The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'm really enjoying the presence of Brophy in our team right now, he seems a constant pest for defenders and he always looks likely to make something happen.

None of the three goals he's scored this season have been easy chances, today's was a superb finish, and they're the sort of chances we haven't had anyone to put away in recent seasons.

He's hardly prolific, but he's growing into his role and our current set-up seems much better suited to him.

Said as much about Brophy yesterday when watching.

He's a constant pain in the arse for defenders and is now well and truly finding his feet in the side. For a guy we were worried couldn't play up top himself, he's really benefitting from having both McGrath and Ronan playing in advanced midfield roles.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's a constant pain in the arse for defenders and is now well and truly finding his feet in the side. For a guy we were worried couldn't play up top himself, he's really benefitting from having both McGrath and Ronan playing in advanced midfield roles.

Yeah, it's a wee bit tough on Main how things have turned out because he wasn't playing badly, but the setup now just works so much better, especially for Brophy, McGrath, Power and Erhahon. It gives us the balance we were missing earlier where we still have a goal threat, with support for Brophy, but are not completely chasing shadows in midfeild. It's a shame Kiltie hasn't had a chance in this formation as I think it would suit him.

As good a position that we're in, I still think that there are several areas we need to improve upon.

We need to stop teams putting crosses into the box for a start. We allow wingers far too much space.

We need to defend crosses better too.

We also need to stop misplacing passes.

Going forward, in particular we look good. However, as usual a slightly better final ball and a bit more composure in front of goal, would help. Some of that in the first 10-15 minutes of the second half would have had us on easy street, rather than having to experience the arse clenching last half hour.

As JG says, there's still a lot more to come from the players.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, it was mostly fans of other teams telling us that Brophy couldn't play up top by himself.

To be fair, it was mostly fans of other teams telling us that Brophy couldn't play up top by himself.

Specifically fans of other teams who weren't Killie, plus maybe some idiots from our support. He played up front by himself plenty of times for us and was very good at it. He won't be prolific in that role long-term, even if he's doing well now, but he will bring others into it.

15 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The table is making some great reading tonight. Obviously too soon to get excited, and while three wins doesn't seem like many, it's the (only) 2 defeats that is really encouraging.

I can't remember us making such a solid start in the league. Not going to start predicting safety yet, because we've seen how much things can change in the space of just three games, but I think we are a good measure better than the bottom three. 

I just hope Aberdeen give Glass and Brown plenty of time because they are fucking gash and it's hilarious.

Screenshot_20211016-210048.png

Bizarrely, if we’d not had good goals chopped off agains Dundee United and St Johnstone it could have been so much better.

Next Sunday we could have been looking at a win v Rangers taking us level with them on points 🙂

Why is it pundits like McFadden always find ways to Rubbish anything positive about our club, yes the defender for County slipped in the build up to our opening goal. But to say the keeper should be saving Brophy’s shot is frankly laughable. Maybe it was the other guy Foster but nonetheless a stupid comment. 

Not going to lie, I'm surprised their keeper didn't save the 1st.

It's hit at pace, sure, and the keeper might not have expected him to shoot from there, but it's pretty much in the middle of the goal and at a good height for him.

Why is it pundits like McFadden always find ways to Rubbish anything positive about our club, yes the defender for County slipped in the build up to our opening goal. But to say the keeper should be saving Brophy’s shot is frankly laughable. Maybe it was the other guy Foster but nonetheless a stupid comment. 

Noticed that aswell actually. McFadden seemed to imply we were lucky that other teams were making mistakes against us. There was a very lucky goal in that game yesterday right enough, and it was Ross County’s first.
I also keep hearing how Aberdeen were definitely going to beat us in Paisley until they got that huddy (correctly) sent off - it was mentioned again last night. No mention of the fact that Lewis had made a decent save to keep it at 1-2 shortly before the red card, or that their second goal came from a soft free kick and then freak break of the ball off a players heel.
Oh well, long as we keep winning who cares. Sportscene not the same without Thommo’s good looks anyway.

Brophy shoots early and he hits it hard.
All three of his goals this season (Dundee, Hibs and County) have been quite similar in that regard. Each keeper has not really been expecting the shot when it came and each time it’s caught them out and ended up in the net.
I like that trait of his game and if he keeps up his current goals to games ratio he will be well into double figures come May.

We never really get any credit on the BBC. Ever since Richard Gordon and a few others absolutely destroyed Thier reputation during the 8/8/8 fiasco when they outed themselves as mouthpieces for the likes of Lawell and Milne we've been the bad guys. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Can't say it's nice seeing two stands behind the goals full of old firm fans. Their bigoted songs flowing up and down the pitch at a much higher volume than the home support.  I'm still all for one away stand so will be intresting to hear what the new chairman's plan is to stop this that we will hear soon. 

Can't say it's nice seeing two stands behind the goals full of old firm fans. Their bigoted songs flowing up and down the pitch at a much higher volume than the home support.  I'm still all for one away stand so will be intresting to hear what the new chairman's plan is to stop this that we will hear soon. 
It won't stop until we can fill it ourselves. And neither it should. What's the point in empty seats when we can get extra cash?

3 hours ago, Ric said:

good on you tony and hopefully one day we’ll see them stuck in a corner(hopefully we could erect something to give them a restricted view)