The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

See that Aberdeen asked for, and got, 5,600 or something allowed in for their Euro’ qualifier. Anyone know if GLS and Top 6 Tony are all over this, in regard to us asking for more than 2000 to at least accomodate ST holders at any of our reduced capacity games?

Edited by pozbaird

12 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
27 minutes ago, billyg said:
He did have two assists v them in the 3-2 game last season !

I think he was still one of our highest for assists last season which isn't too bad considering he played a lot less minutes than McGrath and took a lot less set pieces than him.

Who are we discussing here ? 

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Late posting on Tuesday's game, but really impressed with all of the new boys.

Especially Dunne and Power - and Tanser and Kiltie - oh, and Main!

Liked the fact too that after swapping half the team, so treating it a bit like a friendly, that we still (after a few minute blip) looked good!

Thought Dennis made a couple of superb runs too and was unlucky not to score.

We're not that far away from having a pretty decent team.

Granted its a bit early the team look as if they have been playing together for a while. I for one am excited about the season ahead. 

1 hour ago, mylothedog said:

Macal?

🤨

1 hour ago, mylothedog said:

Fakes?

😮

44 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Aberdeen

😲

Surely not. I mean, I like the lad. I've probably got more patience for him than most. But he's not good enough for Aberdeen and he'd be a fairly strange target for St Johnstone.

I'd be delighted to get Kyle off the wage bill and even happier to see a divisional rival take his wage on.

He's still only 22 but any potential he had as a player (a lot) has long since evaporated in a cloud of chronic injury problems and a significant slowing down of that explosive burst of pace that he had.

Decent impact sub in the last 15 mins of games still but let's be honest, he was the marquee signing 2 years ago and on a 3-year deal and he's nowhere near justified that in terms of expectations. I remarked at the game the other night that we'd not be difficult to deal with if anyone wanted him and the person I said it to went 'aye but he'll need to drop to championship at best, why would he?' so two Premiership clubs being in for him is a bit of a shocker to say the least.

[emoji44]
Surely not. I mean, I like the lad. I've probably got more patience for him than most. But he's not good enough for Aberdeen and he'd be a fairly strange target for St Johnstone.
He's not fit enough for either.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He'd be a fairly strange target for St Johnstone.

Tbf we need a Conway replacement, in terms of a creative winger who can come into the side every so often when we play a certain system, so we're probably fairly limited in terms of decent players who'll be willing to sit on the bench most weeks.

McAllister is young, and fairly proven as not been a clownshoe at this level, so can see why we'd be interested in taking the punt.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf we need a Conway replacement, in terms of a creative winger who can come into the side every so often when we play a certain system, so we're probably fairly limited in terms of decent players who'll be willing to sit on the bench most weeks.

McAllister is young, and fairly proven as not been a clownshoe at this level, so can see why we'd be interested in taking the punt.

He's most certainly not that but he's definitely lost something about his style of play which is understandable going through so many years of injury issues at such a young age. I think he definitely needs a fresh start again but much like Charles Dunne was being described as a risky signing for us, McAllister is right up there too.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair enough.

If the McAllister who helped tear into Celtic at Parkhead showed up with any regularity we'd be onto a winner. He ran miles that day and laid on Durmus' goal quite wonderfully. 

It's hard not to feel a bit twitchy when a rival comes in for a peripheral player; there's always the danger they'll do what we did with Fraser and Tait, to name two. Of course, there's always the hope that it'll all just go a bit Lee Erwin.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

He's most certainly not that but he's definitely lost something about his style of play.

It's his running, poor lad. He simply doesn't look comfortable if he has to break above a jog. His movement in close spaces is fine - beating guys at close quarters when he doesn't need to sprint - but it'll hold him back. I do think he'd be a better 10 than he would out wide - for pretty much this exact reason - but I can't see many managers trusting him there.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's most certainly not that but he's definitely lost something about his style of play which is understandable going through so many years of injury issues at such a young age. I think he definitely needs a fresh start again but much like Charles Dunne was being described as a risky signing for us, McAllister is right up there too.

Yeah by all accounts the process is "manager tells scout department what he wants - us losing Conway probably means we want a creative winger" -> "scout department looks at data and highlights names - McAllister had great creative figures and is young" -> "manager says he's interested in going further with the process or not" -> club enquire about available of player to see if we move forwards or not.

I'd guess that's where we are, and us being "keen" is just paper talk for us enquiring. We're 100% looking at other wingers too.