The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Regarding Billy Big Baws and the "cryptic tweets" in January.... talk about storm in a teacup..... here's Jim speaking about Ethan "staying humble" in February:

“Like most youngsters, there is usually a little dip in form now and again and I need to keep reminding myself Ethan is still only 19, because he burst on to the scene at 16, got a taste of it and then probably didn’t play enough last season under me. There were one or two reasons for that and we had discussions about where I thought he needed to get to, not just on the technical side but mentally. I wanted him to be more professional and show a bit more maturity, not just during games but around the place as well and at training. He’s stepped up to the plate big time since then and I told him this morning the only thing which can prevent Ethan from going on to become a superstar is himself. There’s no doubt he has all the attributes in the world. He’s a naturally left-sided midfielder, he’s physically strong, athletic and very quick. Only Dylan Connolly in our squad could match him over 30 yards. He has a great opportunity to go all the way and if he remains grounded, stays humble and keeps working hard he’ll get that chance.”

All positive I think. Who didn't do / say silly things as a teenager? When we had Charlie Adam on loan that season he was a  big wean. I remember him getting dropped from an important game at Hamilton because he'd pissed Gus off doing something stupid. Then at the end of the season he was dangerously standing on the top of the open top bus arms aloft as it approached County Sq. like he'd single-handedly won us the league himself! Look at the career he's had and the way he conducts himself now. A bit of daft boyness is acceptable surely.

I'm not sure that's what's being referred to in the latest posts.

The way I've interpreted it is that as a result of the Barnsley interest his attitude has taken a turn for the worse.

I'm happy to be corrected, as we all know, when speculation arises, any info grows arms and legs.

Hopefully it's nonsense, and if he leaves, it's on good terms.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I'm not sure that's what's being referred to in the latest posts.

The way I've interpreted it is that as a result of the Barnsley interest his attitude has taken a turn for the worse.

I'm happy to be corrected, as we all know, when speculation arises, any info grows arms and legs.

Hopefully it's nonsense, and if he leaves, it's on good terms.

The way I'm interpreting it is..... it's a load of pish!

Up there with Goodwin leaving the club because of the Magennis transfer. That was another one from those supposedly ITK back in October.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Regarding Billy Big Baws and the "cryptic tweets" in January.... talk about storm in a teacup..... here's Jim speaking about Ethan "staying humble" in February:

“Like most youngsters, there is usually a little dip in form now and again and I need to keep reminding myself Ethan is still only 19, because he burst on to the scene at 16, got a taste of it and then probably didn’t play enough last season under me. There were one or two reasons for that and we had discussions about where I thought he needed to get to, not just on the technical side but mentally. I wanted him to be more professional and show a bit more maturity, not just during games but around the place as well and at training. He’s stepped up to the plate big time since then and I told him this morning the only thing which can prevent Ethan from going on to become a superstar is himself. There’s no doubt he has all the attributes in the world. He’s a naturally left-sided midfielder, he’s physically strong, athletic and very quick. Only Dylan Connolly in our squad could match him over 30 yards. He has a great opportunity to go all the way and if he remains grounded, stays humble and keeps working hard he’ll get that chance.”

All positive I think. Who didn't do / say silly things as a teenager? When we had Charlie Adam on loan that season he was a  big wean. I remember him getting dropped from an important game at Hamilton because he'd pissed Gus off doing something stupid. Then at the end of the season he was dangerously standing on the top of the open top bus arms aloft as it approached County Sq. like he'd single-handedly won us the league himself! Look at the career he's had and the way he conducts himself now. A bit of daft boyness is acceptable surely.

As I said further back has a big career in the game some fans don't get it I think they forget the boys age. 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

As I said further back has a big career in the game some fans don't get it I think they forget the boys age. 

Yeah just a kid still and a great asset to the club. If his attitude is so bad that we're happy to push him out of the club then then why did Jim start him in the friendly 48 hours ago? Part of the 11 which you assume Jim considers to be his strongest. Doesn't make sense.

I've never seen anything in regards to Ethan to suggest he has a bad attitude. 

He is a diving big shite though who goes down under absolutely minimal contact and needs to cut that out of his game pronto as referees will start to cotton onto him quickly as he establishes himself. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ehahn.thumb.png.5013f254744496860b632263764265d7.png

The RG Bar Chart v4.0 has no idea what to think of Erhahon.

Part of his game looks like it has huge potential considering his age (to have some many bars so close to average is pretty good for his age, this version is the harshest by far in terms of performance, if you want more context by seeing him alongside another player from last season just say). But then some glaring weaknesses too.

Looks on paper like he'll develop into a holding midfielder as he gains experience, and be really good at controlling games from that deep position.

He's definitely strongest as a holding mid from what I've seen of him but his complete absence of a right foot will see him in a bit of trouble now and then in that position.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

He's definitely strongest as a holding mid from what I've seen of him but his complete absence of a right foot will see him in a bit of trouble now and then in that position.

Something he'll learn to cope with the more he plays probably? 

Liam Craig is horrendously one footed, as an example of someone who can play deep well despite that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Something he'll learn to cope with the more he plays probably? 

Liam Craig is horrendously one footed, as an example of someone who can play deep well despite that.

Hope so. He's a player who divides the support but then, quite unbelievably so did Kenny McLean when he was with us up until his last half season.

I fall on the side of really liking the lad despite the shortcomings in his game, mainly the play acting and being too one footed. His good attributes far outweigh his bad one's in my opinion though and he's definitely getting better.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Hope so. He's a player who divides the support but then, quite unbelievably so did Kenny McLean when he was with us up until his last half season.

I fall on the side of really liking the lad despite the shortcomings in his game, mainly the play acting and being too one footed. His good attributes far outweigh his bad one's in my opinion though and he's definitely getting better.

I think that this season will be pivotal for him.

If he stays, JG will give him the chance to fully establish himself in the team, if his performances merit it.

He had some superb games last season, but was very poor in others. As I've mentioned, he has the potential to improve and be a great player. Maybe events of last season affected his mental state and he'll come back stronger this season.

I think at times he loses concentration which leads to an apparent lackadaisical aspect of his game. That frustrates me, when you see what he can do when fully focussed.

I'm sure he knows where he needs to improve, so it's up to him to work on these areas if he wants to earn a "big" move.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I think that this season will be pivotal for him.

If he stays, JG will give him the chance to fully establish himself in the team, if his performances merit it.

He had some superb games last season, but was very poor in others. As I've mentioned, he has the potential to improve and be a great player. Maybe events of last season affected his mental state and he'll come back stronger this season.

I think at times he loses concentration which leads to an apparent lackadaisical aspect of his game. That frustrates me, when you see what he can do when fully focussed.

I'm sure he knows where he needs to improve, so it's up to him to work on these areas if he wants to earn a "big" move.

Someone on here did say at one point that he needs to stop floating about games playing in that position. Yaya Toure got away with it back in the day because he was the best in the world at it.

I admit, I never noticed this until it was mentioned on here but once I did, it became pretty apparent. Suppose he needs to find that happy medium between working hard and working clever without being a headless chicken or lazy b*****d.

The more I think about it the more I think 300k? f**k that. If it's true.

We have him contracted for another 2 years yeah?

I agree with the above. Huge season for him and Cammy imo. I like EE a lot, hope he stays and knocks it out the park this season, not literally of course.

Ethan will play at a higher level, question of when not if. Can see him being a regular for a lower end EPL team / top end English Championship and be in and around the Scotland squad within five years. He has represented Scotland from u17’s to u21’s and is highly rated within that set up.
As with all 20 year olds, he has a lot to learn and improve on. Would be a bit odd if he didn’t.
If he doesn’t get his move this summer it will surely be before his contract ends in two years.
Think Cammy is playing at his level and can’t see him pushing on much more. He’s a good squad member for a mid table top flight team and I’d be happy to keep him for the long term.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Ethan will play at a higher level, question of when not if. Can see him being a regular for a lower end EPL team / top end English Championship and be in and around the Scotland squad within five years. He has represented Scotland from u17’s to u21’s and is highly rated within that set up.
As with all 20 year olds, he has a lot to learn and improve on. Would be a bit odd if he didn’t.
If he doesn’t get his move this summer it will surely be before his contract ends in two years.
Think Cammy is playing at his level and can’t see him pushing on much more. He’s a good squad member for a mid table top flight team and I’d be happy to keep him for the long term.

I don’t think anyone is doubting his ability. As you say, he’s represented Scotland at youth level and played a lot of games for his age.

However, it’s about moving to that next level and having the desire and mindset to do so. Plenty of great youth players have come and gone without reaching their potential and don’t want Ethan to be one of them. It’s big season or two for him - with us or a ‘bigger’ club.

Some will say Main is a fucking haddie that'll be lucky to score enough goals to count on one hand, however you have to admire the ability the man... a bicycle kick so spectacularly fucked up that it bounces directly underneath him, hitting his arse on the way back up and setting it up for Henderson.

Haters will suggest the he never intended the lay off, but we all know, that's something from the training ground.

Edited by Ric