The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I really despair of the negativity of our fans some times.

Signed a new striker on a 2 year deal.  Early in the transfer deadline so he's clearly someone the management wants and not a last minute desperation signing.

This is the management team that got us to both cup semis and our highest league finish since Labour were relevant in Scotland.

Give Jim and Curtis a break FFS.

Main will prove to be a good signing for you lot I think.

He's not an out and out goal scorer but puts in a shift and can give a bit of a "chaos factor" which can create chances for others. I was surprised when Aberdeen signed him from but for a team looking to push for top 6 I think he'll definitely do a job and there are far worse strikers at this level.

Jim does say that he likes a pool of 5 forwards to choose from. Main will be our 4th.

However, this only approaches becoming an understandable signing on the proviso that Lee Erwin is now moved on ASAP. I can sort of understand people saying he's a worker, harries the opposition etc so that might somewhat make up for a lack of goals but Erwin, for his nice touches and decent(ish), link up, doesn't do any of that donkey work and can't fall back on an abundance of goals to mask this.

So now that Main is in, there's surely no space for Erwin?

Main was fantastic for us for six months. I think he scored 8 in his first 16 games.

He then had a woeful six months, but after Christmas in his second season, the pressure on him to score seem to be relieved as Turnbull and Hastie started scoring and he actually became very useful at being the big man up front who hassled the defenders and allowed other players to produce. Despite the goals drying up after six months, he did play a pivotal role for 1.5 of his 2 seasons with us.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Success. Playing in Ireland. As I said there's a reason Lewis Ferguson hasn't played in Ireland to win any of the trophies there.
15 goals, 2 cup semis and 2 caps this season is better than Ferguson's record.

I'm behind this. He's a unit, he works hard. If he gives his all, he'll get the backing from the fans. 

As it stands, I'm confident our strike force at the start of next season is stronger than at the start of last season. So that's progress.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:
4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:
Success. Playing in Ireland. As I said there's a reason Lewis Ferguson hasn't played in Ireland to win any of the trophies there.

15 goals, 2 cup semis and 2 caps this season is better than Ferguson's record.

Oh dear.

7 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Greg Kiltie incoming emoji102.png

On 06/06/2021 at 15:19, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren fans are convinced they're signing him, so you have to make sure that doesn't happen.

We're in a similar battle with them over Kiltie.

Wee things need kept in their box.

Don't we look stupid now :lol: