The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No-one was talking about McGrath at all after signing. All the plaudits were on McCarthy of the two.

Unreal that you can write a player off after 7 games. Kiltie has shown that he's a solid hand in the league and there's no reason he won't be for us either. 

Spot on. Everyone was saying McCarthy was the better deal. Glad we have both of them. 

Ireland Player ratings from last night ...

Jamie McGrath – 9 

What a classy performance from the St. Mirren man. He gave a really good account of himself and should definitely be starting in Ireland’s next games. St. Mirren will be doing well to hang on to him for too long.

Jamie McGrath 8

Was outstanding having impressed as a second-half sub against Azerbaijan, the former Dundalk winger got the nod ahead of Daryl Horgan who he replaced in Baku. Brought down for the penalty after being tripped by Boudiaf. Effective at either end as he tracked back well. Surely a big move in January beckons.

Jamie McGrath 8 - Outstanding display. Clever on the ball, tenacious off it and won the penalty before tiring late on.

Jamie McGrath 8  The St Mirren player deserves immense credit for how he has adjusted to this level and his intelligent, movement and technical ability came to the fore in this game.

Jamie McGrath.

He may not have got his goal, but it was a night to remember for Jamie McGrath in Stephen Kenny’s side as the former Dundalk midfielder ran rings around the Qataris.

McGrath almost made a move to the Championship during the summer from St Mirren, but that fell through at the last minute. While that may have been disappointing for him at the time, he may end up elsewhere if he continues to play like he did.

Edited by NorthBank

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, a search for his name on Twitter basically results in a tonne of RoI fans drooling uncontrollably. 

We had the same with McCann when he was with us from Northern Irish fans. You'd think nations like that, similar to Scotland wouldn't be surprised about how good players from our league actually are, but it is what it is. It's a real shame for St Mirren McGrath is out of contract in the summer, but that's the risk all teams in this league run. If you don't cash in on your assets you get a lot less than what they're really worth, if anything at all.

Real shame we don't have an extra year on his contract, and let's be honest here he's not signing an extension. Still, it's good for the club to see the progression he's had while here and hopefully will persuade other players in a similar situation to "take the gamble" with us.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

We had the same with McCann when he was with us from Northern Irish fans. You'd think nations like that, similar to Scotland wouldn't be surprised about how good players from our league actually are, but it is what it is. It's a real shame for St Mirren McGrath is out of contract in the summer, but that's the risk all teams in this league run. If you don't cash in on your assets you get a lot less than what they're really worth, if anything at all.

I honestly think we were expecting more bids for him in the summer than actually came in. McGrath/his agent were obviously keen on a move, hence the shameless last-minute hawking to Hibs, and I don't think we were being unreasonable in our circa-£800k demands. But for whatever reason, Middlesbrough pulled out late on and that was probably our best chance of getting decent cash.

I think off the back of this international break, interest in him is really going to increase now. He really seems to have a bit of swagger about him now. Very bittersweet that we'll get f'kall for him, but I bet Dundalk fans probably feel the same way.

He'll walk into a top-end Championship side, IMO, unless Celtic come in January and offer is a player as a makeweight, which I think is feasible.

32 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

McGrath would be mental to even consider going to teams like Hibs or Aberdeen in the next window.

Totally agree. He is way better than both those teams. Only thing is I would take Scott Allan as a replacement

McGrath would be mental to even consider going to teams like Hibs or Aberdeen in the next window.

Hibs had their chance in the summer but didn’t want to pay the fee, their loss and now their chance is gone.
I expect he will end up either at Celtic or more likely an English Championship club.
He’s now a full international so his stock is higher than it was in the summer so he can command more money. Can see a club like Boro who were interested in the summer offering him a five figure a week contract in January which will put every Scottish club outside the OF out the running.
Then hopefully they feel generous and allow us to keep him till May…

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I honestly think we were expecting more bids for him in the summer than actually came in. McGrath/his agent were obviously keen on a move, hence the shameless last-minute hawking to Hibs, and I don't think we were being unreasonable in our circa-£800k demands. But for whatever reason, Middlesbrough pulled out late on and that was probably our best chance of getting decent cash.

I think off the back of this international break, interest in him is really going to increase now. He really seems to have a bit of swagger about him now. Very bittersweet that we'll get f'kall for him, but I bet Dundalk fans probably feel the same way.

He'll walk into a top-end Championship side, IMO, unless Celtic come in January and offer is a player as a makeweight, which I think is feasible.

Depends on the market really. If it's top end Championship clubs then there's every chance they'd be willing to pay up in January to get him rather than risk a wages auction on a PCA.

Not comparing them as players but we were looking for around £750k-ish for Moult when he went into the last year of his deal and Aberdeen were offering £250k or whatever (cue Willie Miller & Richard Gordon having complete heads gone that we had the temerity to tell them to f**k off).

We eventually sold him to Preston in January for £500k. Arguably McGrath's stock is higher than Moult's was given the international stuff. Also depends on what the player wants to do I guess.

Lewis Jamieson got another start for us in the SPFL Trust Trophy and he linked well with Mckay again as we came from behind to sword Elgin. Nice finish as well for our 4th goal.

The two of them seem to work well together and with Mckay looking almost certain to start this weekend after his hat trick I wouldn't be too averse to Jamieson also getting a chance to show what he can do in the league. The fact that he would have a chance to score against Morton would serve as extra motivation for him I'm sure...

20 hours ago, RiG said:

Lewis Jamieson got another start for us in the SPFL Trust Trophy and he linked well with Mckay again as we came from behind to sword Elgin. Nice finish as well for our 4th goal.

The two of them seem to work well together and with Mckay looking almost certain to start this weekend after his hat trick I wouldn't be too averse to Jamieson also getting a chance to show what he can do in the league. The fact that he would have a chance to score against Morton would serve as extra motivation for him I'm sure...

I thought Inverness was an odd move for him as it was always going to be difficult to hold down a regular spot with McKay, Duku and Sutherland there. Good to see he's been given a chance and looks to have done well in the games he's played. I'd hope working with Dodds, and McKay as well, would be good for his development. 

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I thought Inverness was an odd move for him as it was always going to be difficult to hold down a regular spot with McKay, Duku and Sutherland there. Good to see he's been given a chance and looks to have done well in the games he's played. I'd hope working with Dodds, and McKay as well, would be good for his development. 

He's scored the same number of goals as Duku despite playing about 25% less this season. Despite Duku working hard I think it's time for a change up front for us and I would love to see Mckay and Jamieson lead the line this weekend.