The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Thanks for the clarification I think I’ve got about 3 games mixed up :lol: I was sure it was 7-1 the game Venegoor dived outside the box, but now I think about it I can’t remember anyone scoring for Saints. 

It was the 1st game of the season, live on Sky.  Smith was the ref, VoH was fouling Haining and got his shot away then fell over. Smith gave the penalty and red carded Haining for denying a goal scoring opportunity which was ridiculous.

Robson scored as Mark Howard allowed the ball to squirm under his body. The game finished 1-0.

Saints appealed and allegedly Smith refused to review the video of the incident and the red card stood.

I'm pretty sure we haven't lost 7-1 at Celtic Park since the 80s. 

10 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Give you a wave on the way past, did you really think it was going to go well this season recruiting from a relegated team ?

At this point most would go with "the players aren't being used most effectively" rather than "the players are shit".

It remains to be seen, of course, and you are welcome to bookmark that comment for later should the latter of those become the presiding opinion.

29 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Give you a wave on the way past, did you really think it was going to go well this season recruiting from a relegated team ?

To be fair we desperately needed someone like Power last season, he had his first bad game yesterday with a daft tackle.

Brophy has scored goals at this level and we beat the likes of Aberdeen to his signature.

Kiltie is a bit of a weird one as it doesn't look like he fits in the team beside McGrath, but that probably won't be an issue for much longer.

If we signed your defence and goalkeepers I'd have been more concerned. 

44 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair we desperately needed someone like Power last season, he had his first bad game yesterday with a daft tackle.

Brophy has scored goals at this level and we beat the likes of Aberdeen to his signature.

Kiltie is a bit of a weird one as it doesn't look like he fits in the team beside McGrath, but that probably won't be an issue for much longer.

Think the Aberdeen connection with Brophy was well wide, if  they wanted him I don’t think he would have joined you.

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

It was Will Haining who was red carded and the game finished 1-0 but apart from that...

And I think Smith played advantage, JvoH got the shot off - didn't score - then gave Celtic a penalty and red carded Haining.

Appalling decision, but as IrishBhoy said, those things weren't (and aren't) unusual at Celtic Park (or Ibrox).

Edited by Bobby_F

4 hours ago, gordon.kennedy said:
4 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:
When are you guys going to officially take Kennedy off our hands? What's been the hold up? He was having a medical on Tuesday/Wednesday last week apparently

I don't think the medical took place We might not be taking him as you have long term injuries. Decision to be made next week.

The decision has already been made. Nothing to do with injuries, he’s not in the squad today either.

10 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Power is just a shite version of Stephen McGinn, you guys did us a massive favour offering a deal....

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You're mixing two games up.

The game in question was 1-0, it was the first game of the season and the penalty and red happened about halfway through the second half after we'd been the better side. You are correct that Eddie Smith was the ref and JVOH did indeed dive after a touch on the shoulder... we did indeed complain about it but it was worse than fucking us up after 30 seconds, as we were well on our way to a possible point at the moment Smith changed the game.

The 7-0 game you are thinking about, we were getting horsed after 90 seconds and it descended from there but there wasn't a man sent off. We beat them 1-0 in the cup the following week.

The 7-0 game, I'm sure there was a red card in that game(Jack Ross) as McManus did a similar foul in the cup game for the penalty that Mehmet scored, yet didn't get sent off. I can remember Ross moaning at the ref that he got sent off for the same thing 😂

7 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Power is just a shite version of Stephen McGinn, you guys did us a massive favour offering a deal....

Yeah, if McGinn was playing at a higher level, you wouldn't be saying that.

Got a lot of time for him, and it's odd seeing him in a different kit, but McGinn just couldn't cut it in the premiership, it's why, when Hibs took him (because Jack Ross fucking loves singing St Mirren players!) he hardly played, and afaik he never even started a game.

11 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Definitely think McGrath will be away in the next week.

We are players short in various positions , so I wouldn't be surprised to see McGrath and McCarthy away to free up some money  to bring in another 4 or 5 !