The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Sad to see Gordon stand down but hope he'll stick around for awhile on the board. The board have said that decisions made are collegiate with the Chairman's role maybe not being quite as it is as some other clubs so maybe the change won't be that big a deal.

John Needham.... saw him interviewed by Ali de Foy at HT in one of the games last season and was impressed. Spoke well and seemed like a really enthusiastic and positive guy. A St Mirren diehard with 40 years experience high up in the banking sector seems like a decent combination.

John Needham is a damn good choice as our new chairman. 

Gordon Scott will remain as a director after handing over the reins to John. 

What a job he’s done in not only stabilising the club from a very precarious position, but he’s been the main driving force behind the fan ownership, right from the start. 

Bravo to the outgoing chairman and the previous board for all they’ve achieved in time slot that’s way ahead of schedule.

29 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Middleton can fill in the McGrath roll as well so IMO he would give us another good option should McGrath leave or is injured

A very expensive option for potentially a bit part player, given we also have Kiltie, who can fill that role.

26 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He has done a great job - in the 2 years before Scott took charge we had a pretty ridiculous turnover of managers (the only one who could feel slightly hard done by being Teale). 

The word I would use to describe the tail end of the previous board would be "stale". They'd all had enough and wanted to move on, which was fair enough. It was the time for fresh faces and ideas and it's ended up working out brilliantly.

Every club ownership makes mistakes. Just look at Celtic’s self-inflicted fall off a cliff from a position of absolute dominance. Prior to the ‘GLS’ era, over the piece, SG & Co put in a more than decent shift. Over many years, that ownership group steered the ship on a pretty even keel without too many major dramas. Goodness knows, there were enough major dramas at other clubs during SG & Co’s reign which they managed to navigate our vessel well away from.

Good luck to the new ownership model. Personally, I’m not looking for a quantum leap forward towards some sort of ‘next level’. Just keep the heid’, don’t fcuk things up, do your best, and what will be will be.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Good luck to the new ownership model. Personally, I’m not looking for a quantum leap forward towards some sort of ‘next level’. Just keep the heid’, don’t fcuk things up, do your best, and what will be will be.

This. Big fan of stability here. The size of club we are, there's always going to be a chance of relegation, so making sure we do everything we can to a) avoid it and b) make sure it's not a financial catastrophe if it does happen are my main baseline priorities. 'Progress' beyond that is a bonus.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

So when is Middleton being announced?

Personally I'm not that bothered, it's the fact that certain other supporters seem bothered that's good "for the bantz".

Have you not been keeping up with your big team? We've currently got a better* player having a medical who plays the same positions as Middleton.

*he's a 6'+ blue eyed blonde Scandinavian so is obviously going to be better at everything compared to glenn the hobbit.

Edit: getting in through catflaps, glenn may be better at that but until I see it I'm not believing it. 

Edited by tree house tam

20 hours ago, GAD said:

Most of the fucking loonies stormed off in the huff and stopped paying in years ago, because they didn't like a strip, or they didn't get a personal visit from Gordon Scott over some trivial email, or they disagreed with a vote that won by 97%. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

Where is Shull these days?

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Have you not been keeping up with your big team? We've currently got a better* player having a medical who plays the same positions as Middleton.

*he's a 6'+ blue eyed blonde Scandinavian so is obviously going to be better at everything compared to glenn the hobbit.

Edit: getting in through catflaps, glenn may be better at that but until I see it I'm not believing it. 

Signing Brigette Neilsen will be some coup for St. Johnstone.