The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I would prefer McCarthy to Shaughnessy but Jim wants Shaughnessy as captain and no longer plays a back four. I think unfortunately he would want to sell McCarthy as he also paid a transfer fee for Finlayson as a backup centre half.

If McCarthy's away, I could see us going down this route for the 'replacement' - young promising lad who may well end up going out on loan straight away.

I get finlayson is young and one for the future but on the couple of occasions I’ve seen him he’s been a bomb scare! 

McCarthy is a class act, and would like to think he would get into any side in the league outside the OF. In resigned to losing him though unfortunately, I reckon 2-300k plus add ons is as good as we’re going to get 

I would rather McCarthy played at the right side side of the back 3 with Fraser as wingback. 

At some point in the season, someone from the defence will miss games to due to yellow/red cards or injury, so i think it would be madness to sell him prior to the league starting. 

I'm not sure McCarthy playing on the right of the three would fit into Jim's system. Think of how Tierney plays in the Scotland back three - advancing up the field, swapping with Roberston, basically an attacking defensive player. I think he's trying to get Fraser to play that role, and as a full-back, the attacking part comes pretty naturally to him. The perfect example is the win at Parkhead last season. Fraser was pushing up all the time and gave Celtic a real headache. I don't think McCarthy would fit in that role.

Edited to add: I think McCarthy is excellent. But Shaughnessy is captain and performs a vital role for us. And now Dunne has given us some left-sided balance in the back line. Normally I'd have McCarthy as the first name on the teamsheet. 

Edited by ulysses

14 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I'm not sure McCarthy playing on the right of the three would fit into Jim's system. Think of how Tierney plays in the Scotland back three - advancing up the field, swapping with Roberston, basically an attacking defensive player. I think he's trying to get Fraser to play that role, and as a full-back, the attacking part comes pretty naturally to him. The perfect example is the win at Parkhead last season. Fraser was pushing up all the time and gave Celtic a real headache. I don't think McCarthy would fit in that role.

Edited to add: I think McCarthy is excellent. But Shaughnessy is captain and performs a vital role for us. And now Dunne has given us some left-sided balance in the back line. Normally I'd have McCarthy as the first name on the teamsheet. 

Well summed up. It's a strange set of circumstances that sees arguably our best defender essentially being fourth choice, yet here we are. If anything, as you've said, it underlines the fact Jim has a plan and is prepared to stick to it.

Posted earlier about contacting club SLOs with three questions I had ahead of the Hearts home league opener - received clear and concise answers today to all three questions from the SLOs. Cleared up a few things. Well done the SLOs.

Edited by pozbaird

Due to various reasons, I'm not renewing my season ticket this year, but I'll still be able to make the odd home game. God knows when I'm going to be allowed in though. 😞

Edited by ulysses

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Posted earlier about contacting club SLOs with three questions I had ahead of the Hearts home league opener - received clear and concise answers today to all three questions from the SLOs. Cleared up a few things. Well done the SLOs.

would you like to share your q+a with us?

10 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

would you like to share your q+a with us?

Won’t go into specifics, simply because the answers to two of the questions still need to be officially confirmed publicly by the club, and the third was a personal question relating specifically to my own ST situation. Everything was in the ballpark of issues we’re all discussing anyway - fan numbers, ballots, SMTV coverage of games affected by ballots, the car park passes this season, facemasks and stewards.

Edited by pozbaird

12 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

McCarthy had a wee wobble after a tremendous introduction to Scottish football. 

He’s our best centre back by a distance and has the potential to go on to a higher level. 

Hopefully he signs a new deal and continues to progress. He’d be a first pick for me week in week out.

I'm not agreeing with that , he's a yard short of pace and is forever getting caught wrong side of his man.  I thought he was very poor in the run-in last season !

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Perhaps McCarthy's head's been turned knowing he will be off to a new club. This may be the reason why Fraser is being played instead. 

Fraser has signed a new deal , is committed to the club and has been outstanding , that why he's been playing !

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

The elephant in the room, of course, being that many of our fans are fucking mental. Mad that the same people who comment on the SMFC Facebook page might now have voting rights in relation to key club decisions.

Anyway... I've been in from day one and my name's on the wall. This is excellent news and I'm genuinely really pleased with how this has panned out. 

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

The elephant in the room, of course, being that many of our fans are fucking mental. Mad that the same people who comment on the SMFC Facebook page might now have voting rights in relation to key club decisions 

With 1100 SMISA members any lunatic fringe will have minimal influence. All votes the past 5 years have gone along expected lines I'd say.

My expectation is that the kinds of decisions that could go to a SMISA vote will be small potatoes like which strip to wear. We won't be voting for a new manager from a shortlist of 5! Where it could get interesting is if, let's say it's January, we're struggling to avoid the drop and the board goes to SMISA asking for money from the cash reserve to buy a player or two.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The elephant in the room, of course, being that many of our fans are fucking mental. Mad that the same people who comment on the SMFC Facebook page might now have voting rights in relation to key club decisions.

Anyway... I've been in from day one and my name's on the wall. This is excellent news and I'm genuinely really pleased with how this has panned out. 

I was in from the beginning and also have a spot on the wall. I know there’s a huge issue with the attendance limits at present. But you can’t take away from this monumental achievement in the clubs history. 

Lets hope board and fan relationship will improve now.