The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

55 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Exclusive: Hearts, Dundee United, St Mirren and St Johnstone interested in Hull City transfer agreement | Football League World

James Scott who was a 'Well player before signing for Hull.

For a young player he had an annoying habit of scoring against us.

Hmm. I think we're just the supporting cast there, tbh. Can't see us wanting another body up front unless there's truth in Erwin leaving.

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Hmm. I think we're just the supporting cast there, tbh. Can't see us wanting another body up front unless there's truth in Erwin leaving.

I’d be surprised if we got him if Hearts are in for him.

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm trying to think when we have had a stronger squad even late 70's early 80's don't think we had such a strong squad.  

I always tend to think the 12/13/14 vintage was pretty good; we've still never really replaced Thommo. Perhaps we never will, given he only signed for us because he loves the club.

You're right, though, in terms of strength in depth. We've got quality - and replacement quality - right across the park.

The squad looks good so far. I think we are just a couple of players short. A winger and another forward would be good. I still think we may lose 2 or 3 but i am confident Goodwin will replace with the quality we need. 

I'm trying to think when we have had a stronger squad even late 70's early 80's don't think we had such a strong squad.  
Really. I suspect The late 70s / early 80s side would thrash the current team no matter who was picked from the respective squads

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d be surprised if we got him if Hearts are in for him.

Hearts journalist saying they're not interested, doesn't mention St Mirren either.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I always tend to think the 12/13/14 vintage was pretty good; we've still never really replaced Thommo. Perhaps we never will, given he only signed for us because he loves the club.

You're right, though, in terms of strength in depth. We've got quality - and replacement quality - right across the park.

I always felt 2011/12 was our strongest squad in the last decade. Probably underachieved and should have done better things. 

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Really. I suspect The late 70s / early 80s side would thrash the current team no matter who was picked from the respective squads

I mean depth of squad rather than individuals . Oaksoft makes a good point though.  Can see this being a good season capable of being around the top six. 

In any hypothetical talk about sides from different eras playing each other, you surely have to assume both operate under the same conditions. So, if you want to compare the Fergie’s Furies side against any modern side, in my opinion, you must hypothetically have that Fergie’s Furies side with modern training methods, diet, physio, boots, strips, balls, quality of playing surface. Or, assume the more modern team would operate with old style balls, kit, shitey surfaces, having the odd Woodbine, and possibly a dram before taking the field.

Given the application of these hypothetical conditions to the hypothetical debate, my opinion is this… the Fergie’s Furies team would absolutely kick the fcuking arse of any modern St Mirren team I’ve seen into the middle of next week..

An interesting match would be prime time Fergie’s Furies v the 2013 League Cup winning team. I know who my money would be on, but by golly, I’d pay to see it.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I always felt 2011/12 was our strongest squad in the last decade. Probably underachieved and should have done better things. 

Yeah, both 2011/12 and 12/13 season teams were excellent squads that really didn't do as well as they should have, which is a bit of a bizarre thing to say when they won a cup, but even winning the cup highlighted the issues with that squad, they were often brilliant in the big games. They really rose to the occasion when the spotlight was on and there were headlines to be grabbed, but too often in the run of the mill games they just lost with a bit of a whimper.

Danny Lennon is a legend at the club for winning that cup, but I think we all know that squad was a wee bit wasted on him.

The rest of the SPFL wee teams I imagine will be viewing how Goodwin's policy of filling the team almost exclusively with proven (if not amazing) SPFL talent will turn out. The standard these days seems to be every team outwith the OF rebuilding (which is now the norm every summer) with the vast majority being from League One and below down South, a handful of academy graduates and one or two from the Scottish lower leagues.

A lot to be said to having players who know the drill and pace required of our game. Will be interesting if nothing else.

47 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

The rest of the SPFL wee teams I imagine will be viewing how Goodwin's policy of filling the team almost exclusively with proven (if not amazing) SPFL talent will turn out. The standard these days seems to be every team outwith the OF rebuilding (which is now the norm every summer) with the vast majority being from League One and below down South, a handful of academy graduates and one or two from the Scottish lower leagues.

A lot to be said to having players who know the drill and pace required of our game. Will be interesting if nothing else.

For years our pre-season and League Cup section games at the start of the season have been rubbish with new players all trying to find their feet, getting to know how their team mates play and get used to Scottish football for many of them. A waste of money going to watch most of those games as we try to work out who may be ok and who are not up to it.

Last night was very different. Considering we started with 6 newbies - all experienced Premiership players - the team looked excellent. All the new additions looked like they had played in the team for years. There was no bedding in required.  While it is too early to say how successful the formula is I for one witnessed one of the best performances in years for a pre-season/League Cup section game and feel very optimistic towards the new season. But who knows who other Clubs will sign. But so far after just one game I look forward to the League with confidence.

PS Dunne was superb.

Edited by NorthBank

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Other than our academy "graduates" , every senior player bar three have either played for or been signed from a Scottish premiership club.

McCarthy and McGrath were both signed from Ireland, but have 18 months experience of the top league. That leaves Kristian Dennis, signed from Notts County. He was injured for a bit last season, but even he has "bedded in", being involved in 17 games last season, scoring 3 goals.

I'm currently watching Motherwell put in the type of performance that we usually put in against lower league clubs early in the season. There was no sign of that last night. The players weren't brilliant, but they looked "comfortable" and settled into a system.

We still need some pace. I think Goodwin will wait and see what's available before the window shuts before addressing that aspect of the squad.

The only player that I was truly gutted to lose was Durmus. However, Tanser was doing a fine impression of him last night. Not as fast, but was putting in early deliveries that troubled the opposition.

The perennial problem of killing off our opponents when we are well in the ascendancy, on last night's showing, hasn't quite been sorted. Hopefully, it's just lack of match sharpness. although it was good to see Main breaking his duck. Brophy take note.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I would need to have a wee look but I am pretty sure the bulk of our squad are players who were not established at any decent level before Jim brought them in and gave them a chance.

If our squad looks good now it's largely down to the fact that Jim brought them through.

Was referring more to your summer acquisitions which your two colleagues seemed to pick up on. Also as a Motherwell fan, conscious that you took Tait and Erwin previously and now bolstered with Dunne and Main.

We were shockingly bad tonight and stole a win against a team that looked 3 leagues above us rather than the reverse. I never understand why so many big teams are a crock of shit playing in July/August when the excuse of players adapting and bedding in is used as if the lower league opposition don't have those same issues.

Anyway, I would be surprised if you're not top 6 come the first international break in September.

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Yeah, agreed. I think bringing established-at-this-level players in is always the aim for a club like ours, as it gives the younger lads a less risky/exposed platform to develop. They also get great mentors to learn from. The issue is, established players are a) more expensive and b) less likely to take a risk on joining a club they perceive as being a relegation risk. 

Our relative success over the past couple of years has left us able to afford a) and shake off the tag of relegation candidates, per b). As it happens I think the league will be much tougher next year so hopefully our solid platform of experience will stand us in good stead. Our survival last year was built entirely on being tough to score against (mostly); our failure to hit the top six was provably down to our lack of goals scored. I think we'll repeat that pattern this year.

I think we've done very good early business. Obviously one or two more would be welcome, but I've said several times now, if we fail to add anyone else to the squad between now and the first weekend, I won't be overly worried. The concern remains that McGrath moves on, but if he does, we're getting paid, and I also believe we've already bought his replacement in Kiltie.