The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Honestly, the 2014/15 season is one of the worst I've ever seen as a Saints fan in terms of entertainment. Genuinely felt like we just tried to slog a 0-0 every single week.

If we finish 4th and qualify for Europe again then will take it……..

3 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Tenser is a good signing for St Mirren as he is a decent enough attacking wing back. But you will need a player like Booth for the games when you are playing against a winger with a bit of pace as he had been found lacking on many occasions.....O'Hallaron would destroy him.

As was mentioned on our thread by someone else, Rooney v Tanser at the back post is a massive mismatch, so thats something we'll hopefully be able to exploit.

We found the centre of the box exposed a lot this season as McCart was forced over to help Tanser out in these situations, part of the reason we improved defensively when Booth came in. Interesting how St Mirren deal with that issue.

I recall us being told this time last year that Marcus Fraser was an absolute dud as well. He went on to be a standout last season.
Based on that, I’m not really arsed about Saintees fan’s views on Tanser TBH.
Yeah St Johnstone fans appear to have turned into arrogant, Billy big baws fuckin experts all of a sudden

4 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I recall us being told this time last year that Marcus Fraser was an absolute dud as well. He went on to be a standout last season.

Tansers not a dud. Hes quite comfortably one of the better left wing backs in the division, if you ignore the OF. 

Hes just got some pretty glaring defensive weaknesses, and if Goodwin doesnt find a way to cover for them then he'll be exposed quite a lot. 

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Some of the "not actually bothered" posts from the Saintees have been fucking tremendous. Pages and pages of people definitely not bothered at all.

The cherry on top would be if we somehow bagged Middleton on loan. He’d be absolutely pish all of a sudden.

8 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I don’t think anyone has said he’s a dud. He’s a good attacking wingback, not so hot defensively and has been exposed quite horribly in a back 4 on a number of occasions. There was a spell in the 19/20 season - before we changed to a back 5 - where Booth was the preferred option as Tanser’s confidence was shot after a string of poor performances. 

I think it says a lot that Booth was trusted in most of the big games at LWB last season. Not a reflection on Tanser’s overall ability, just a note on him when were likely to be under the cosh. 

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Some of the "not actually bothered" posts from the Saintees have been fucking tremendous. Pages and pages of people definitely not bothered at all.

It’s tough, he’s a good player but had fallen out of favour (probably because of his contract situation, his agent has been hawking him around for months) and was injured for spells towards the end of the season. We won’t miss him because Booth has come in and done a good job both defensively and offensively since the turn of the year but there’s no question he would’ve provided stiff competition for Booth and he may have won the jersey back in time. 

He’ll do well for St Mirren if you’re playing a 3-5-2 and will be fine as cover in a 4-4-2. I wouldn’t want to rely on him as first choice if you’re regularly playing a back 4. 

Well obviously we've peaked too soon this close season. Have we fired our bullets too soon ??  Poor poker play perhaps ??

We've shown our hand, we've shot our load, and we've blown our full year budget and others can already see what our tactical options will be for next season. A schoolboy error from Jim Goodwin, eh ?

Oh well, never mind.

We know that Dundee will be shite. And Dundee United. Ross County as well, and Livingston have shot their bolt.

So it's onward and upward for the Paisley Juventus !!!!!

😁

24 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Tanser is far from being "  A Dud " he is a good attacking full back as long as you have an alternative when defensive  cover is required as he has been caught out on many occasions..That is why Booth always played against teams who had a wide player with a bit of pace.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tansers not a dud. Hes quite comfortably one of the better left wing backs in the division, if you ignore the OF. 

Hes just got some pretty glaring defensive weaknesses, and if Goodwin doesnt find a way to cover for them then he'll be exposed quite a lot. 

Durmus couldn't defend to save himself in his first season. It was only this season that you could see the change in his game defensively.

Much of his improvement in that area this season was down to coaching by our backroom staff.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Durmus couldn't defend to save himself in his first season. It was only this season that you could see the change in his game defensively.

Much of his improvement in that area this season was down to coaching by our backroom staff.

Bodes well for Tanser then perhaps. Issues are he can't defend the back post as hes unwilling to put his body on the line, and any winger that has pace to beat him from a standing start, and any winger who can cut inside, if you're looking to see whether he improves or not from the Tanser we had. We generally had McCart and/or Craig blocking off an inside route so wingers could only go outside Tanser, which made his job easier. McCart would also help cover the back post when opponents were building up down the right, which helped prevent Tanser be 1v1 at the back post.

If you can improve/prevent these situations for him, then he'll be a decent signing. Genuinely think if McInnes had stayed at Aberdeen then he'd have rocked up there.

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think anyone has said he’s a dud. He’s a good attacking wingback, not so hot defensively and has been exposed quite horribly in a back 4 on a number of occasions. There was a spell in the 19/20 season - before we changed to a back 5 - where Booth was the preferred option as Tanser’s confidence was shot after a string of poor performances. 

I think it says a lot that Booth was trusted in most of the big games at LWB last season. Not a reflection on Tanser’s overall ability, just a note on him when were likely to be under the cosh. 

It’s tough, he’s a good player but had fallen out of favour (probably because of his contract situation, his agent has been hawking him around for months) and was injured for spells towards the end of the season. We won’t miss him because Booth has come in and done a good job both defensively and offensively since the turn of the year but there’s no question he would’ve provided stiff competition for Booth and he may have won the jersey back in time. 

He’ll do well for St Mirren if you’re playing a 3-5-2 and will be fine as cover in a 4-4-2. I wouldn’t want to rely on him as first choice if you’re regularly playing a back 4. 

He's a solid Scottish Premier level player with glaring strengths and weaknesses just like dozens of others who are going to move between clubs this summer. These guys aren't going to retire as millionaires and will take the extra £100 a week wherever it's on offer. It's not worth the angst, especially if you already have a guy doing the same job that you are just as happy with.

I don't think the Saintees fans are taking it all that badly to be honest.

It comes back to the two questions I mentioned yesterday for any known quantity signing.

Do fans of other clubs wish they'd signed him? Do fans of the club he is leaving lament the fact they are losing him to a rival?

I'd say in the case of both Kiltie and Tanser, the answer to at least one of those questions is 'yes'.

It's like Jake Doyle-Hayes for us. We've all noted glaring weaknesses in his game (and all players at our level certainly have their weaknesses) and there's plenty there to improve. Am I fussed that he's mulling over a new deal and unlikely to sign? Not overly so - his level of performance suggests that he can be replaced by someone more suited to the role he currently fills. 

Would I be happy for him to walk away and end up at St. Johnstone though? Absolutely not. Weakness or not, he's still a valuable asset and if played correctly, would improve them. So I'm imagining it's a similar situation with Saintees fans and both Tanser leaving as well as missing out on Kiltie.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

He's a solid Scottish Premier level player with glaring strengths and weaknesses just like dozens of others who are going to move between clubs this summer. These guys aren't going to retire as millionaires and will take the extra £100 a week wherever it's on offer. It's not worth the angst, especially if you already have a guy doing the same job that you are just as happy with.

Am I coming across as angsty? Sorry if so, I’m just trying to give a full description of a player I’ve watched most weeks for the last 4 years and trying to be honest. I was never his biggest fan as I always felt we were vulnerable with him at left back of a 4 but he has clear strengths and I’ve tried to set them out. 

I’ve posted a few times about understanding why players would leave to sign for another club for a bit extra cash. It’s a short career and most of them have young families to think about. Factor in Tanser will be an hour or so closer to Blackpool means he can visit his family more easily too. I don’t hold any ill will towards him. He’s a decent player, particularly in the shape we play, but he’s not irreplaceable and we can take a gamble on the next 22 year old LWB Tanser clone (if there is such a thing) who’s just been released by a league one English club whilst possessing a reliable first choice in front of him.  

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

German Striker Matheus Armstad has signed a three year deal tonight. 4 signings in one day. 

That one was a wind up Ian. Quite clever from whoever stuck it on twitter just as the official site had tweeted another signing on the way.

I am definitely bothered. Scott Tanser has been a massive part of our success over the last few years. We will be much weaker without him, and I have no doubt you will take nine points out of nine from us. You need to extend his deal though, you will miss out on millions otherwise.
Congratulations on winning the league btw.

I'm liking St Mirren's transfer process this season. Picking up some players that other Prem clubs would have kept but probably overpaying them.
Keeps it tasty and lots of potential banter and GIRUY's if you do well and potential for the opposite to be the case as well.
Well in.
It's bubbling away nicely as they say. Could pay off, could back fire. I do worry we still won't score enough goals, with the squad we have so far.

Will be interesting to see how big our budget is for next season. I'd put my house on it still being smaller than both Dundee clubs though.