The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We are at snails pace but we lack more than pace. Positioning is all over the place and our ability to close players down is shocking. Kiltie cannot play in the same team as McGrath and we have strikers who just don't know how to score goals. 

This is a major test for Goodwin and I hope the board sanction a few players out and better quality in this week. Matty Kennedy is not the saviour

We have strikers that are equal to our nearest competitors in the goal scoring stakes.

We are at snails pace but we lack more than pace. Positioning is all over the place and our ability to close players down is shocking. Kiltie cannot play in the same team as McGrath and we have strikers who just dont know how to score goals. 
This is a major test for Goodwin and I hope the board sanction a few players out and better quality in this week. Matty Kennedy is not the saviour
I would disagree that we have strikers that don't know how to score if we feed brophy and main they will score but that's our problem since Jim took over. We are set up to be hard to beat all the time not attacking football. The 3 5 2 more often than not turns into 5 3 2

I would disagree that we have strikers that don't know how to score if we feed brophy and main they will score but that's our problem since Jim took over. We are set up to be hard to beat all the time not attacking football. The 3 5 2 more often than not turns into 5 3 2

My issue is it feels that the 3-5-2, as we play it, is very narrow some how. We have players in the wing back position not willing to take a run and try get by players. They are looking for the pass. This then instead of dragging say McGrath and Kiltie wide to be options for them, drags the strikers out wide, rendering them useless.

I believe if we are to play 3-5-2 that it really needs to be a 3-4-1-2. We should have 2 anchoring Midfielders as Power cannot do it all alone. The 2 anchoring Midfielders can then, if the wing backs are attacking, cover the wings if need be.

I feel the anchoring Midfielders don't need to be two defensive midfielders, but we maybe need a box to box there too. I feel Kiltie and McGrath cannot play in the same team and Kiltie is a ghost because they are.

I feel if the wing backs cannot run with the ball, but can cross, then we need the attacking midfielder to run the line across the pitch higher up the pitch as being an option to the wing back out wide to pass to, hold the ball up or run with to allow the wing back to over lap or have an inverted run.

This would allow the strikers to do what they need to do rather than supporting out wide. This would allow Main to really be nipping the defense all game. Being able to hold the ball up etc. This would allow Brophy to always be trying to get in behind off of this too.

I feel this would make us more effective.
Kiltie is a sub for McGrath in my eyes... Or McAllister is to sit behind the strikers.

Saying that all about the 3-5-2, I feel we need 3/4 more players to give us change options if formation isn't working. Sadly we wouldn't have the budget for it.

* Pacey RWB that actually fits into this 3-5-2 formation.

* LB. A more defensive left footed LB. A left sided Fraser if it exists. Allow Tanser to move up and be a LM/LW. This would allow us to play 4 solid players along the back in another formation.

* We need either a solid no nonsense CDM to play along side Power or a box to box midfielder who can push the ball up the park. Get away from McGrath and Kiltie in the same line up

* Pacey RM/RW. This would allow to change to back 4 and have width with Fraser at RB of back 4.

* If it exists in our budget a big, strong and pacey forward who can play with someone or play alone up front.

I’ve got visions of Goodwin sitting in his house watching the game on Hesgoal, 3 minutes behind the live play with Lee Sharp on loud speaker, making tactical changes whilst we are taking kick off after another Celtic goal. 

I remember going to a game at Parkhead years ago with my uncle where Venegoor of Hesselink dived 3 yards outside the box after a touch from Jack Ross about 90 seconds into the game. That would have been fine if it wasn’t for the fact Eddie Smith was the referee, a serving police officer who’s Dad was the Match Commander and both were absolutely die hard Celtic fans. Naturally Jack Ross got sent off for the crime of putting his hand on Venegoors shoulder, and a penalty was awarded for the foul 3 yards outside the box. The game finished 7-1 and Celtic fans went home happy that their poor downtrodden multi million pound team had defied the odds yet again. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve got visions of Goodwin sitting in his house watching the game on Hesgoal, 3 minutes behind the live play with Lee Sharp on loud speaker, making tactical changes whilst we are taking kick off after another Celtic goal. 

I remember going to a game at Parkhead years ago with my uncle where Venegoor of Hesselink dived 3 yards outside the box after a touch from Jack Ross about 90 seconds into the game. That would have been fine if it wasn’t for the fact Eddie Smith was the referee, a serving police officer who’s Dad was the Match Commander and both were absolutely die hard Celtic fans. Naturally Jack Ross got sent off for the crime of putting his hand on Venegoors shoulder, and a penalty was awarded for the foul 3 yards outside the box. The game finished 7-1 and Celtic fans went home happy that their poor downtrodden multi million pound team had defied the odds yet again. 

This will be a bizarre post for any new viewers to the site, considering your username.

6 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i bet you get/got a lot of ''big team found''

I feel like I am more qualified to comment on Celtic fans after being taken to games since I was a toddler. When I grew up and realised I’m basically turning up to cheer on a team that’s got every possible advantage in their favour I looked elsewhere. No matter what sport I watch I always like to support the underdog, I got no pleasure from watching Martin O Neils Celtic team putting 3 or 4 past teams most weeks, where it got to the stage the fans were cheering the goals in the same manner you would politely clap a golfer rolling in a 4 footer at the Open. 

46 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It was Will Haining who was red carded and the game finished 1-0 but apart from that...

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

It was Will Haining who was red carded.

I stand corrected but I’m sure the rest of the post is accurate. If I remember correctly Gus McPherson asked for Eddie Smith to never referee another St Mirren game after his display that day, but he ended up retiring as a referee soon after to pursue his career in the police? 

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I feel like I am more qualified to comment on Celtic fans after being taken to games since I was a toddler. When I grew up and realised I’m basically turning up to cheer on a team that’s got every possible advantage in their favour I looked elsewhere. No matter what sport I watch I always like to support the underdog, I got no pleasure from watching Martin O Neils Celtic team putting 3 or 4 past teams most weeks, where it got to the stage the fans were cheering the goals in the same manner you would politely clap a golfer rolling in a 4 footer at the Open. 

but i thought you weren't ever allowed to change teams ?

4 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

but i thought you weren't ever allowed to change teams ?

Who made that rule? I go to St Mirren games where sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. Celtic fans turn up and watch a procession 9 times out of 10, some of the fans don’t even stand up when the 5th goes in.