a few weeks and he’s already our joint top scorer for the season, and he’s a midfielder.
He’s 23 and Wolves gave him a four year deal last year, so they’ve clearly got a bit of faith in him.
Been another great find by Jim. Just need to enjoy him while he’s here because I’m sure he won’t be in Scottish football next season.

I hope we’ve spoken to Wolves already to enquire about keeping him (massive long shot) or getting more like him up on loan. He’s getting better by the week, and we should be selling that to clubs down south.

Long term, loans aren’t ideal, but used in the right way it should help us in the short term.

Goal aside, I thought he was the best player on the park today. 

Difficult to argue that - he was popping up all over the place, always wanting the ball and looking to be positive, even in the last 5 mins when we were a man down.

Thought Tanser was the stand-out for the first half-hour though when we were on top - yet to see the lack of heart he apparently has (@RandomGuy [emoji12]), and he’d arguably be a bigger loss than McGrath if he misses the next couple of games.

36 minutes ago, codfish said:

Thought Tanser was the stand-out for the first half-hour though when we were on top - yet to see the lack of heart he apparently has (@RandomGuy emoji12.png)

Don't worry, you will, by the end.

Just be thankful James Forrest seems finished.