The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

26 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I disagree, there's no way a 38 year old should be keeping Jay Henderson out of the team.

Jay has to be managed over a season. You can't burn the lad out. Burke would be a good squad player and coach for our young wingers 

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I just wish the tickets were available now. I had to give my season ticket.up.when my son was born, as I couldn't justify working FT, then taking the day on Saturday to go to games. Now he is old enough and wants to come too. I want to see what seats are available and get him in to the rollercoaster of a ride that supporting St. Mirren really is.

I was the same a few years ago.  I was travelling up from Newcastle area for the home games, couldn't justify the trips with a young family.  

IIRC the club fucked up my season book that year too, ended up asking some dude to get out my seat on the first home game of that season, turns out he had the exact same season ticket that I had... 

No chance on Burke. There is absolutely no reason for us to be going there.

We've been stung far far far too many times with players whose old knees and legs have just had that one 6 week pre-season break too many in them, and as you get to 38, 39. The odds of that happening increase to near 100% with each passing pre-season.

8 hours ago, AW saint said:

With Dylan away would like to give Burke a deal. 

Not a hope should we offer a player verging on 40 soon a contract. We went young past season or 2 brought in a couple later 20s so far close season but to sign someone that age is a wrong move we need to promote from if thats the best out there 

JDH is clearly holding out for more than we are willing to pay him, if United are willing to pay that then fair play to them. A decent player he is, I wouldn't be concerned if I saw him on the United team sheet.

Connolly is just Corcoran all over again; can run fast, can't deliver a ball. Goodwin offered him a deal but at the same time delivered the "you must become more consistent". The fact he decided against that, jumped ship to a club that is kicking about League Two, that tells me one of three things, one being that he simply wasn't up to the challenge and shat it, two being Northampton made him a bumper wage packet, and three he's desperate to escape the West of Scotland for the metropolitan highlights of Milton Keynes and Lemington Spa.

Personally I think it's 70% #1 and 30% #2. Anyone who has visited Northampton will know #3 is not a runner.

Edit: I see their manager has been quoted as "Northampton manager Jon Brady said: “Dylan is a wide player with a lot of pace. He is direct, he takes on defenders and can deliver good quality balls in to the area."  (insert *ooof* meme here)

Edited by Ric

30 minutes ago, Ric said:

JDH is clearly holding out for more than we are willing to pay him, if United are willing to pay that then fair play to them. A decent player he is, I wouldn't be concerned if I saw him on the United team sheet.

Connolly is just Corcoran all over again; can run fast, can't deliver a ball. Goodwin offered him a deal but at the same time delivered the "you must become more consistent". The fact he decided against that, jumped ship to a club that is kicking about League Two, that tells me one of three things, one being that he simply wasn't up to the challenge and shat it, two being Northampton made him a bumper wage packet, and three he's desperate to escape the West of Scotland for the metropolitan highlights of Milton Keynes and Leamington Spa.

Personally I think it's 70% #1 and 30% #2. Anyone who has visited Northampton will know #3 is not a runner.

Edit: I see their manager has been quoted as "Northampton manager Jon Brady said: “Dylan is a wide player with a lot of pace. He is direct, he takes on defenders and can deliver good quality balls in to the area."  (insert *ooof* meme here)

Leamington Spa is lovely, tbf. Milton Keynes and Northampton less so.

I'm quite unconcerned about replacing Durmus and Connolly. We really don't play with wingers in Jim's preferred formation. It's nice to have the option, but I suspect Henderson will be that option. To be fair to @RandomGuy., when we were linked with MOH he did point out he wouldn't fit into our team (in the same way he doesn't really fit into theirs.) 

People will argue with me here - "we need wingers" - but we had a great one in Durmus and very rarely played him as a winger. So I'd imagine it'd be a tough sell to convince anyone else of serious quality to join in that position right now.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

*Shuffles awkwardly, stares at floor*

Now... don't take that as me wrapping myself in a saltire and shouting nationalistic slogans. I've spent maybe a decade on and off working and living down South, from Wiltshire to Kent to the Midlands. Just not overly keen on the place, tbh.

Buddies know Dylan should be more consistent however the manager publicly criticizing him and at the same time trying to get him to sign a new contract meant it was no great surprise that he decided to look elsewhere. Jim should have kept his comments in-house.

Personally I am sorry to see him leave as he could provide something very different from the bench although maybe not a regular starter.

45 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Buddies know Dylan should be more consistent however the manager publicly criticizing him and at the same time trying to get him to sign a new contract meant it was no great surprise that he decided to look elsewhere. Jim should have kept his comments in-house.

Personally I am sorry to see him leave as he could provide something very different from the bench although maybe not a regular starter.

Think the manager's comments were quite deliberate.  Are you willing to work hard enough to be better player?  He's 26 and this is his 8th club which may say a lot.

3 minutes ago, davidmcc said:

Think the manager's comments were quite deliberate.  Are you willing to work hard enough to be better player?  He's 26 and this is his 8th club which may say a lot.

I am not disagreeing. But criticism from your boss should be private and not aired to the media.

Connolly is just Corcoran all over again; can run fast, can't deliver a ball. Goodwin offered him a deal but at the same time delivered the "you must become more consistent". The fact he decided against that, jumped ship to a club that is kicking about League Two, that tells me one of three things, one being that he simply wasn't up to the challenge and shat it, two being Northampton made him a bumper wage packet, and three he's desperate to escape the West of Scotland for the metropolitan highlights of Milton Keynes and Lemington Spa.

Is it more money if they are in debt or have money issues as people keep saying? I wonder if it isn't just money and it's the role he is asked to play with us. He went off the boil when being made to play a more deeper Role. I think he sees himself in the McGrath role and couldn't get that with us. He might get to have the midfield in Utd formed around him and his style? That could then show case him better for the move down south later?

13 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I am not disagreeing. But criticism from your boss should be private and not aired to the media.

Again conjecture on my part.  Think that observation must been made to the player more than once in private and this was a lever to measure the level of his commitment.  Equally Northampton could just have offered more money and a longer deal.