The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Happy to see Jim still wants to add a couple of players with pace to the squad. Young Henderson can’t do it all on his own for a season, and McAllister can’t be relied on to stay injury free. Sounds like he’s looking at the loan market.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Jim in the PDE: happy with the squad but hoping to add some pace before the league season starts. Also said that he thinks Hibs offered a deal to Ilkay Durmus.

Hibs did, I was led to believe he was heading there at 1 point, Aberdeen were also after him.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

A couple of posters on here had mentioned the development fee issue with JDH; kudos to them.

Good interview, though - love how he talks JDH up then basically says Power's better anyway 😂

On 28/06/2021 at 13:46, DumbartonBud said:

I’m probably talking rubbish here but could us not withdrawing the contract offer be down to looking to get a development fee? No matter how small it would be for the few months he was with us?

Looks like I was right JG confirms that one of the reasons the contract offer wasn’t withdrawn was because a development fee is due. I wonder if Hibs have offered a sell on clause instead 😃

im never ITK so here is some goss I heard yesterday …

I’m hearing that Erhahon is pretty much off and that we’d do a deal at 300k (I’m guessing / hoping add ons would be on top of this). Apparently his attitude is pretty shite and have someone else lined up if he goes! 

Erwin also likely to go and again have a replacement lined up.

Dunne has been flying in training and if we can keep him fit he won’t be around for long, and that we are generally delighted at our transfer business so far after seeing players over first couple of weeks in training. 

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

im never ITK so here is some goss I heard yesterday …

I’m hearing that Erhahon is pretty much off and that we’d do a deal at 300k (I’m guessing / hoping add ons would be on top of this). Apparently his attitude is pretty shite and have someone else lined up if he goes! 

Erwin also likely to go and again have a replacement lined up.

Dunne has been flying in training and if we can keep him fit he won’t be around for long, and that we are generally delighted at our transfer business so far after seeing players over first couple of weeks in training. 

I’d be ok with £300k up front for Ethan plus a load of incentives in there. There’s a player there, but needs to move on from the ‘daft laddie’ tag that’s kinda hung over him. Perhaps a move away will bring maturity. 

I’d take 300K and a sell on clause for Erhahon, I’m not his biggest fan tbh and often think he’s overrated. But he’s young and if he can screw the nut and work hard at his game, then maybe he’ll progress if he gets a decent move.

I know folk were at the wind up yesterday but at the moment McCann is the pinnacle young player in a similar position/role for someone like Erhahon to aim at.

He is quite a bit off that standard but there is potential. Ironically a season playing next to Power could improve him dramatically. Look at the experienced players at StJohnstone playing along side McCann.

300k as an up front fee seems meh to me but if the club aren't happy with his attitude there isn't much we can do.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’d take 300K and a sell on clause for Erhahon, I’m not his biggest fan tbh and often think he’s overrated. But he’s young and if he can screw the nut and work hard at his game, then maybe he’ll progress if he gets a decent move.

Erhahon is vastly overrated, he was desperate to move last window and his cryptic tweets he stuck up showed the bad attitude.

5 minutes ago, McG said:

Erhahon is vastly overrated, he was desperate to move last window and his cryptic tweets he stuck up showed the bad attitude.

Players play for the money not the badge been like that for yonks. If he can triple his wages why not want a move. If you could triple your wage would you move to another employer  ? 

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I’d be ok with £300k up front for Ethan plus a load of incentives in there. There’s a player there, but needs to move on from the ‘daft laddie’ tag that’s kinda hung over him. Perhaps a move away will bring maturity. 

If Barnsley want him that much, I'd be pushing them up to £500K. We could run down his contract and collect a development fee of around £250K.

Erhahon has potential, but as others have alluded to, I'm not quite sure which category of midfielder that he fits into. For a player who has a defensive role, he needs to improve on tracking back and picking up players.

If he's gone all "Billy big baws", then show him the door, but only after we've squeezed as much as we can out of Barnsley.

2015: McGinn & McLean

2017: McAllister & Mallan

2018: Morgan

2020: Magennis

Would be sad to see Erhahon go but he's a talent and it's natural that bigger clubs will look at him. Really pleasing though that the academy is now pretty much a production line of players who other clubs want to pay us money for. Prior to those above, over the course of 2 decades, you could probably count on the fingers of one hand players we brought through who commanded a decent fee and could play at a higher level. McNamee, Bobo, Lavety, Gillies....?

Kudos to David Longwell and all those doing the work behind the scenes back in the 2000s. Ethan, for example, has been at the club since he was 5; the foresight to invest in the academy and the long term commitment to nurturing talent is really paying dividends now. Reid will possibly be the big one whose transfer could sustain the club for years. No doubt, seeing all the young players getting a chance with us will be a major reason why his mum and dad have advised him to carry on at St Mirren.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Regarding Billy Big Baws and the "cryptic tweets" in January.... talk about storm in a teacup..... here's Jim speaking about Ethan "staying humble" in February:

“Like most youngsters, there is usually a little dip in form now and again and I need to keep reminding myself Ethan is still only 19, because he burst on to the scene at 16, got a taste of it and then probably didn’t play enough last season under me. There were one or two reasons for that and we had discussions about where I thought he needed to get to, not just on the technical side but mentally. I wanted him to be more professional and show a bit more maturity, not just during games but around the place as well and at training. He’s stepped up to the plate big time since then and I told him this morning the only thing which can prevent Ethan from going on to become a superstar is himself. There’s no doubt he has all the attributes in the world. He’s a naturally left-sided midfielder, he’s physically strong, athletic and very quick. Only Dylan Connolly in our squad could match him over 30 yards. He has a great opportunity to go all the way and if he remains grounded, stays humble and keeps working hard he’ll get that chance.”

All positive I think. Who didn't do / say silly things as a teenager? When we had Charlie Adam on loan that season he was a  big wean. I remember him getting dropped from an important game at Hamilton because he'd pissed Gus off doing something stupid. Then at the end of the season he was dangerously standing on the top of the open top bus arms aloft as it approached County Sq. like he'd single-handedly won us the league himself! Look at the career he's had and the way he conducts himself now. A bit of daft boyness is acceptable surely.

Edited by Buttocks Brown