The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I’d have released Connolly. He never established himself as a regular starter. He had some good moments but was fairly pish most of the time.
In particular I thought he was hopeless in both semi finals. Against Livingston he started and pretty much done nothing. Got himself in a great position at one point and chose the wrong pass and gave the ball away, which summed him up perfectly.
He replaced Tait at 0-0 against St Johnstone and promptly lost his man and allowed Middleton to cross for the opener.
Was no surprise that young Jay Henderson was ahead of him in the pecking order at the end of the season.
Tattie bye. I’d release JDH too, sick of waiting on him, plus he’s not up to much.

4 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I see the Evening Times has Dundee United chasing JDH. Will they be able to beat us on wages given their level of 

I work with a guy who's a dyed in the wool Arab.  He's seriously worried about the levels of debt they have.  Seriously...  

Imagine the lols if they go belly up.  🤣

17 minutes ago, Lex said:

I’d release JDH too, sick of waiting on him, plus he’s not up to much.

That's the point I've reached. He clearly doesn't want to play for Saints. You have to assume the offer on the table is a good one: send him on his way and use the cash on someone who actually wants to be here.

I'm ok with Connolly leaving as well, in fact, I'd have released him at the end of the season. Really fast but so inconsistent and very little end product. It's hard to see how he'd fit in just now as well, he was rotten at wing back and not much better up front.

JDH, yeah, I'd probably give up on that as well. I think he's going to be a good player for someone, but he wasn't great at the end of the season and we'd probably be better going after someone else now. It'll be dissapointing to see him sign for another Scottish team, but if he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to be here.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I probably disagree with the consensus here. As inconsistent as Connolly was, there was virtually no one in the league who could match him for pace. That's difficult to replace. 

I have to agree with you. He gives you an option and had pace to burn. Frees up another wage. Let's get some more faces in.

Connolly was a headless chicken with pace and no end product. I'm quite surprised we offered him renewed terms in the first place. He did a job for us now and then in a pinch but he's definitely not the sort of guy we should be trying for to push on. Some of the folk on social media gutted he's away has left me scratching my head. 

JDH to Utd would be a bizarre one and definitely not a forwards step. I mentioned last week that his agent clearly hasn't done his job if he wasn't already getting his big money move down south and the emergence of Utd as a contender shows that he is most certainly not the man in demand that they'd have had to believe in January. 

Edited by djchapsticks

47 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I probably disagree with the consensus here. As inconsistent as Connolly was, there was virtually no one in the league who could match him for pace. That's difficult to replace. 

I don't think anyone is questioning his pace, which, as you say, will be difficult to replace.

He had way more poor or meh games for me, than good ones. Sad to see him go, but not irreplaceable. 

Vital that we replace him with another speed merchant, as although Dunne is supposed to be quick, I'm not convinced his injury woes are behind him.

He replaced Tait at 0-0 against St Johnstone and promptly lost his man and allowed Middleton to cross for the opener.

I’d have subbed back off straight after that goal and chased him out the door as soon as the final whistle for that. Disgraceful considering he was on the pitch 2 minutes and was the fastest player on it. No loss - the money can be spent better.

I just wish the tickets were available now. I had to give my season ticket.up.when my son was born, as I couldn't justify working FT, then taking the day on Saturday to go to games. Now he is old enough and wants to come too. I want to see what seats are available and get him in to the rollercoaster of a ride that supporting St. Mirren really is.