The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I see from Twitter that Fitzy started following Regan Hendry yesterday....

I'd definitely class that as a coup if we get him. 

14 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

KL in next I hear?

Lafferty? Fuxake. I might have to swallow some of the comments I made about him in the last Killie game.

51 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

KL in next I hear?

I simply cant see it at all given his EXORBITANT wage demands. Unless a 400% increase was a sort of 'lower league levy'. 

Edited by djchapsticks

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I simply cant see it at all given his exuberant wage demands.

The reported £6k a week he asked for from Killie wouldn't even make him your top earner, IMO.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I simply cant see it at all given his exuberant wage demands. Unless a 400% increase was a sort of 'lower league levy'. 

He can't be that exuberant as he didn't get it...

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I simply cant see it at all given his exuberant wage demands. Unless a 400% increase was a sort of 'lower league levy'. 

Hot take but I don't think Lafferty's wage demands were exorbitant - assuming the story that ran earlier in the week wasn't just his agent flying a kite - there's every chance clubs would pay what he was asking for and tbh looking at the clubs he's played for that sort of wage is probably in line with what he's been paid throughout his career (in fact it's probably at the lower end of his wage history).

As an opening to a negotiation why wouldn't he ask for a figure he'd be able to get elsewhere? Clearly there's no chance Killie would have been paying that but I don't necessarily think it was worth the pearl clutching response it got when Killie released their statement.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hot take but I don't think Lafferty's wage demands were exorbitant - assuming the story that ran earlier in the week wasn't just his agent flying a kite - there's every chance clubs would pay what he was asking for and tbh looking at the clubs he's played for that sort of wage is probably in line with what he's been paid throughout his career (in fact it's probably at the lower end of his wage history).

As an opening to a negotiation why wouldn't he ask for a figure he'd be able to get elsewhere? Clearly there's no chance Killie would have been paying that but I don't necessarily think it was worth the pearl clutching response it got when Killie released their statement.

That's fair enough. He's clearly signed a short term deal as a favour and because he was outwith a transfer window accepted a reduced wage in doing so. A bit like Quaner with us. If he WAS on £1000 a week, I'm sure we can all agree that Killie had him at a total steal and couldn't be expecting him to sign on again for that. 

If he feels he's worth £5k a week then thats of course his prerogative to ask for it and more power to him. I just don't see us meeting that level of wage whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's fair enough. He's clearly signed a short term deal as a favour and because he was outwith a transfer window accepted a reduced wage in doing so. A bit like Quaner with us. If he WAS on £1000 a week, I'm sure we can all agree that Killie had him at a total steal and couldn't be expecting him to sign on again for that. 

If he feels he's worth £5k a week then thats of course his prerogative to ask for it and more power to him. I just don't see us meeting that level of wage whatsoever. 

Oh absolutely, we're supposed to have offered him a deal and if we have I can guarantee it'll be a fraction of that level of wage.

There just seemed to be a bit of "how very dare he ask for 4x what he was on" in the reaction to Killie's statement which seemed to overlook the fact that maybe there are still teams who would happily pay him that sort of wage.

I feel very weird defending Kyle Lafferty now.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Oh absolutely, we're supposed to have offered him a deal and if we have I can guarantee it'll be a fraction of that level of wage.

There just seemed to be a bit of a "how very dare he ask for 4x what he was on" in the reaction to Killie's statement which seemed to overlook the fact that maybe there are still teams who would happily pay him that sort of wage.

I mean maybe there is. If he ended up at a Premier league side though, I'd be shocked if he was on that wage. 

There's always the very likely possibility too that he intentionally priced himself out of hanging about as he doesn't fancy playing championship fitba so decided if he was to take a drop then the wages had to go up to offset that.