The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Dicker was the better of the two

👀 daft bar graphs that everyone mocks and ridicules inbound!

PowerDick.thumb.png.c54df9cbaff63f181881f815b5c6fc96.png

On paper Dicker seems the better of the two.

A downgrade on my boy JDH, but you can see why St Mirren have identified him as a replacement/back up, IMO.

676289218_download(3).thumb.png.0888947444b56c106992484a0ee0bca7.png

Obviously this is nowhere near what clubs use, but like that it adds some context to what seem like poor decisions. If you're looking for a like for like, experienced, JDH-esque player then Power seems a reasonable shout, on paper.

5 hours ago, btb said:

Didn't they cut their players wages by 20% in January, I'd be wary about going there for money.

Most clubs have with Covid at some point even Hibs done it they will have been paid or be in process of being paid out the prize money you’d expect 

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

There were a few times last season we could have done with an old head in midfield. As an experienced squad player I am comfortable with him signing.

The problem I have with it is that we need a player in that role every week rather than just an option.

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The problem I have with it is that we need a player in that role every week rather than just an option.

He’s not signing a one year deal to be a back up, he’ll play most weeks in my opinion unless we have someone else lined up to come in. 

By and large the young guys done well. However I agree that the likes of Ethan wont improve unless he has some on field guidance.

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

Sometimes a player gets a new lease of life moving on. Our club has a real positive vibe about it and Power may get a bounce from it. We lack experience and dig. He is just what we need. Now sign Lafferty as well

He's signed for Anorthosis Famagusta in Cyprus....

Power is an absolute waste of a wage, unless he is on utter peanuts.

Interestingly everyone is comparing him to JDH in the assumption that Power is his replacement, however nobody thinking he's the replacement for McGrath... ;)

Edit: Just thinking if I have reacted as negatively to previous Goodwin signings, and while not all of them have worked out, I'd say Main and Power are the first players Goodwin has brought in that I actively don't want at the club. If Stubbs had brought them in, this thread would be in meltdown.

Edited by Ric

28 minutes ago, Ric said:

however nobody thinking he's the replacement for McGrath... ;)

Probably because he's a completely different player and you already filled that role with Kiltie, but idk. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Power is an absolute waste of a wage, unless he is on utter peanuts.

Interestingly everyone is comparing him to JDH in the assumption that Power is his replacement, however nobody thinking he's the replacement for McGrath... ;)

Edit: Just thinking if I have reacted as negatively to previous Goodwin signings, and while not all of them have worked out, I'd say Main and Power are the first players Goodwin has brought in that I actively don't want at the club. If Stubbs had brought them in, this thread would be in meltdown. 

True but Goodwin has bought himself a fair bit of good will after two good seasons and a pretty strong track record in making signings. 

45 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

True but Goodwin has bought himself a fair bit of good will after two good seasons and a pretty strong track record in making signings. 

Add in the fact that Main and Power are in no way comparable to the shite that Stubbs left us with.

Cole Kpekawa.

Jeff King.

Danny Rogers.

Josh Heaton.

There were others that, happily, I've managed to expunge from my memory.

Not particularly impressed with the Power signing, mainly due to his age and performances against us last season. However, he appears to fit the bill of a mid-field "enforcer", which is a type of player we didn't have last season. He also comes with experience, which the likes of MacPherson and Erhahon will benefit from. Fingers crossed a change of scenery will revitalise him.🤞

I'll give him a chance, before calling him shite.:lol:

46 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Tait was said to be done by Well fans. He was outstanding last season. I will give Power every chance to see what he does for us. I expect Goodwin will unearth some more gems before the window closes. 

Difference is, I'm not going on other teams fans.

Power is someone who always impressed me but I remember thinking on more than one occasion last season that he'd dropped off a cliff.

We could get away with it, Erhahon/MacPherson/Kiltie/McGrath all have fresh legs for doing the graft. We need someone to organise and enforce. Sadly Foley could have been that but he fell away drastically, which is why we are concerned about with this potential signing.

Power was definitely nowhere near his usual standard last season but Killie were abject and their was definitely something going on behind the scenes.

Again another risky one that could pay off. Big season for Goodwin he has to get these signings right.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Difference is, I'm not going on other teams fans.

Power is someone who always impressed me but I remember thinking on more than one occasion last season that he'd dropped off a cliff.

Power has impressed me too and like you he looked off it last season. Yet again so many Killie players did. I will give him a chance. I was more impressed by signing Kiltie

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Again another risky one that could pay off. Big season for Goodwin he has to get these signings right.

Given that we've lost/released at least six players, if Power signs, we'll really only have room for one more. Two at a push.

Despite tear stained claims elsewhere, we'll be balancing the books as we always do.