The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Isn't it a group format? I thought you were in it until December either way.

UEFA changed it like a month ago for some reason.

We go into the Europa Qualifying rounds. 

If/when we lose that tie, we drop into the Conference League Play-Off.

We'll reach the Groups of one of the tournaments if we manage to progress through a single round of either tournament, but the clubs we're facing are all pretty strong tbh.

I'll put it in spoilers but this was potential opponents a week ago according to some twitter account...

Spoiler

E2AJKpvWYAIg9sx.png.28d2a62d821e507980ff480e71c6d082.png

One of these teams, bar Celtic who we can't face. There's apparently a chance it could be a Swiss team like Luzern, but it's really slim according to Twitter guy.

Lose that then...

E2A44GqWEAA74Tc.png.ba2f4e236a16df59909ab3cea2982b77.png

One of those. Plus 2 of the other teams who lost in the round we were just in.

Think we'd be due to play one of the seeded sides, but it's some complicated way they draw this round that I don't understand.

Although it's now being talked about that we're guaranteed group stage football if Man U beat Villareal.

Screenshot_20210526-140757_Chrome.jpg.b8652b07191254e5e4b51e5f4bb8b878.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

No, that isn't the point I'm making.

As for the baggage, aside from his constant cheating on the field, there is the case of him sending unwanted penis pics to young women and him being guilty of placing bets.

Still, as I said, thankfully he isn't coming to us.

Tbh , I imagine a high percentage of footballers place bets- he just got caught. 

I'm not so sure about the other stuff though. 

Just now, Munoz said:

Tbh , I imagine a high percentage of footballers place bets- he just got caught.

Really? The "it's ok.... so long as you don't get caught" line? Come now.

While you may or may not be right, that there are lots of footballers doing that, the point is Lafferty did and got caught.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Really? The "it's ok.... so long as you don't get caught" line? Come now.

While you may or may not be right, that there are lots of footballers doing that, the point is Lafferty did and got caught.

I don't really want the likes of Lafferty at our club, but its definitely not for him having a flutter on games he wasn't involved in.

Silly rule if you ask me. 

No, that isn't the point I'm making.
As for the baggage, aside from his constant cheating on the field, there is the case of him sending unwanted penis pics to young women and him being guilty of placing bets.

Still, as I said, thankfully he isn't coming to us.

What point are you making, then? That Dennis and Brophy are as good as, or better, strikers? Or simply that we don't need a striker who can score goals?

7 hours ago, BC17 said:

What point are you making, then? That Dennis and Brophy are as good as, or better, strikers? Or simply that we don't need a striker who can score goals?

Ok, first off Lafferty is not some sort of goal machine. Yes, he had a purple patch with Killie but previously he has struggled to score. The idea that Lafferty is somehow guaranteed to bring double figure scoring is one thing I'm pushing back against.

Secondly I just don't believe you can make the decision that Lafferty is a better player than either Brophy and/or Dennis. Considering the latter two were hampered by injury I just don't believe that is a claim you can make with any assurance.

Finally, Lafferty is a cheating c**t and has a profile that I do not believe we should bring to the club.

Edit: I've said it several times, the debate is completely academic, he will be with Killie next season.

Edited by Ric

Just read the SMISA email about board representation. They go from 2 to 4 in the summer, but have decided to give those two extra spots to Scott and Wardrop who were due to exit.

Shouldn’t that have went to a vote? I get the whole continuity argument, but given we’ve been working towards a handover date surely that should have been taken into consideration. 

18 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Just read the SMISA email about board representation. They go from 2 to 4 in the summer, but have decided to give those two extra spots to Scott and Wardrop who were due to exit.

Shouldn’t that have went to a vote? I get the whole continuity argument, but given we’ve been working towards a handover date surely that should have been taken into consideration. 

I would have agreed with that, although in all likelihood the vote would have probably went in favour of them staying on. I presume now as they are SMiSA representatives they will be subject to the 2(?) term maximum stay, or have I mad that up?

I may have missed it in the past few months what is the plan for the monthly subscriptions once takeover is complete? I know there were plans to introduce a £5 tier and enhance the 'benefits' of the other tiers, are these subscriptions to continue at current price for an infinite duration?

Edit: I must be talking pish, just for a change, about some maximum time SMiSA representatives can spend on the board.

Edited by buddie06smfc

6 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I would have agreed with that, although in all likelihood the vote would have probably went in favour of them staying on. I presume now as they are SMiSA representatives they will be subject to the 2(?) term maximum stay, or have I mad that up?

I may have missed it in the past few months what is the plan for the monthly subscriptions once takeover is complete? I know there were plans to introduce a £5 tier and enhance the 'benefits' of the other tiers, are these subscriptions to continue at current price for an infinite duration?

Season ticket renewal is normally out by now I'm sure this and SMISA update will be soon. As for Scott and Wardrop to carry on in the board I'm happy with that the club is moving in the right direction.  

Exciting times for the club. I hope most SMISA members do continue with their monthly subscriptions as this will only help the club grow and be more competitive on the park (indirectly).

I know Scott splits opinion, and whilst he’s made mistakes along the way he has undoubtedly progressed the club in the time he’s been here. Don’t know much about Alan Wardrop but seems to be highly respected so trust that these 2 continuing on the board is the correct decision.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Club needs stability in a period of change so happy with this. 

Yeah, same. Fully behind this, personally. We've seen over the last few years what a lack of continuity can do, whether it's players, managers, transfer strategies or the BOD. This added stability is exactly what we need.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, same. Fully behind this, personally. We've seen over the last few years what a lack of continuity can do, whether it's players, managers, transfer strategies or the BOD. This added stability is exactly what we need.

It’s not so much them remaining on the board and more a question of it going against what fan ownership is about, I guess. We vote for the other board members, do we not? 

Edited by aldo_j

I would rather see our team relegated than sign a player who sent unwanted dick pics to young women, just because he scores goals.
What the absolute f**k is wrong with some of our fans that they'd willingly overlook this?
I actually forgot about that.

Aye file him in the gtf bin.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would rather see our team relegated than sign a player who sent unwanted dick pics to young women, just because he scores goals.

What the absolute f**k is wrong with some of our fans that they'd willingly overlook this?

I was already in the 'no' camp and I wasn't aware of that.