The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

I am in a United WhatsApp group chat not much is known about your lad Doyle Hayes anyone got proper info like positions he plays, strengths/weakness that kinda thing? cheers and what a great result last night 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

He started really well with us but most of the time he was meh. 

30 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He started really well with us but most of the time he was meh. 

You’ll say that even if he was good as he’s leaving tbh we do the same e.g Paul “can’t cross ball never mind the road” Mcmullen. What’s his actual strengths and weakness? can he beat a player or drive forward or ping passes to strikers ? 

I am in a United WhatsApp group chat not much is known about your lad Doyle Hayes anyone got proper info like positions he plays, strengths/weakness that kinda thing? cheers and what a great result last night [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Centre mid, started off a bit more advanced but ended up playing deep, taking the ball off the centre halves and getting things going.

Really tidy player, can dictate the game but we didn't see it as much near the end, had an injury or 2 though. Not that good defensively but will get stuck in, it could depend who he is playing in midfield with but he is a 'baller'.

I think we will miss him, a decent cog in the team and in my opinion will be a bit difficult to replace. He will definitely improve United.

Sadly for us our deal has been on the table since January, was supposedly close to signing it at the time according to our gaffer but has held off waiting for other offers, which is his right.

We have offered nowhere near the wage he was after and can't get close to it so if he can more cash at United fair play to him.

49 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

You’ll say that even if he was good as he’s leaving tbh we do the same e.g Paul “can’t cross ball never mind the road” Mcmullen. What’s his actual strengths and weakness? can he beat a player or drive forward or ping passes to strikers ? 

Tbh this is how I have felt about him for months. I was always quoted as saying not fussed if he leaves. 

1 hour ago, GFARAB82 said:

His best moment was in the build up to our winner v Rangers , he refused to give up on a corner cleared by their defenders and managed to squeeze the ball back out to McGrath , at the same time he blocked Kamara from closing McGrath down , and the rest is history. I thought initially he was going to be a real star for us , but he definitely faded as the season went on !

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Centre mid, started off a bit more advanced but ended up playing deep, taking the ball off the centre halves and getting things going.

Really tidy player, can dictate the game but we didn't see it as much near the end, had an injury or 2 though. Not that good defensively but will get stuck in, it could depend who he is playing in midfield with but he is a 'baller'.

I think we will miss him, a decent cog in the team and in my opinion will be a bit difficult to replace. He will definitely improve United.

Sadly for us our deal has been on the table since January, was supposedly close to signing it at the time according to our gaffer but has held off waiting for other offers, which is his right.

We have offered nowhere near the wage he was after and can't get close to it so if he can more cash at United fair play to him.

Didn't they cut their players wages by 20% in January, I'd be wary about going there for money.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Didn't they cut their players wages by 20% in January, I'd be wary about going there for money.

I think everywhere he goes will be for the money, he needs to change his representation as he held out last summer for more money and eventually signed for us in November.
Now he is doing the same, at 22 the boy needs to see the big picture,  he needs to sign a 2 year deal to allow him to become established in a team and concentrate on his craft.

If he does that, it won’t be a couple of hundred quid extra he will be chasing, it will be in the thousands.

14 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think everywhere he goes will be for the money, he needs to change his representation as he held out last summer for more money and eventually signed for us in November.
Now he is doing the same, at 22 the boy needs to see the big picture,  he needs to sign a 2 year deal to allow him to become established in a team and concentrate on his craft.

If he does that, it won’t be a couple of hundred quid extra he will be chasing, it will be in the thousands.

If it weren't for Covid he'd never have come to Scotland. He'll also treble his wage by joining old dross English League One side. 

Money they offer players down there is wild, and it's a shame the wage cap was lifted as otherwise there would've been so much to scavenge.

33 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I have no problem with players going where the money is, just that moving to DU wouldn't be my advice for the reason given.

Edited by btb

15 minutes ago, btb said:

I have no problem with players going where the money is, just that moving to DU wouldn't be my advice for the reason given.

Me neither, it’s just a shame that at 22, a player is chasing cash rather than developing his craft and then making real money. The 4 months he went without a wage last year would have cost him far more than the difference he was holding out for. 
Nothing personal against the lad, it’s just a shame they are so poorly advised.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7281635/kilmarnock-alan-power-quit-st-mirren-premiership/

You'd think Gus was back considering how many Killie guys we're being linked with.

Have to be honest and say in the few games I seen Power last year he looked far less effective and looked like the years had caught up with him. I think we need a player like Power, but the one from 2-3 years ago would have been better. 

Power would have done a turn for us in the Championship but he's far from irreplaceable. There have been signs in the last 6 months his legs are starting to go and he's defo on a downward spiral. Not sure he has another full year left in him at top flight level tbh....

If he decides to move on so be it and with my best wishes and thanks for his time at RP, especially under Clarke.

Waiting for news on new signings and then read this about Power. To say it’s underwhelming is an understatement. Power looks like his legs have gone in much the same manner as Sam Foley , who was deemed surplus to requirements for that very reason.

If he is on his way to us then he’ll be given every chance to prove me wrong, I hope he does.  

If he hadn't had a year left on his contract I'd have said to get rid of him anyway. He was excellent in Clarke's only full season, but I've always felt that he was overrated a bit by our fans and that Dicker was the better of the two. Dicker's performances dropped off much more dramatically last season but Power had a very poor season too.

Can imagine him being fine as a squad option at St Mirren, good aggressive midfielder and not the worst passer, but I'd be worried if he was there to be a regular starter.

27 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

I think we've got the better deal here if we have managed to get a fee for Power out of it, as reported by Scott Burns.....  He's normally pretty much on the money when reporting on anything Killie wise.

Edited by C4mmy31