The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Would you like Dylan McGeouch?
He was once a decent player. If fit he could be a useful addition. But not at the expense of McGrath. However our signing policy these days are Irish lads and he doesn't fit the bill default_smile.png

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

We need an experienced midfielder for two reasons 1 Erhahon needs coaching during a game and 2 our very young midfield didn't have the required savvy in some games this season particularly the two semi finals. Flynn's return will help but can he play a full seadon?

Pointless talking about Obika. As the main striker he scored 5 league goals all season with 1 assist and Jim condemned him for his work rate, noteably closing down. Obika was told in Jan he could find another club so he will not be returning while Jim is manager. Devante Cole is a name I have heard mentioned but who knows which strikers we will sign.

My point wasn't that we should resign Obika, it was more along the lines of Curtis Main definitely not being an upgrade on a player we just let leave, so if it was the case we'd have been as well just keeping him.

It reminds me of a couple of years ago (just after Jim got the job) when we had Louis Longridge on trial and I was getting really agitated we were even looking at that level of player. So folk we getting a bit annoyed and saying I'd written the guy off before even giving him a chance in a Saints shirt and I fully agreed that I was. I'd seen enough of him jobbing about the leagues for years to know I wouldn't want him playing for us due to lack of ability.

Curtis Main, whilst not just as pish as Longridge, definitely has shades of that feeling.

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As much use as a spaz in a magnet factory. 

AlarmedEnchantedHectorsdolphin-max-1mb.gif.93ee8141aade3455c3fdad993a4eee88.gif

You're not on AFC chat anymore m8, clamp that shit.

28 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As a Dons fan, I’ll let you in to a secret.

Curtis Main is one of the worst players to have worn a no9 jersey for the Dons.

As much use as a spaz in a magnet factory. 

If you have ambitions to be a regular top 6 team, then avoid, avoid, avoid. 

Welcome back 1972.

It would appear that Jim will go with Brophy and Dennis as the first choice striker partnership next season, If he keeps Erwin on the books then we definitely need another option or two in the squad. I’d be happy if we get someone in who we haven’t heard of by way of rumour through social media. I’d like to think Jim can find another gem from one of the Irish teams. McGrath and McCarthy are prime examples of a market that’s given us rich pickings.

When we sign a player who is known in Scottish football I usually ask myself two things.

Is this a player I'd have been raging at us missing out on to a rival?

Is this a player that rival fans are kicking themselves that we've beaten them to?

Can anyone honestly say the answer to either of those questions is 'yes' with Main? Do we honestly think supporters of teams like St. Johnstone, Livi, Dundee Utd are going 'shit, that will be a handy signing for them?' And with good reason!

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Main is apparently not just a rumour.

That's a very concerning signing if it happens. 

Signing tomorrow subject to a medical. 

Backwards step if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

Signing tomorrow subject to a medical. 

Backwards step if you ask me.

Total waste of a wage and nothing more than a squad player. I honestly don’t know what Jim is thinking, for a manager to complain about the strikers lack of goals and sign Curtis Main is beyond ironic.

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

Total waste of a wage and nothing more than a squad player. I honestly don’t know what Jim is thinking, for a manager to complain about the strikers lack of goals and sign Curtis Main is beyond ironic.

Supposedly a decent guy , but shite goalscorer.  

And to think we Obika was released for this ???