The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

The split opinion on Cammy MacPherson as a player interests me. I've quite liked him when I've seen him but know from experience that when players divide opinion as much, you often find they can fall into the Ross Callachan/Paul Paton category of running around a lot/trying hard which some supporters seem to lap up and place more emphasis on than anything else. 

Assuming he does do both those things, what's he actually like as a footballer? 

As a footballer he has a lot of dig and drive but not very strong technically. He's tenacious in that if you're having him in the holding mid role, he's like a wee terrier that he'll not give up on a lost cause, sometimes to his own detriment when he snaps into challenges a bit too much.

He'll give you plenty though and is rarely one of those players who a game passes by and is anonymous, I recall very few games where I felt he's a bit of an empty shirt. I don't honestly think we've ever found a way to perform to his strengths - he's one of those lads that you think every now and then he's cracked it with a brilliant performance but the next 2 games will turn in a showing where he works hard and gets involved as usual but constantly misplaces passes and gives possession away.

He is a fan favourite because he's a trier, but sometimes you just need a wee bit more IMO.

14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:
I'm wondering how McGrath was in Middlesbrough yesterday when he is preparing for tonight's International with the Ireland squad ? 

Wee clue, wings, tail, engines under each wing.

So he was aloud to leave the Irish training camp 24 hours before a crucial World Cup game in which he started to fly back and forth to England. You believe what you want 🤣

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

As for McGrath, I wonder if any of the transfer chat has affected him. He's not been great so far this season but then he's been far from bad and overall the team has been pretty pish.

He knows he's going, or at least we know he won't be signing an extension, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed he didn't go in the window that just shut if he ends up having a stellar 6 months (and he's certainly capable of that) in order to promote himself for his next contract - wherever that is.

McGrath is the type that won't down tolls. He made to cross last night for Ireland to score. I reckon it was planned to move McGrath on in the hope to up Goodwin's budget to help strengthen the squad. Not McGrath will go for nothing. 

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

The split opinion on Cammy MacPherson as a player interests me. I've quite liked him when I've seen him but know from experience that when players divide opinion as much, you often find they can fall into the Ross Callachan/Paul Paton category of running around a lot/trying hard which some supporters seem to lap up and place more emphasis on than anything else. 

He’s a blood and guts sort of player. Strong in the tackle, always looks to drive forward and loves the occasional worldy.

However, games tend to get away from him. He can go missing for large spells and generally lacks that bit of quality you’d expect in the top flight.

A proper 100% effort sort, but in terms of quality can be found lacking at times.

I’d like to see Cammy go on an do well at Saints, but in all honesty I think he’s a lower Premiership/very good Championship player at best.

That said, I would certainly have preferred to keep him over punting him to a rival.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve said for months that Erhahon is just an accident waiting to happen every game. The amount of times he is unable to control a pass, which results in him lunging in to a tackle that he’s not favourite to win, must happen 3/4 times a game. He’s dished out some absolutely shocking tackles in his short time in the first team. I don’t know how many times he has been sent off for us over the last couple of years but it must be at least 5.

That’s not to say there is no hope of him improving, because he has shown signs of doing that in both his physical appearance and technical game, but in my opinion he’s not of the ability to be a starting CM for any Scottish Premiership side at this time. He’s going to be suspended for a couple of games now so it will be interesting to see who Goodwin picks in midfield, I assume McGrath and Ronan will be given a chance together. From Ronan’s interview he says he can play the deeper role, so I’m expecting to see him there. 

I think there is a possibility that we may see Ronan sitting beside Power when he returns from suspension and there will be games where we will rotate. 

He was said to have been a replacement for McGrath by the media. That could be correct, though he could also possibly be the player that replaces the void left by Jake Doyle Hayes. 

I like Erhahon, though he has went off the boil for quite a while now. He did have a decent game against Livy in the cup, though as you say, sometimes his lack of quick distribution of the ball catches him out at times and results in him fouling to get the ball back. 
I'm not sure if the style of play this season has affected his game. He seemed to be more of a midfield sweeper before.

Edited by smellthepaw

I'm going to be honest here, I don't think anyone expects McGrath to down tools in any way.

I do, however, think the transfer talk may have "taken him off the boil".

Ideally he'll come back with a point to prove, have a stormer of a half season with a club paying more than they'd have been willing to just now purely to guarantee his immediate contract rather than gamble on a PCA. That's unlikely to be the case, well the latter part of it, but we can but hope.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm going to be honest here, I don't think anyone expects McGrath to down tools in any way.

I do, however, think the transfer talk may have "taken him off the boil".

Ideally he'll come back with a point to prove, have a stormer of a half season with a club paying more than they'd have been willing to just now purely to guarantee his immediate contract rather than gamble on a PCA. That's unlikely to be the case, well the latter part of it, but we can but hope.

Hard to know if he’s off the boil in our world of fucking hoofball.

4 hours ago, Radford said:

I think he will benefit from the loan more than we will. 
I’d have preferred to have kept him but we have plenty of not quite first choice guys that can play centre mid. 
Playing a want away centre back in his position on Saturday tells you he wasn’t wanted. 
Will give his all, likes a shot as much as he likes a mistimed tackle. 
ironically I don’t think he has recovered from getting sent off at Perth. 

21 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

I think he will benefit from the loan more than we will.

If, as @Coventry Saint mentioned, this is the final year of his contract, then it's pretty clear we won't benefit at all. If anything, I can only see negatives to the deal, which would only increase if we are paying a single penny for him to be loaned there.

37 minutes ago, Ric said:

If, as @Coventry Saint mentioned, this is the final year of his contract, then it's pretty clear we won't benefit at all. If anything, I can only see negatives to the deal, which would only increase if we are paying a single penny for him to be loaned there.

We will need to offer him a new contract though , if we want a development fee for him !

6 minutes ago, billyg said:

We will need to offer him a new contract though , if we want a development fee for him !

Indeed, after all, it worked with JDH. No idea how much we managed to wring out of hibs, but it must have been enough for a chippy for all the lads.

It's all academic now of course, but I always felt MacPherson was a bit like Stewart for us. A player there but needed a season or two in the lower leagues. We sold Stewart to County rather than loan him, and we're loaning MacPherson to the farmers without any ability to benefit from that loan.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea if either of these guys were willing to extend their deals and perhaps the outcomes are for the best, I do feel we might be missing out on MacPherson developing.

That said, he could easily of turned into a Baird, where a player who has come through the youth system is a fan favourite because of that, but ultimately doesn't develop enough to be a regular starter. You have the situation of them constantly sitting on the bench and nobody being happy about it; fans, manager and player alike.

Edited by Ric

I don't think I'll be watching a game in the stadium at least until next year, and perhaps even next season.

It really all depends on what they do regarding people turning up at the gate. I'm not a ST holder and I don't go enough to justify the cost.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I don't think I'll be watching a game in the stadium at least until next year, and perhaps even next season.

It really all depends on what they do regarding people turning up at the gate. I'm not a ST holder and I don't go enough to justify the cost.

Is that due to Covid Ric that you might get infected ? There was no social distancing that I could see at the St Johnstone game. 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Is that due to Covid Ric that you might get infected ? There was no social distancing that I could see at the St Johnstone game. 

No, I'm vaccinated and happily wear a mask and avoid licking public surfaces so all in all.. I'm not overly bothered about catching Covid (Of course a comment like that is like showing the V sign to fate, although I think I've already had Covid in March of last year). It's more the availability of those tickets, and then in turn the ease at which you can get into the stadium