The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

These do feel like really weird signings tbh. Last season St Mirren picked up lots of young guys that looked like they were on an upwards trajectory in their careers but so far it's all been guys on a very obvious downwards slope, some of whom weren't even that great to begin with.

That's quite a bizarre take and not at all true.

Our first signings last summer were:

Marcus Fraser (26 and who was roundly labelled as 'meh' by County fans)
Joe Shaughnessy (27 and released from Southend)
Jak Alnwick (26 and released by Rangers)
Richard Tait (30)
Nathan Sheron (who was young but Alan Stubbs levels of shite)
Isak Thorvaldsson who fucked off after 2 game cos he was homesick.
Kristian Dennis (29 years old and playing conference with Notts County)

There's remarkably little there to back up your assertion. I'm only going to guess you meant McCarthy and McGrath who were the winter window before that...

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is that true? Tanser, 26, Kiltie, 24, Dunne, 28, Main, 28. I do accept that age isn't the only factor at play here, and that Main and Dunne certainly arrive with points to prove, but I think it looks like we're adding the experience of this level that we have previously lacked in certain areas. 

An experienced CM remains to be added.

Dunne and Main definitely aye. Kiltie was someone who was highly rated about 5 years ago and has now been turfed out to the Championship and relegated from the top flight in successive seasons. Maybe Transfer is debatable though yeah.

54 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

These do feel like really weird signings tbh. Last season St Mirren picked up lots of young guys that looked like they were on an upwards trajectory in their careers but so far it's all been guys on a very obvious downwards slope, some of whom weren't even that great to begin with.

Jamieson, Finlayson, Henderson,Erhahon,McPherson, Reid are all young players, we need some experienced players in the mix.

38 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Dunne and Main definitely aye. Kiltie was someone who was highly rated about 5 years ago and has now been turfed out to the Championship and relegated from the top flight in successive seasons. Maybe Transfer is debatable though yeah.

We have plenty of young talent in our squad. What we lacked was experience. Our signings are exactly what we need.  In Goodwin we trust

Happy to see us get a fair bit of our business done early, all players with experience in the division - I presume we are looking at one more similar short term and then holding back to see who is freed up towards the end of the window in August. 👍

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Kiltie's better now than he's ever been. Not at the level people thought he might be at when he was super young but has improved a lot when I've seen him the last couple of years. It's a bit of a risk that that trajectory continues but looks to me like a late developer coming good

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It does look as though the manager has identified a type he wants/ was lacking last season, and has gone out and plugged that gap.

I obviously don't know St Mirrens signings as their fans do,but over the last few years they have signed quite a few players from outwith the Premiership, some have done well, but there's always been more a gamble or unknown aspect there.  This time Goodwin has gone for players who have proved they can play at this level, albeit with differing levels of consistency, and in fairness he's got it done quickly and efficiently.

Not really. The young guys are all still there and now we have plugged gaps and added a wee bit more experience.
We had no left sided defenders last season. Now we have Dunne.
Durmus has sadly left but Tanser should fill that role.
Jim was not at all happy with Obika's workrate so Main replaces that.
We had a very young midfield last season and frequently most of our bench were Academy players. Kiltie is only 24 but more experienced than most of our midfield.

I feel even so far there is a far better balance to the squad.

56 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It does look as though the manager has identified a type he wants/ was lacking last season, and has gone out and plugged that gap.

I obviously don't know St Mirrens signings as their fans do,but over the last few years they have signed quite a few players from outwith the Premiership, some have done well, but there's always been more a gamble or unknown aspect there.  This time Goodwin has gone for players who have proved they can play at this level, albeit with differing levels of consistency, and in fairness he's got it done quickly and efficiently.

That's far too level headed and reasonable for this thread.

Another thing worth noting is a few teams had their players taking wage referrals and made promises about ST refunds. So could this not have an effect on next seasons budget? Depending on who's insurance covered what I suppose.

From memory I think Hibs, Aberdeen were 2, possibly Hearts and the Dundee teams too? United certainly ring a bell. I know Motherwell and United ST deals mean fans can pretty much get a free one this season, if i understood that right, not that everyone would. I'd guess 99% would take the hit.

Pretty sure the likes of Livi and StJ were similar to us, furloughing the players and topping up the rest ourselves whilst not having any wage referrals and not making any crazy promises for season tickets.

Tansers not a dud. Hes quite comfortably one of the better left wing backs in the division, if you ignore the OF. 
Hes just got some pretty glaring defensive weaknesses, and if Goodwin doesnt find a way to cover for them then he'll be exposed quite a lot. 
Perhaps he was suffering from poor quality defensive coaching ???

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Perhaps he was suffering from poor quality defensive coaching ???

Hes improved massively from when he joined, when he was literally a shitebag who'd run away from any confrontation. I'd be surprised if Callum Davidson isn't one of the best coaches in the Country in terms of full backs/wing backs too, what hes done with McNamara, then Rooney, this season is pretty incredible.

A lot of it seems mental with him, he admitted he was shite feart of Forrest after the 6-0 game and it showed tbh. It'll be interesting to see how he develops under Goodwin.

Jim Goodwin generally starts planning recruitment months in advance, so the players he has brought in will for the most part be his first choices.

I'm sure we have lost out on a few but he had very specific areas he wanted to strengthen so while they may not work out, they certainly won't be like some of the random signings we've seen before.