The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Main is apparently not just a rumour.

That's a very concerning signing if it happens. 

I remember seeing him very early on in the season he played for Motherwell and thinking he looked the real deal: everything we lacked up front. He was powerful, held it up well and looked a real threat. Seems that was something of an anomaly.

He's been largely awful since and I certainly can't see how there's room for him and Erwin in the squad.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I remember seeing him very early on in the season he played for Motherwell and thinking he looked the real deal: everything we lacked up front. He was powerful, held it up well and looked a real threat. Seems that was something of an anomaly.

He's been largely awful since and I certainly can't see how there's room for him and Erwin in the squad.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon it could signal the end for Erwin. 

Both are pretty similar in style but Erwin doesn't do the level of pressing that Main does. I simply can't see us going with both of them in the squad.

I know we aren’t in the market for a 15-20 goal striker but I agree,  signing a striker we know won’t score more than a few goals is so underwhelming. Aberdeen took a punt on him believing they could turn him into something and they failed.  I do not know how Jim believes he can get something out him a better team couldn’t. Still if he sign,  hope he proves us all wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He looked terrific when he first joined, I though he would go on to score a bucketful of goals. I always loved his energy, always put the work in, great at holding up the ball. Sadly it got to the point he could not score with an open goal which was a real shame. I’ve seen a lot worse players in truth.

28 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that the bold Curtis' time at Motherwell is probably due a re-appraisal.

Obviously everyone knows about his purple patch when he arrived and peaked with him and Bowman bodying Aberdeen's defence all over Hampden but the lack of goals in his 2nd season has probably overshadowed the fact that he was actually a big part of making Sexy Motherwell v1.0 work.

He did all the heavy lifting in the side and was pretty much the wrecking ball that allowed us to get the best out of Turnbull as an #8 along with Ariyibi and Hastie playing off him wide.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

I know we aren’t in the market for a 15-20 goal striker but I agree,  signing a striker we know won’t score more than a few goals is so underwhelming. Aberdeen took a punt on him believing they could turn him into something and they failed.  I do not know how Jim believes he can get something out him a better team couldn’t. Still if he sign,  hope he proves us all wrong. 

I doubt he will. We've made some strange signings in the last 20 years, but this takes the biscuit. 

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that the bold Curtis' time at Motherwell is probably due a re-appraisal.

Obviously everyone knows about his purple patch when he arrived and peaked with him and Bowman bodying Aberdeen's defence all over Hampden but the lack of goals in his 2nd season has probably overshadowed the fact that he was actually a big part of making Sexy Motherwell v1.0 work.

He did all the heavy lifting in the side and was pretty much the wrecking ball that allowed us to get the best out of Turnbull as an #8 along with Ariyibi and Hastie playing off him wide.

I'd love nothing more to be coming back here at the end of the season and laughing at how badly wrong I got it.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd love nothing more to be coming back here at the end of the season and laughing at how badly wrong I got it.

I mean, is he a good, technical footballer? Not really.

Can he be effective if used correctly? Absolutely.

Someone mentioned a few posts up that Goodwin's after a "pressing forward". That's a description that's a very good fit for Main IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

I mean, is he a good, technical footballer? Not really.

Can he be effective if used correctly? Absolutely.

Someone mentioned a few posts up that Goodwin's after a "pressing forward". That's a description that's a very good fit for Main IMO.

Goodwin definitely wanted that from Obika and the reason he was told in January he wasn't getting a new contract was because he didn't work those areas hard enough.

I get the feeling he also wants that from Erwin and won't get it from him which is why I would imagine his days are also numbered.

I’ll go against the grain here and suggest that Main is just the type of player Goodwin has been looking for. He wants a big battering ram who will bully opposition defenders, in order to create chances for Brophy and Dennis. He’s definitely an upgrade on Erwin who should hopefully be punted to a championship team.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

I doubt he will. We've made some strange signings in the last 20 years, but this takes the biscuit. 

Main wouldn't have been at the top of my list but he's no where near the strangest signing in the past 20 years. 

25 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Main wouldn't have been at the top of my list but he's no where near the strangest signing in the past 20 years. 

As higher profile signings go - definitely top 5 for me.

On 05/06/2021 at 11:07, NorthBank said:

McGrath has played in the Europa League, the Champions League, won the LoI Cup with St Patrick's Athletic (twice) and 2 League & League Cup doubles with Dundalk. Capped at U19, U21 and full international. Scored 17 goals for St Mirren last season from midfield and reached two cup semi finals.

Lewis Feguson, won nothing, capped at U19,U20 and U21 and scored 10 goals from midfield last season.

Yet Dons fans believe they can sell Ferguson for £2M and buy McGrath for 1/10 of that. His performances this season have moved us up the League generating far more income than that. Keep doing it next season and he will pay us back even more and can choose who he wants to sign for in a year's time. Aberdeen is not a step up for him.

There might be a specific reason why Lewis Ferguson has never won anything in Irish football. Odd comparison.