The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, Widge said:

This is exactly it. Whilst Davidson and Wright have clearly helped Ali McCann develop tactically as a player, he was already someone with fantastic ability and work ethic. If one of Erathon's issues is a lack of tracking men and an ill discipline, these are bigger issues to fix than simply having the manager having a word. Even from a young age, players, especially midfielders are taught to go with the man and match them when they try and run past you. It suggests that he's either not got the work ethic or the desire to push himself at all times. That's not to say that he can't improve in the future as he's clearly talented, but it does surprise me that with Goodwin as manager, both him and McPherson aren't improving that side of their game, or at the very least having it demanded of them.

I think one of the slight issues St Mirren have this season is a lack of central leadership (in the Goodwin/Foley mould). You're midfield is young compared to a lot of teams and with Shaughnessy as captain, he's never been the most vocal or leaders. Tait is probably your strongest voice, but even then he's out wide and struggles to drag a team forward. Just opinion of course, but to me not replacing Foley when he got injured/left has been an issue. If you had say a Liam Craig, Jackson Irvine, Alan Power type player you'd probably have been top 6 and probably beaten us in the semi final. 

I think a solid leader in the centre of the park would help Ethan out- he sort of needs a bit of coaching though the game and as others have said that area seems bypassed at the moment. 

I'm not a huge fan of the 3-5-2 we play, don't think it plays to our strengths and can leave the middle of the park a bit all over the place as the wide players get dragged too deep. 

Might be interested to know Paisley will have another senior club for the first time since Abercorn in 1920 as Glenvale have been accepted to the WOSL.

St Peter’s too assuming they can both meet the criteria by end of next season

9 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Compare Ethan with McCann at us, Ali has just turned 21 has been first on the team sheet for a few years now and is a full international. I'd say there's a  fair bit for the young lad to go before he gets quoted alongside the best young players in the league. That's not to say he isn't good, he's okay but needs to really improve a fair bit about his game, is Goodwin the man to help do this? I have my doubts.

Sorry Tam but until I see it explained in a bar chart by a random type of guy then I’m not sure what you mean 😕

Oh la la McPherson goal then that pass to Connolly leading to the third goal utter class. To think there are fans who want to see him move on. Ethon also these are young lads who have the best yet to come. Personally I think they have a big future in the game. 

18 hours ago, Torfason said:

Sorry Tam but until I see it explained in a bar chart by a random type of guy then I’m not sure what you mean 😕

FWIW it rates Erhahon as a below average CM with lots of potential, which feels right.

I'd like Jim to get to the bottom of why we currently cannot defend crosses or set pieces. We used to be fine at defending both, this is a relatively new thing and it needs sorted for next season. It can't all be Ethan Erhahon's fault.

56 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Oh la la McPherson goal then that pass to Connolly leading to the third goal utter class. To think there are fans who want to see him move on. Ethon also these are young lads who have the best yet to come. Personally I think they have a big future in the game. 

MacPherson (contracted to 2022) has an important season coming up at 22 he is no longer, in footballing terms, a youngster, Erhahon has just turned 20 so has a coupla seasons where I'm sure he will improve before we have to make a similar decision.

33 minutes ago, btb said:

MacPherson (contracted to 2022) has an important season coming up at 22 he is no longer, in footballing terms, a youngster, Erhahon has just turned 20 so has a coupla seasons where I'm sure he will improve before we have to make a similar decision.

I really don't get McPherson's criticism I think he is a cracking player. But hey hoo we all have diffrent views. 

On 12/05/2021 at 15:22, geo87 said:

St Peter’s too assuming they can both meet the criteria by end of next season

Played for St Peters in my youth. Always a well run club through all the age groups. Played against Glenvale numerous times over the years too, good to see them moving into the senior ranks. 

On the subject of Erhahon, I don’t think he has performed any where near his best this season but it has been a difficult time for football, and especially St. Mirren who had a very stop start season at the height of Covid. He’s still a young guy and has also had the experience of being down at Barnsley for a year. That’s not to give him an excuse for his poor performances though as I do think he should be playing better, and as others have said it is slightly worrying that a guy like Jim Goodwins coaching doesn’t seem to be having an effect on his game. 

From my untrained eye he seems far too eager to jump into tackles, when staying on his feet and being better positioned would help as he can feel like a red card waiting to happen some games. He also lacks a bit of composure to be able to hold on to the ball whilst under pressure and play a forward pass; as someone mentioned earlier on you lose count of how many times he aimlessly headers the ball 20 yards forward to an opposition player, the majority when he actually has the time to bring it down and start an attack for us. There’s much more he has to work on but for a guy that has came through our own youth system, and also shown glimpses of what type of player he can be, I’m more than happy to give him the chance to improve with us. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 hours ago, Torfason said:

I wouldn’t mind Ross Callachan if he is available now Accies have been relegated.

I am possibly getting him confused with another Accies player, but is he not another in the ‘red card waiting to happen’ category? To be brutally honest though, signing players who have featured regularly in a team that has just been relegated isn’t usually a great idea. It can work in certain circumstances but I would hope Goodwin and Saints are looking at players of a slightly higher calibre than Accies midfield. 

Callachan is the same as Odoffin, an average player made to look good in a below average side, as they get to play in a simple one dimensional manner.

Beware.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

You say this but just wait till you see him play every week...

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I am possibly getting him confused with another Accies player, but is he not another in the ‘red card waiting to happen’ category? To be brutally honest though, signing players who have featured regularly in a team that has just been relegated isn’t usually a great idea. It can work in certain circumstances but I would hope Goodwin and Saints are looking at players of a slightly higher calibre than Accies midfield. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callachan is the same as Odoffin, an average player made to look good in a below average side, as they get to play in a simple one dimensional manner.

Beware.

I was looking at him as someone who has scored 9 goals and doesn’t mind putting the boot in but given the comments especially from Saints fans who have seen a lot more of him, then maybe not 👍🏻

32 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I was looking at him as someone who has scored 9 goals and doesn’t mind putting the boot in but given the comments especially from Saints fans who have seen a lot more of him, then maybe not 👍🏻

He's under contract for another year, according to posts on the Accies thread.

I think we should steer well clear of any of their players.

Going back a bit but Callachan seems to have played the Ricky Gillies 2001 role for Accies this season. A very average lower premiership player who looked outstanding because he was playing around players who were at best, championship standard. 

Gillies didn't get his move up again following our relegation that year for a reason and Callachan is in the same category. I'd hope if we were looking at moving up the league we'd be looking at better players than guys like Odoffin, Callachan and Bruce Anderson. 

Our season would have panned out very differently if we had managed to get Alex Gogic. He is exactly the sort of player we needed this season (albeit we didn't expect quite the level of need, given the drop off in Foley) and the sort we need to be finding this coming preseason. 

Edited by djchapsticks