The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

You really are obsessed with us Tam. What’s the back story? Did you get a knock back from a Paisley girl?
I've never heard of a Paisley girl dishing out a knock back [emoji102].

Dreading the battle of the Saints threads next season tbh [emoji38] already have the fear.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I've never heard of a Paisley girl dishing out a knock back emoji102.png.

Dreading the battle of the Saints threads next season tbh emoji38.png already have the fear.

I can't wait. We were pipped at the post (2 goals) for the top 6 by the greatest ever St Johnstone team this season. I'm pretty confident with the right signings, we'll be showing them up for what they really are.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I can't wait. We were pipped at the post (2 goals) for the top 6 by the greatest ever St Johnstone team this season. I'm pretty confident with the right signings, we'll be showing them up for what they really are.

I realise that's bait, but joking aside, I genuinely think they could be challenging Hibs for thirds next season.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I realise that's bait, but joking aside, I genuinely think they could be challenging Hibs for thirds next season.

Can't see tbh, especially with the extra European games they'll have to play.

I thought Motherwell would be challenging for 3rd this season,  so I could be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I thought Motherwell would be challenging for 3rd this season,  so I could be wrong. 

Fair, I forgot to factor in the Euro games. Far bigger clubs have been hilariously bad in the league when they've found themselves in Europe. I'm sure that happened to Everton.

11 hours ago, btb said:

He was a goal a game striker for Killie, if he could do the same for us I wouldn't mind if he put Boris Johnson over his knees and poured lumpy custard down his arse.

It's true he had a very purple spell under Killie, 9 goals in 11 games is indeed excellent form, it's absolutely a one off though and assuming that he's rock up to us and do the same is let's just say "overly optimistic". He might have scored 9 for Killie but he only scored 7 goals overall the 3 seasons before that.

It has a Dargo situation written all over it, imo, if Dargo was a divisive player who brings a shit ton of baggage.

10 hours ago, GAD said:

I keep forgetting that the only options are Lee Erwin or Kyle Lafferty.

This. Fucking this! People comparing Erwin to Lafferty as some sort of justification for singing. Ideally (imo) neither should be in the squad.

10 hours ago, BC17 said:

...and you clearly have not paid attention to his excellent scoring record at Killie.

We can hardly talk about cheating when one of our own much-lauded strikers was booked in a cup semi-final for... cheating.

My argument is that Lafferty is a better striker than anyone we currently have at the club or have had at the club for several years.

Who would you rather we signed that is of the same or better quality?

..and you clearly have not paid attention to his dismal scoring record in previous seasons.

4 for Rangers (18/19), 1 for Sarpsborg (19), 2 for Sunderland (20), 1 for Reggina (20/21)

As for cheating, I am sure you remember this

You argument is that Lafferty is a better striker than what we have, I would wager that isn't really the case as neither Brophy nor Dennis have had a decent run in the team, while Obika is no longer with us. You seem to be using Erwin as the lowest benchmark which is not an objective viewpoint.

As for the "if not him then who else" argument, am I Jim Goodwin? Do I have full exposure to all the players available to us? The old adage "Absence of proof is not proof of absence" is key here.

9 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He could be the difference between success and failure next season (whatever that entails).

The important thing there is you say the difference between success and failure, rather than just success, because I genuinely worry that Lafferty in our team would have such a negative aspect that he would relegate us.

All this, of course, is academic, he is not coming to us, thank fucking Christ.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's true he had a very purple spell under Killie, 9 goals in 11 games is indeed excellent form, it's absolutely a one off though and assuming that he's rock up to us and do the same is let's just say "overly optimistic". He might have scored 9 for Killie but he only scored 7 goals overall the 3 seasons before that.

It has a Dargo situation written all over it, imo, if Dargo was a divisive player who brings a shit ton of baggage.

IIRC Dargo's signing was greeted with unanimous approval within our support - unfortunately for us he suffered a pre-season injury from which he never really recovered but there was no baggage prior to this.

7 minutes ago, btb said:

IIRC Dargo's signing was greeted with unanimous approval within our support - unfortunately for us he suffered a pre-season injury from which he never really recovered but there was no baggage prior to this.

Indeed, which is the point I'm making. Dargo came with no baggage and  was scoring for fun at Inverness. Lafferty however, comes with a fucking U-Haul full of baggage and other than a very purple spell with Killie has struggled.

The important thing there is you say the difference between success and failure, rather than just success, because I genuinely worry that Lafferty in our team would have such a negative aspect that he would relegate us.

All this, of course, is academic, he is not coming to us, thank fucking Christ.

Hold on, so you're suggesting we shouldn't sign Lafferty because of his 'poor' record, while also saying we shouldn't judge Brophy or Dennis on their records before joining us?

FWIW both those players have marginally better goals per game records than Lafferty, but both at a significantly lower level.

Also, please specify this "baggage" he brings? A dive against Aberdeen years and years ago is all you've offered thus far.

Apart from the odd dive and being a bit of a shagger (off the park) I’m not sure what baggage he brings either.

Whilst admittedly I’m not his greatest fan, we can’t take moral High ground because of a few dives. Danny Mullen who was a fans favorite was known for a dive or two, and of course Goody didn’t always play by the rules either and was quite rightly so loved by our fans.

Having watched him fairly Regularly over the last few Months he would undoubtedly improve our attacking options. Whether there are better options out there that are within our reach, I’m sure there is and that is up to JG to identify them.

1 hour ago, Munoz said:

They'll be bounced out by some Welsh non-League mob in July. Don't think they'll be top 3 regardless.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

They'll be bounced out by some Welsh non-League mob in July. Don't think they'll be top 3 regardless.

Our first batch of opponents seemingly includes Galatasaray and PSV. If/when we lose those games, we drop into the Conference League, where we'd seemingly face sides like Tottenham, Roma or Villareal.

I'd be amazed if our European games last beyond 4 matches.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our first batch of opponents seemingly includes Galatasaray and PSV. If/when we lose those games, we drop into the Conference League, where we'd seemingly face sides like Tottenham, Roma or Villareal.

I'd be amazed if our European games last beyond 4 matches.

Isn't it a group format? I thought you were in it until December either way.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Isn't it a group format? I thought you were in it until December either way.

Na, UEFA have changed it. We are now getting pumped from top class opposition rather than top class fishermen. 

Edited by tree house tam

38 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Hold on, so you're suggesting we shouldn't sign Lafferty because of his 'poor' record, while also saying we shouldn't judge Brophy or Dennis on their records before joining us?

No, that isn't the point I'm making.

As for the baggage, aside from his constant cheating on the field, there is the case of him sending unwanted penis pics to young women and him being guilty of placing bets.

Still, as I said, thankfully he isn't coming to us.