The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye, I read about Rotherham taking the piss with an alleged £100k.

Would any of Dylan McGeouch or Matty Kennedy be needed/wanted by Saints? You have a few centre mids so probably not McGeouch.

Would £250k & Kennedy be considered? 

Goodwin was keen on Kennedy before you signed him.

However, we're rumoured to be bringing in a winger this week so, probably not.

I don't remember Kennedy being particularly speedy when he played against us and we're in need of genuine pace.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Goodwin was keen on Kennedy before you signed him.

However, we're rumoured to be bringing in a winger this week so, probably not.

I don't remember Kennedy being particularly speedy when he played against us and we're in need of genuine pace.

I’ll be honest…. Kennedy is pish 😉

But if you don’t ask… 

Probably not the most popular opinion but £250k and Kennedy (who from what I remember at St. Johnstone isn't that fast but is pretty skilful) would be a decent bit of business for McCarthy.

Of course I'd rather he signed a new 3 year deal and pushed his value up to about £750k but in the last year of a centre half's contract that'd be decent business if he definitely wouldn't sign on again.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Probably not the most popular opinion but £250k and Kennedy (who from what I remember at St. Johnstone isn't that fast but is pretty skilful) would be a decent bit of business for McCarthy.

Of course I'd rather he signed a new 3 year deal and pushed his value up to about £750k but in the last year of a centre half's contract that'd be decent business if he definitely wouldn't sign on again.

Yeah, was about to say something to that effect. Truth is, we'd probably take the 250k without Kennedy, so would definitely take the deal with the player.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

How long is Kennedy under contract for, and has he been told by Glass that he’s surplus to requirements ?.

He is contracted to June 2023 I think.

Not aware he’s been told he’s not wanted but we have one or two who won’t get much game time & he might be one who we’d let go. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Snatch their hands off!  I would be very surprised if McCarthy would be any more than a squad player at Pittodrie. 

3 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Snatch their hands off!  I would be very surprised if McCarthy would be any more than a squad player at Pittodrie. 

Declan Gallagher & Andy Considine would be the perceived first picks, but Considine is getting on.

Are you saying McCarthy isn’t that good? On the rare occasions I’ve seen him I’ve liked him.

But you seem to be going with a back 3 of Fraser, Shaughnessy & Dunne.  

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Declan Gallagher & Andy Considine would be the perceived first picks, but Considine is getting on.

Are you saying McCarthy isn’t that good? On the rare occasions I’ve seen him I’ve liked him.

That’s right, I don’t think McCarthy is great. In particular I don’t think he shows up strong enough in the air as a central defender.  
I would expect us to almost always line up as a back three and that would be Fraser, Shaughnessy, Dunne. 

McCarthy is a class act. Played every game last season alongside Shaughnessy and Fraser. Dependable, reads the game well and confident to bring the ball well out of defence in a wee mazy run. Problem is they are all right footed.

We signed Dunne as a left footed centre back and Shaughnessy is captain. So its McCarthy or Fraser on the right and Fraser has far more experience bombing forward in a wing back role.

Outwith the OF McCarthy could easily play in the defence of any team in the League. We have offered him a new contract but could see him wanting to leave if he isn't a first pick. An asset to any team and hope he stays.

I'm a huge fan of McCarthy. He's a great young player. IMO he should be first pick, but the manager disagrees. He reads the game so well, has speed on the ground and is generally good in the air. Best CH we have IMO. Our loss will be somone elses gain.
From what I saw of yesterday's defensive performance, if it's repeated v Dundee and McCarthy stays, he'll be back in the team sooner rather than later.

McCarthy had a wee wobble after a tremendous introduction to Scottish football. 

He’s our best centre back by a distance and has the potential to go on to a higher level. 

Hopefully he signs a new deal and continues to progress. He’d be a first pick for me week in week out.

25 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s our best centre back by a distance and has the potential to go on to a higher level. 

Pleasingly for me, my system agrees with the "wisdom of crowds" on here. McCarthy your best CB by a distance, then fairly close between Fraser and Shaughnessy. Fraser edges it on mine as I look at "all round" figures and Shaughnessys limited role stunts him. 

Ranking is Shaughnessy the best out and out defender. McCarthy the best all round and Fraser the best on the ball.

I would prefer McCarthy to Shaughnessy but Jim wants Shaughnessy as captain and no longer plays a back four. I think unfortunately he would want to sell McCarthy as he also paid a transfer fee for Finlayson as a backup centre half.