The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

When we signed Fraser, Tait and Shaughnessy we had opposition supporters telling us how bad they would be. I think I'll wait and see how Dunne gets on with us.

Big Joe certainly aided our cause several times this past season. Pleasant fella he is too.

39 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Big Joe certainly aided our cause several times this past season. Pleasant fella he is too.

Big Joe will improve after a good pre season I reckon. He does get a hard time from a section of our support but that goes with the territory as fans love a scapegoat.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Big Joe will improve after a good pre season I reckon. He does get a hard time from a section of our support but that goes with the territory as fans love a scapegoat.

Aye. Especially one that plays centre half. Can't remember the last time we didn't have a CB that fans labelled a 'bombscare' 

Surely Dunne is only a massive risk if we have signed him on Brophy type wages? (Aka 10k a week propa wonga)

As for as I can see he will be a back up to Fraser, Shaughnessy and McCarthy? Possibly on a basic wage topped up with appearance bonuses or a pay as you play type deal?

Can't see us breaking the bank for a back up player, it is also be difficult to convince guys in their early to mid 20s to sit on the bench and bide their time for a chance when they need to play week in week out (see Baird for example).

If we bring in another 5 players like this then I'll be concerned.

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Surely Dunne is only a massive risk if we have signed him on Brophy type wages? (Aka 10k a week propa wonga)

As for as I can see he will be a back up to Fraser, Shaughnessy and McCarthy? Possibly on a basic wage topped up with appearance bonuses or a pay as you play type deal?

Can't see us breaking the bank for a back up player, it is also be difficult to convince guys in their early to mid 20s to sit on the bench and bide their time for a chance when they need to play week in week out (see Baird for example).

Can't agree with this. Goodwin clearly said that the folk he was getting in had to be the right people as there's no point in just bringing in a player who can provide backup in a pinch. They need to be at least as good as those we do have.

I do agree that this is difficult to do and keep everyone happy but then Goodwin also said last night that he had been waiting on this one being public for a few months now so he clearly knew that this was a player he wanted for a while.

7 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

So if he is not going to be a backup who do you think Dunne will replace?  Or do you think this signals a return to a back 4?

I don't think he'll be jumping right in but he can play Left Centre back or Left Back. I just mean he won't be in the squad as a Finlayson or Baird type only being played in a pinch. 

We got very lucky last year with centre halves all things considered and most games where we did play 4 at the back, McCarthy and Shaughnessy were almost always available as our paining. It makes sense for us not to expect that again this season.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We got very lucky last year with centre halves all things considered and most games where we did play 4 at the back, McCarthy and Shaughnessy were almost always available as our paining. It makes sense for us not to expect that again this season.

Yes we did. And it was exactly the same the season before, if I remember rightly, before the shut down. Hopefully next season we'll go in with some deeper options at the back. We had a good defensive record last year but we always seemed to be one injury/suspension away from calamity.

22 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Yes we did. And it was exactly the same the season before, if I remember rightly, before the shut down. Hopefully next season we'll go in with some deeper options at the back. We had a good defensive record last year but we always seemed to be one injury/suspension away from calamity.

Did we not have a bit of a crisis brewing just at shutdown? I'm sure McCarthy and MacPherson both got injured in the Hearts game, and Waters couldn't play the next match v Killie so we were going into that with no left back, one fit CB and Hodson. Foley would have been the other CB but we had nobody to take his place in midfeild, apart from maybe Andreu!

It’s the same level of risk we took signing Brandon Mason on a year long loan deal. The week prior he got a serious knee injury which had him out for 7 months of that loan deal...

We shouldn’t have the same glut of games in February of the forthcoming season but Dunne would’ve been a good option to have this season to at least give us more options.

Disappointing to see Durmus leave but understandable given the past 18 months. He was a really good player, Goodwin will do well to find a replacement of a similar calibre.

Yeah pretty sad to see Durmus gone - get a whiff that Jim doesn't 100% believe that he's headed home given that quote.

Ilkay has decided that he wants to go home and it’s unlikely that he will be in Scotland at the start of next season. He certainly won’t be wearing a St Mirren strip unfortunately

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm very much 'meh' about Connolly staying. 

He doesn't create enough consistently for me. On his day he's as fast as shit off a stick but you generally know in the first couple of minutes if he's on it or not and more often, he's ineffective. 

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm very much 'meh' about Connolly staying. 

He doesn't create enough consistently for me. On his day he's as fast as shit off a stick but you generally know in the first couple of minutes if he's on it or not and more often, he's ineffective. 

I guess Durmus leaving has increased Connolly's stock slightly. I think we're aiming for as little churn in the squad as possible.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah pretty sad to see Durmus gone - get a whiff that Jim doesn't 100% believe that he's headed home given that quote.

He’s not definitely heading home, a few teams in for him from here offering a lot more than we were.

11 minutes ago, McG said:

He’s not definitely heading home, a few teams in for him from here offering a lot more than we were.

I’m sure one of them will offer a fetching range of cardigans.