The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

27 minutes ago, btb said:

On a personal level I don't buy a ST because I work every other Saturday and if there are to be restrictions on the number of people able to attend then I guess it'll be uncertain when I'll be able to get to a match.

On a group level I can see the frustration of paying full price after missing the post-Obika games in 18/19 and the reduced service last season - another season (potentially) of not being able to attend every match would be, as I say, frustrating especially given the current level of progress in dealing with the pandemic.

Your right Colin frustration and disappointment not only to the fans but the club also. Been going to games since 1967 the club has been a huge part of my life.  After the second vaccine I was buzzing thinking great will get back to the football unfortunately now left with a feeling of being utter gutted.  

42 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

But this might be a good season to buy a season book, if you can afford it, to support our club.  Difficult times for everyone.  

You're absolutely right, of course, but the times being tight thing is crazy right now, for me, at least (though other half has been on mat leave so it could be that). I was even hovering over my SMISA DD the other day. I've been in from the start so can't bring myself to cancel, but I would certainly struggle to find the dosh for an ST this year.

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

My cousin Campbell also only does away games as he's the matchday announcer but is very insightful, spotting tactical systems for both teams right from the off and is usually spot on with what changes we need to make. However he is a fan and, like the rest of us, is very enthusiastic at criticising the officials.

Campbell is horrific on commentary. Endlessly slaughters our players, hasn't got a clue tactically and just whines about everything in general.

He should stick to pressing play from Spotify on a Saturday afternoon.

8 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Campbell is horrific on commentary. Endlessly slaughters our players, hasn't got a clue tactically and just whines about everything in general.

I'd much rather listen to Campbell with his heart on his sleeve than Allan McManus who pulls a sharp intake of breath directly into the mic every time the ball is within 40 yards of our goal.

8 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

He tells it as it is some more commentators should take a leaf out his book.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd much rather listen to Campbell with his heart on his sleeve than Allan McManus who pulls a sharp intake of breath directly into the mic every time the ball is within 40 yards of our goal.

If I'm paying hundreds of pounds a season for a service, I'd rather listen to a competent commentary team than two halfwit fans that couldn't figure out why a referee wouldn't let Cammy MacPherson put his finger on the ball to stop it rolling away because it was a bit windy.. Although, I must admit their idiocy provided a great laugh at the time.

I'm sure they're nice lads but they're not commentators and that includes the main guy that spunks his drawers when Celtic come to town. There has been plenty of complaints throughout the season about it. I hope this is one of the things we get sorted for the new season.

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

My cousin Campbell also only does away games as he's the matchday announcer but is very insightful, spotting tactical systems for both teams right from the off and is usually spot on with what changes we need to make. However he is a fan and, like the rest of us, is very enthusiastic at criticising the officials.

Hi Campbell.

I was surprised and impressed with Aberdeen TV when I saw they had Rob McLean in.  

I guess it's about what ones expectations are.  I was quite happy with the club's response and the coverage with AdF and the setup has gained praise from fans of other teams on here.

It's a valid point that if it's going to be the prime medium for the majority of fans, then the club should look to improve the product being offered.  I suppose the question would be legitimate about spending money on box office commentators would come at the expense of quality on the pitch.  

I'd rather have AdF and the current lot of ex Saints legends with another signing on the pitch than some ex OF professional pundit that we poached from Clyde SCB or Sportsound.  

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You realise that a huge chunk of the planet is actually further along with lifting restrictions than Scotland/UK, don't you?

Our government is literally missing information that the rest of the world has.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think the point being discussed is waaaay over your head, dude.

🤣

Is there a thread I've missed where you all hang out and discuss all your covid /flat earth/ moon landing hot takes where I can go for  laugh / be educated. It's seems wrong to take up space on a St. Mirren thread.

TIA

12 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

🤣

Is there a thread I've missed where you all hang out and discuss all your covid /flat earth/ moon landing hot takes where I can go for  laugh / be educated. It's seems wrong to take up space on a St. Mirren thread.

TIA

Deary me, you've fucked this one up badly mate.

Clearly statistics aren't your strong point.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Deary me, you've fucked this one up badly mate.

Clearly statistics aren't your strong point.

Royally, clearly way over my head.

Head of the clinical operational research unit at UCL :

"Even 2 weeks of tens of thousands of daily cases means hundreds of thousands of overall cases, which means tens of thousands more (mostly young) people living with long covid. 

It means hundreds of thousands of chances for further mutation that can resist vaccines."

P&B epidemiologist djchapsticks

"Variants are only a concern as people buy into the utter shite spouted about mutations by the media"

That's a no on the thread I've missed then?  in fact don't bother replying as I'm out, my smooth brain can't cope.

A nice representation of why we're still one of the most restricted countries on the planet (that's a fact), despite being one of the most vaccinated countries on the planet (by %, also a fact).

The virus has been around for almost 2 years, the vaccine has been in development for almost 2 years, and not one single variant has even come close to being effective against it.

Yet still folk in this country believe "long covid" (which is, you know, just a common reaction to any virus you can catch not something specific to coronavirus) is out to get us all and we all have to be terrified.

The virus is never going away, and all the vulnerable people in the country are vaccinated and will be getting "boosters" in a month or two. Wonder how long we're all meant to have our lives restricted?

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Royally, clearly way over my head.

Head of the clinical operational research unit at UCL :

"Even 2 weeks of tens of thousands of daily cases means hundreds of thousands of overall cases, which means tens of thousands more (mostly young) people living with long covid. 

It means hundreds of thousands of chances for further mutation that can resist vaccines."

You're talking about us and conspiracy theorists, then quoting someone from the independent SAGE group? 😂

6 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

in fact don't bother replying as I'm out, my smooth brain can't cope.

Clearly. I'm not up for arguing with someone who clearly hasn't actually read a word on the subject at hand. 

Funnily enough, virology at one point in my life many years ago was my chosen field of study. I decided not to pursue a career as opportunities were severely limited. I may not know much about epidemiology but I know enough about viruses themselves and how they react and behave to have at least a relatively informed viewpoint.