The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

"Linked" with Kennedy again, it's in the Record without a single source or quote.

If you believe the Record, and let's be honest that's always a hard ask, then it's apparently between us and County. St Johnstone are out of the race after having to spend way over the odds for MoH and Middleton thanks to them being linked to us.

Underwhelming to say the least, imo. I cannot see what he's actually bring to the side that we either don't have already or would need to change the shape to accommodate.

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

...would need to change the shape to accommodate.

Here's hoping.

I promised not to whinge about tactics ever again after the Parkhead win, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced by the 3-5-2. 

The only advantage is the fact it lets us play with two strikers, and lets us play McGrath in his preferred position, but both Hearts and Dundee have exposed its weaknesses.

Edited by Coventry Saint

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I promised not to whinge about tactics ever again after the Parkhead win, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced by the 3-5-2.

I've never been convinced by 3-5-2. Not since the minute Goodwin switched to it. We've had some success, sure, but the frailties are just far too obvious. Am I demanding 4-4-2, jumpers for goalposts, oranges at half time? No, but I'm sure we can have a progressive shape without 3 at the back.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Where would you lads like Kennedy dropped off?

Dingwall train station, please.

5 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Also - get McCarthy back in the team. Thanks.

Replacing whom?

Not Fraser, not Shaughnessy so I presume Dunne and I've got to be honest while I was sceptical regarding Dunne's arrival after such a long time out, he's a better defender with better distribution. Could McCarthy develop? Of course he could, but as it is now he (for me) is behind Dunne.

We are the only team in the League playing two strikers. The plan is the get high balls into them quickly from the wing backs with the midfield playing a high press to get the second balls. It ain't working.

We only have one decent wing back and even he can drift out of the game. The two strikers are not good enough to win the crosses coming in and get them on target. The supporting midfield is too high up the park leaving the defence exposed. The defence just lump high balls up the middle. Shite formation and shite tactics.

Last season we defended well but did not score enough. This season we have changed to a defence that is leaking goals and too many up top trying to score but not doing so. Tweaking the team to improve the scoring rate was what was required and not a complete change of formation and long ball punts.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Replacing whom?

Not Fraser, not Shaughnessy so I presume Dunne and I've got to be honest while I was sceptical regarding Dunne's arrival after such a long time out, he's a better defender with better distribution. Could McCarthy develop? Of course he could, but as it is now he (for me) is behind Dunne.

My answer is going to be really vague and simplistic here, because I'm not really sure to be honest. But I think, after conceding four goals in two games, I'd like to see him back in the team. Tough one. 

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Replacing whom?

Play Fraser at WB. He is better there than Tait or Henderson. That allows McCarthy back in. McCarthy, imho, is a far better player than Dunne. He can play the ball out of defence whereas Dunne just lumps the ball as far up the park as he can using aiming for a WB and missing.

Just now, NorthBank said:

McCarthy, imho, is a far better player than Dunne. He can play the ball out of defence whereas Dunne just lumps the ball as far up the park as he can using aiming for a WB and missing.

Be interesting to see how many Saints fans see it like you do. I, as you probably guessed, don't.. ;)

10 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We are the only team in the League playing two strikers. The plan is the get high balls into them quickly from the wing backs with the midfield playing a high press to get the second balls. It ain't working.

We only have one decent wing back and even he can drift out of the game. The two strikers are not good enough to win the crosses coming in and get them on target. The supporting midfield is too high up the park leaving the defence exposed. The defence just lump high balls up the middle. Shite formation and shite tactics.

Last season we defended well but did not score enough. This season we have changed to a defence that is leaking goals and too many up top trying to score but not doing so. Tweaking the team to improve the scoring rate was what was required and not a complete change of formation and long ball punts.

TBF Jim was pretty wedded to 3-5-2 in the latter stages of las year as well. 

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

Be interesting to see how many Saints fans see it like you do. I, as you probably guessed, don't.. ;)

Got to agree with Northbank here.

Dunne distribution is pretty poor to say the least. That being said I don’t think he’s had a poor game for us yet but his passing is definitely not one of his string points. 

Fraser at WB and McCarthy in the back 3 is how I would go as well. 

"Linked" with Kennedy again, it's in the Record without a single source or quote.
If you believe the Record, and let's be honest that's always a hard ask, then it's apparently between us and County. St Johnstone are out of the race after having to spend way over the odds for MoH and Middleton thanks to them being linked to us.
Underwhelming to say the least, imo. I cannot see what he's actually bring to the side that we either don't have already or would need to change the shape to accommodate.
I could easily see him being utilised Durmus style as a wing back which is exactly what we need.