The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've still no idea where he actually fits into our team though.

Same goes for wingers with us, tbh. While we are doubtless being priced out of keeping Durmus, if money wasn't an issue, I'm not sure I'd want to carry on playing LWB if I were him.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Same goes for wingers with us, tbh. While we are doubtless being priced out of keeping Durmus, if money wasn't an issue, I'm not sure I'd want to carry on playing LWB if I were him.

Tbf we do play with wingers of sorts, on occasion. O'Halloran is just too thick to regularly play a role that isn't "get ball, face byline, kick ball towards byline, run quick", so he doesn't really fit in a role that requires him to find space between defences/midfields and do something unexpected.

1 hour ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Pretty sure he is talking shite as I've been told MOH is staying at Saints 

Slight negotiations needed on contract and wages but my contact is a journalist and usually spot on when it comes to Saints and reckons it will be tied up soon.

Hope he stays with you. He is over rated

I tell you what, if MoH doesn't sign for us now, then those who come onto this thread claiming to be ITK will look really stupid. Of course, it's not the first time such a rumour has been posted, and it's also not the first time those people have been wrong.

Anyway, onto Dunne. We needed left sided defensive cover, we have right sided as both Tait and Fraser can play there, while Flynn has shown he can play that position should push come to shove. However, to me, Finlayson looked like a player that would really benefit with six months of regular play time, ideally somewhere near the top of the Championship. If Goodwin also makes that judgement, then Dunne's addition maybe looks less of a gamble and more by design.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I tell you what, if MoH doesn't sign for us now, then those who come onto this thread claiming to be ITK will look really stupid. Of course, it's not the first time such a rumour has been posted, and it's also not the first time those people have been wrong.

Anyway, onto Dunne. We needed left sided defensive cover, we have right sided as both Tait and Fraser can play there, while Flynn has shown he can play that position should push come to shove. However, to me, Finlayson looked like a player that would really benefit with six months of regular play time, ideally somewhere near the top of the Championship. If Goodwin also makes that judgement, then Dunne's addition maybe looks less of a gamble and more by design.

Where did I say O’Halloran was definitely  signing?

I said we were in for him and had offered him a deal, a good deal at that.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Possibly Aberdeen, I suppose. He could do a job for any side outside the OF, of that I'm fairly sure.

Durmus would start for every team in Scotland outside the old firm, he’s going to be very hard to replace.

Because I've watched O'Halloran playing for the past 2 seasons and hes clearly finished now hes lost half a yard of pace. Chucking a wage at him is poor, replacing a player like Durmus with him is abysmal.
At best he should be back up as a RWB or RW. Nothing more.
Yet your manager, who seems to have good eye for a player, wants to keep him.

I also have to laugh at the "we couldn't offer him that type of money" comments.

Your team has just won two cups and has been financially well run for ages. Also, we don't pay wages that we can't afford and, although financially stable, we're hardly in a position to be outcompeting such a successful club as yourselves in terms of wages.

Just now, Lex said:

Well, this is awkward.

IMG_5964.jpg

🤣

Confirms he "turned down better offers" from clubs in the division to stay.

I still have no idea where he fits into our squad, and still think he needs to improve a lot.

Sounds like he's taken a wage cut to get the security of a 2yr deal, which is decent.

1 minute ago, Stan Bo said:

Wonder if we would be in for Kiltie who’s just left killie, always thought he was a decent player but seemed to be in and out their team. 

If Bolton are in for him, Bolton will get him. They'll offer more than most clubs up here will be able to.