The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It would be interesting to know Goodwin's real thoughts on Lafferty and if he'd want him in the Squad.

We've all seen JG as a leader and a captain on the field.  Assuming he's not changed too much as a manager, i think he'd be able to handle the difficult side of Lafferty.  If he wanted him...  

Thing with Lafferty is he seems hard work, and also seems to chuck it if he's not starting every single game.

Is it worth bringing him in on a hefty wage if he's going to take huge amounts of individual attention + carries a risk of walking away halfway through the season?

It was all or nothing for Killie, but feel like St Mirren could be smarter.

What we - and many clubs like us - are looking for this summer is a proven goal scorer at this level. They’re hard to find.
Lafferty is a proven goal scorer at this level and presumably within our budget.
Therefore, we should offer him a one year deal. I don’t expect he will sign it incidentally, I think he will get bigger offers elsewhere, but there is no harm in asking. Goody has already said he looked at him before he signed for Killie so I assume he will still be interested now.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thing with Lafferty is he seems hard work, and also seems to chuck it if he's not starting every single game.

Is it worth bringing him in on a hefty wage if he's going to take huge amounts of individual attention + carries a risk of walking away halfway through the season?

Decent striker but I’m not sure the club would want the sizeable baggage he brings with him. He looked totally uninterested first half of last nights game. That’s not the type of character Goodwin likes. 

I would expect Hearts to be back in for him and a few other clubs with bigger budgets tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is what I think as well. If we do sign him I can see him being absolutely shite, doing f**k all and fans hating him before he gets paid off and becomes the latest OF reject slagging us off in the Daily Record on a bi-monthly basis.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

This is what I think as well. If we do sign him I can see him being absolutely shite, doing f**k all and fans hating him before he gets paid off and becomes the latest OF reject slagging us off in the Daily Record on a bi-monthly basis.

He’ll probably sign for Livingston and shoot them to another top six finish. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57247212

If things are tru to form, there's a 50/50 chance that he'll be with us in the future.  Hope no...  

Nah, Peter Grant signified a shift in Alloa's recruitment policy. To stop us pinching their managera they now only recruit duds.

Got to laugh at everyone willing to turn down Lafferty, a guy who scored more goals in half a season for a struggling team than Erwin has scored in any season in his career.

What "baggage" does he bring that would be so detrimental to the club, may I ask?

Notably he fronted up the Killie fans last night and apologised to them for getting relegated. Seems like a decent thing to do for someone who would apparently ruin the atmosphere of our dressing room.

7 hours ago, BC17 said:

Got to laugh at everyone willing to turn down Lafferty, a guy who scored more goals in half a season for a struggling team than Erwin has scored in any season in his career.

What "baggage" does he bring that would be so detrimental to the club, may I ask?

Notably he fronted up the Killie fans last night and apologised to them for getting relegated. Seems like a decent thing to do for someone who would apparently ruin the atmosphere of our dressing room.

Right so your argument is that we should take Lafferty because..

1) He has scored more goals than Erwin.
2) You have not paid attention to the scandals and cheating.
3) While paid a good sum to do a job, he said he was sorry for doing a bad job.

Those are hardly ringing endorsements.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

He was a goal a game striker for Killie, if he could do the same for us I wouldn't mind if he put Boris Johnson over his knees and poured lumpy custard down his arse.

Edited by btb

30 minutes ago, Ric said:

I keep forgetting that the only options are Lee Erwin or Kyle Lafferty.

...and you clearly have not paid attention to his excellent scoring record at Killie.

We can hardly talk about cheating when one of our own much-lauded strikers was booked in a cup semi-final for... cheating.

My argument is that Lafferty is a better striker than anyone we currently have at the club or have had at the club for several years.

Who would you rather we signed that is of the same or better quality?

1 hour ago, btb said:

He was a goal a game striker for Killie, if he could do the same for us I wouldn't mind if he put Boris Johnson over his knees and poured lumpy custard down his arse.

To be fair I’d guess Boris and his mistress have already indulged themselves in this type of shenanigans, I’m not sure about Kyle Lafferty. 

Look at the cup semi final against StJ, does Lafferty miss that Erwin chance? I think he scores that.

He could be the difference between success and failure next season (whatever that entails).

Don't get me wrong he is the definition of your average Rangers fan, so so angry and the p***ks p***k so it would be hard to support him in the stripes. If he isn't playing for us he'll be playing against us though, unless he goes down South.

Unlike Stokes, Lafferty still has something to offer at this level.

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Look at the cup semi final against StJ, does Lafferty miss that Erwin chance? I think he scores that.

He could be the difference between success and failure next season (whatever that entails).

Don't get me wrong he is the definition of your average Rangers fan, so so angry and the p***ks p***k so it would be hard to support him in the stripes. If he isn't playing for us he'll be playing against us though, unless he goes down South.

Unlike Stokes, Lafferty still has something to offer at this level.

If if if, should've could've would've.  Zander would've saved it anyway.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

Don't get me wrong he is the definition of your average Rangers fan, so so angry and the p***ks p***k so it would be hard to support him in the stripes. 

I'm always a fan of there being a pantomime villain knocking about the league as well, so there is that.

As you say, though, I think we can all see how this is going to pan out. We make a public attempt to sign him, and Jim says he's confident in the press. Instead he opts for Tynecastle. Fans back in the ground, at home to Hearts on the opening day, Lafferty gets dogs abuse for 90 minutes before scoring a stoppage time winner and celebrates in front of W7.

Classic St Mirren, that.

57 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm always a fan of there being a pantomime villain knocking about the league as well, so there is that.

As you say, though, I think we can all see how this is going to pan out. We make a public attempt to sign him, and Jim says he's confident in the press. Instead he opts for Tynecastle. Fans back in the ground, at home to Hearts on the opening day, Lafferty gets dogs abuse for 90 minutes before scoring a stoppage time winner and celebrates in front of W7.

Classic St Mirren, that.

That is way too accurate lol