The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I've still to see it, but unless it was intentionally malicious rather than just stupid then the bigger issue is not that he necessarily got sent off but the timing of it. Ultimately people calling for Dennis to be dumped have to ask themselves, "..and replaced by whom?" With the market we are in, it's unlikely we'd get an "upgrade" meanwhile Dennis is under contract and (presumably) settled. 

It was as clear a red card as you will likely see regardless of whether he touched the Hearts player. He just walked off when Michael Smith was needlessly in his face after the incident so I do think it was just a real moment of daftness for Dennis and there is no reason to be concern about him. 

That being said - the only players we would struggle to replace immediately are those who have outgrown the squad in terms of ability & experience, like McLean & McGinn. McGrath & Erhahon will probably be the next ones. If Dennis were to be chucked, he could always be upgraded on. 

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

If Dennis were to be chucked, he could always be upgraded on. 

I mean, sure, he could, but considering the money we are paying the league we are playing in and factor in English Brexit into the mix and you have fairly slim pickings.

The red seems a bit out of character for him though, as even when he's been struggling to get into the team and maybe "trying too hard" I never saw any nastiness in his play. Maybe I just wasn't looking closely enough.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Looked decent tbh.

One of the few to get pass marks. Getting stuck in, getting about the pitch ok. Being hung out to dry a bit with Kiltie and McGrath in the middle with him, we looked better with Erhahon in beside him.

Its Kiltie I am more concerned with.

If we're not bringing in any more central midfielders then we should give McPherson a run playing alongside Power. McPherson has a lot more about him than Erhahon and Kiltie , and he made a difference yesterday !

From what I have heard a saw yesterday admittedly from a broken stream it was poor but then again if you sign players that were the reason for a team getting relegated the season before why do we think they will improve our team. Lc games and 2 games into the season you have to think top six maybe a step too far think our usual 10th or 9th this season might be more achievable.

6 hours ago, Ric said:

I mean he's bound to get punished, but that's punishing the fans too! :lol:

I've still to see it, but unless it was intentionally malicious rather than just stupid then the bigger issue is not that he necessarily got sent off but the timing of it. Ultimately people calling for Dennis to be dumped have to ask themselves, "..and replaced by whom?" With the market we are in, it's unlikely we'd get an "upgrade" meanwhile Dennis is under contract and (presumably) settled. I do fear the "if not now, then when..." though, as he's threatened to be a decent finisher but opportunities have been thin (a mix between injuries and circumstance) and if he doesn't start chucking the ball into the net then I really don't see him extending his stay beyond the next 6 months. It's a real important season for him at the club and it's not started well.

Totally agree and from a manager stand point, if Jim publicly backs Dennis then it shows the player and the squad that the manager has their back. SAF made a career out of creating a siege mentality. 
Publicly throwing your player under the bus is the quickest way to lose a dressing room.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We narrowly lost to a team with massively more resources, our 1st defeat of the season. It was an even match bar 1st 20m. All this long hard season talk is a massive over reaction. The troll infested cesspit that is BWA even has utter roasters demanding Goodwin goes as he apparently "hasn't got a clue" and has signed duds. Reading the currants reaction to their defeats yesterday makes me think we are acting like them.

Perspective required. We are still in a transfer window where we know more movement both ways is certain. The 2 promoted teams first games is the absolute WORST time to get them before the reality and a few defeats kicks in, they historically always start well. Let's just calm down, we will be fine, no long hard battle ahead imo.

I've come to terms that this is modern football culture. 

When I first started going your football fill was Friday Sportscene, going to the game, reading the match report in the paper then Scotsport Sunday dinner time. Forget about it during the week then start looking forward to the next game at the end of the week.

Now all the guys who get their frustrations out on a Saturday carry that over onto social media and message boards every hour of every day. A bad result is agonised over in hundreds of posts. Throw into the mix all the daft speculation, slanging matches and the armchair tacticians sharing their views on "shape" and false 9s whilst on a break from their job in telesales on a Tuesday afternoon. Sportsound is on every night! What is there to say? How much time is given over to Michael Stewart saying "I don't think there's any question...." ?

Madhouse. Less is more for me.

10 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Hi

Jake Doyle-Hayes and Kyle Magennis are good at football.

Thanks

Bye

Both are good at football, one you may find is pushing for a move/ more money in about 6 months time.

Ross County, St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic All cleared for capacity attendances while at the SMISA stadium we can have 5,000 at least season ticket holders and 2,000 paying fans can get in so not all bad. 
We don't have a 1st team home game until 28th. I assume we will have rectified the mystery issues and applied for full capacity by then, no real rush. You can bet your bottom dollar we will jump through every and any hoop put in our way before either of the cheeks rolls into town !!!

We don't have a 1st team home game until 28th. I assume we will have rectified the mystery issues and applied for full capacity by then, no real rush. You can bet your bottom dollar we will jump through every and any hoop put in our way before either of the cheeks rolls into town !!!

We’ve got until 23 October for that then. I’m sure the club will make sure they get everything just right with the main stand works, so 2 months might be needed…

Would be so much easier if the club actually specified what the issues were/are!

As ever the margins of error for us in the top flight are gonna be paper thin this season. I think Saturday's game against Livi will be significant as the continuity in their management helped them to leap ahead of us after we were both promoted inn 2018 but I sensed the gap was closing - statin the bleedin' obvious  but a win on Saturday (any sort) will be significant to us for all sorts of reasons.

On a more general note I was pretty happy with the business JG did at the start of the window but the end where teams are trying to fine-tune their squads by offloading surplus players and replacing them with similar from "bigger" clubs is also vital - I'm already looking forward to the buttock clenching last 48 hours...

As ever the margins of error for us in the top flight are gonna be paper thin this season. I think Saturday's game against Livi will be significant as the continuity in their management helped them to leap ahead of us after we were both promoted inn 2018 but I sensed the gap was closing - statin the bleedin' obvious  but a win on Saturday (any sort) will be significant to us for all sorts of reasons.

On a more general note I was pretty happy with the business JG did at the start of the window but the end where teams are trying to fine-tune their squads by offloading surplus players and replacing them with similar from "bigger" clubs is also vital - I'm already looking forward to the buttock clenching last 48 hours...

You do know it’s the cup on Saturday?

55 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

You do know it’s the cup on Saturday?

Yeah but I decided the chance to measure what (if any) progress has been made is more to do with the general nature of the season than anything else.

Edited by btb