The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Another good signing. Good day for the club, three players with experience at this level. Defender, midfielder, attacker.
Bit weird this having our squad so well prepared and we are still in the first week of June.

Apparently Tanser plays better as a wing back which I guess suits Jim’s desire to play 3-5-2.

Plenty options for the back line now:

Tait - Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Tanser

Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Dunne - Tanser

1 minute ago, ulysses said:

Apparently Tanser plays better as a wing back which I guess suits Jim’s desire to play 3-5-2.

Plenty options for the back line now:

Tait - Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Tanser

Fraser - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Dunne - Tanser

Throw Finlayson into that mixer as well and I reckon the defence is now done.

We also have a setup that could also play 4 at the back. Tanser is better as a wing back than full back so even if playing a 4, you could put Tait and Fraser at full back and play any combination of the four centre halves.

That's four of Jim's intended six signings so two left....based on no-one leaving (which is unlikely to be honest).

I reckon there's still a holding mid and a centre forward to come.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

In all seriousness this is a major worry for me. After the last cup win in 2014 everyone seemed to spend the Summer patting themselves on the back, and we ended up selling May and scrambling around to replace him to the point the best option was Brian Graham on loan. Long term it forced "glory hunter" fans away as we had to shitfest that entire season.

Its still early but I'm fearful we're all about to witness a club stagnating due to success again. Kiltie is a top 6 signing for any club, in terms of now and in the future.

Clearly I'm no Fergie - If we ever win two cups in a season, RG, I'll be quite happy to "stagnate" for the next season or two.   

8 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Apparently Tanser plays better as a wing back 

I would only ever play him as a wing back. He's woeful against the majority of wingers in this division. Boyle and Burke both tied him in knots regularly, and Forrest bagging 4 in 30 mins against us was massively down to Tansers inability to judge when to tackle.

As a wing back you'll get good crosses, but he's not quick and won't beat men.

A good left wing back, but I'd rather have Durmus there tbh. You get more going forward and not any less defensively.

4 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Clearly I'm no Fergie - If we ever win two cups in a season, RG, I'll be quite happy to "stagnate" for the next season or two.   

Honestly, the 2014/15 season is one of the worst I've ever seen as a Saints fan in terms of entertainment. Genuinely felt like we just tried to slog a 0-0 every single week.