The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, AW saint said:

Result was ok but performance was poor. I still think we lack enough quality.  Hopefully Jim can add to the squad

We're woefully lacking in terms of pace.

Not something we didn't know and I'm sure that JG will be in the process of addressing this shortcoming.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'd expect players like Kiltie, Flynn, Cammy and Erhahon to stand out in a game like this. Show their quality but nobody has stood out.

Here's one for@randomguy I've noticed Tanser take a lot of corners and set pieces for us in his first couple of games. Did he assist much from set pieces for the Perth Saints?

Our final ball has been rotten.

Didn’t tend to take too many set pieces I don’t think and certainly the ones he did take I don’t remember him setting up many goals. He was better from penalties and direct free kicks though, bagged a couple of them in his time. 

Difficult to take too much from these games. That was arguably our 2nd 11 give or take a few players - that in itself is encouraging and demonstrates the relative depth we have for aslong as I can remember.

We were far better in the 2nd half showing a bit more urgency, Far too many direct / diagonal balls for my liking but that was clearly the tactic, at least they weren’t aimless punts and are at least playing to some game plan (whether we agree with it or not). 

Didn’t think we had to get out of first gear either, although we relied on them switching off for our first two goals otherwise I do think we would have struggled to break them down. 

Finlayson had 3 bomb scare moments tonight next to McCarthy who hardly broke sweat.

All in all a decent, if uninspiring performance taking into account the number of changes we had in the side tonight.

On a positive our strikers are scoring in all our games so far. Ethan off the ball movment last night was good. Spraying passes around reminds me of the role JDH played. Some of his longer passes strayed but that could in part be down to a poor plastic pitch. The heat also played its part last night I for one can't wait for the first game of the season we have progressed no doubt about that. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

Hi all, the main commentator from WarriorsTV here, thank you for your feedback. We apologise for the issues with the camera system, it's an automatic camera that can be controlled by a person but unfortunately that person was unavailable for us tonight. I'm also sorry for saying "McGarth" instead of "McGrath" during the game, as McGarth was listed on the team sheet that I had, spotted a comment on twitter about it. 
All the best for the rest of the season! 
I thought you guys did fine despite mentioning that some Saints fans like a moan on P&B[emoji1]

9 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

Hi all, the main commentator from WarriorsTV here, thank you for your feedback. We apologise for the issues with the camera system, it's an automatic camera that can be controlled by a person but unfortunately that person was unavailable for us tonight. I'm also sorry for saying "McGarth" instead of "McGrath" during the game, as McGarth was listed on the team sheet that I had, spotted a comment on twitter about it. 

All the best for the rest of the season! 

I enjoyed your commentary.

I laughed when you described our second goal as one that you might lose at a 5-aside game.:lol: 

There were a few of our support on other websites criticising the cameraman even after I had pointed out that it was most likely automated.

I thought you looked compact and passed the ball well and your defence made some good, strong tackles. You certainly didn't make it easy for us.

You and other supporters seem to have it in for your 'keeper. He was certainly to blame, in part, for our first, but he had no chance with the other two.

Anyway, hope you have a good season.

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm pretty sure he scored both flavours against us at SMP.

He scored with a shot from outside the box in the aforementioned 3-2 game.

Marcus Fraser didn't get close enough to him and he picked his spot.

32 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He scored with a shot from outside the box in the aforementioned 3-2 game.

Marcus Fraser didn't get close enough to him and he picked his spot.

Yeah that’s was the only open play goal he meant for us. Think he got 5, 2 penalties, 1 free kick, a mishit cross and that goal. Always felt he should score more given how good he strikes a ball; however I think a lot of why he crosses so much is that he panics anywhere near the 18 yard box and loses all composure. 

The new singings seem to have settled in well. Two assists in two games for Kiltie, two goals in two games for Main. Also solid performances from Tanser and Power.
We have a bit of stability around the club on and off the park for the first time in years, and the benefits are clear. Goodwin had obviously identified his targets a good while ago as safety was assured.
That means the majority of our new signings will have a full pre season and league cup group campaign behind them before the league kicks off. No scrambling around for scraps in late August, which we have been used to.