The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Can't see it being us, CM is our strongest position and we're overloaded with players there as well

I mean, that won't count for much if your signing strategy is the same as last season (namely, sign everyone). ;)

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, that won't count for much if your signing strategy is the same as last season (namely, sign everyone). ;)

True :D Think we're running a smaller squad for this season though. Think we let about 12 go and signed 3 or 4 now. Guthrie is still to leave as well but he's been replaced by Parkes. 

I can't see Polworth playing over Pittman or Sibbald though, especially if we get Diani back. Shame as he's a good player but he'd clearly want to be a main starter every game

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

True :D Think we're running a smaller squad for this season though. Think we let about 12 go and signed 3 or 4 now. Guthrie is still to leave as well but he's been replaced by Parkes. 

I can't see Polworth playing over Pittman or Sibbald though, especially if we get Diani back. Shame as he's a good player but he'd clearly want to be a main starter every game

I definitely think Polworth would be a better fit in our midfield than Livingston's. A lot was said about our lack of goals and scorers last season but I think the main issue most Saints fans could pinpoint was being wasteful in chances created both through the middle and on the wings.

With JDH presumably going (a guy who I don't think we got the best of by any means), we'll need to replace him with a proper holding midfielder - this is going to be a massive season for young Dylan Reid but I'd be surprised if he plays week-in week-out. Aside from that we definitely need the type of player who can pick runs ahead of him and although I'd love Stevie Mallan if I could be offered anyone semi-realistic, Polworth definitely fits the bill in that regard.

From there, I'd say we should be looking at two wide players (Durmus' replacement first and foremost) and a centre forward. That would be our 5 that Goodwin has spoken of IF no-one else leaves but you could make a realistic case for Connolly, JDH, Erwin, McGrath all going for various reasons and possibly even Erhahon if there's interest from bigger sides.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Yes, you've certainly got the better end of that with his zero goals and lengthy injury. 

Still has 3 years of his contract to go. With a full pre season and injuries hopefully behind him, I can see him recapturing the form he had a couple of seasons ago. Still reasonably young. 

I'm not sure Polworth is a starter at any top flight club he could realistically get?

Aberdeen, Celtic, Hibs, and Rangers probably all looking for better.

Motherwell obviously ruled out, and sounds like a County are too.

Hearts don't seem to like using players like that, and he's nowhere near hard working enough to fit in at Livingston.

So you're left with Dundee, Dundee United, and the two Saints.

Dundee have Adam, St Mirren have McGrath, and we have Wotherspoon, he doesn't start ahead of any of them, while United are apparently trying to bring through their youth and have given Pawlett a long deal.

Can't agree with this. Goodwin clearly said that the folk he was getting in had to be the right people as there's no point in just bringing in a player who can provide backup in a pinch. They need to be at least as good as those we do have.
I do agree that this is difficult to do and keep everyone happy but then Goodwin also said last night that he had been waiting on this one being public for a few months now so he clearly knew that this was a player he wanted for a while.
Yep thats fair enough bud.

Definitely a risky signing, no getting around that. We have got away with low numbers at the back in recent seasons.

Just need to hope he gets a good pre season under his belt but with the lack of game time he is bound to pick up a niggly injury.

30 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Still has 3 years of his contract to go. With a full pre season and injuries hopefully behind him, I can see him recapturing the form he had a couple of seasons ago. Still reasonably young. 

He’s never been a good goal scorer.

Almost a 1 in 5 goals per game player.

His best league season has been 11 (including penalties).

And at the alleged wage you’re giving him, that’s waaay over-priced. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’s never been a good goal scorer.

Almost a 1 in 5 goals per game player.

His best league season has been 11 (including penalties).

I'm confident he'll hit double figures again next season. 

We won't be paying him a wage that we can't afford. 

Mental how all these fans of other clubs seem to know the wages we’re paying and offering players. 

Yet in the real world we literally hear very little, if anything of signings before they are made. 

Club’s improved hugely in that regard since Goodwin arrived, we used to leak like a sieve. The vast majority of the signings we make now are now unspoken about till the day they are announced. Dunne being the latest one to catch the ITK crowd cold.

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

How much are we allegedly paying him? Aside from the usual £10k per week jokes, there's literally nothing been speculated on this front so I'm amazed that other teams supporters apparently are privvy to this information.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

There’s a rumour on twitter that Curtis Main is heading our way this week. A bit meh if there’s any mileage in the story.

That can get in the sea. Last thing we need is another 1 goal in 6 striker as Lee Erwin is filling that berth just fine.

I'd like to think JG saw him struggling to score regularly for top 3/4 clubs in Motherwell and Aberdeen and will wisely give him a wide berth.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

How much are we allegedly paying him? Aside from the usual £10k per week jokes, there's literally nothing been speculated on this front so I'm amazed that other teams supporters apparently are privvy to this information.

Because I was told by a St Mirren supporting friend.