The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Genuine question... why not?

Why shouldn't he? These 4 simple facts...

1) He's a cünt

2) Added to him being a cünt

3) Don't forget he's also a cünt

..and finally..

4) Not forgetting he's a cünt.

That aside, he's not qualified, is a loud mouth boorish fucknugget and ego tripper who would make everything about him while firing off piece after piece to journos with headlines like "St Mirren coach Sutton says that due to the pandemic Celtic were cheated out of ten in a row"

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

Why shouldn't he? These 4 simple facts...

1) He's a cünt

2) Added to him being a cünt

3) Don't forget he's also a cünt

..and finally..

4) Not forgetting he's a cünt.

That aside, he's not qualified, is a loud mouth boorish fucknugget and ego tripper who would make everything about him while firing off piece after piece to journos with headlines like "St Mirren coach Sutton says that due to the pandemic Celtic were cheated out of ten in a row"

I'll put you down as a maybe.

Jury is firmly out for me as regards to Erhahon, I don’t see what other fans see in him but each to their own. We need an experienced midfielder like a Sam Foley before his legs eventually went, to stop teams playing through us. If McGrath stays another year then he’s definitely the number ten for next season. Durmus will be a huge loss if he does leave and very difficult to replace for me. 

Incomings and outgoings will be interesting this summer. 

17 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Jury is firmly out for me as regards to Erhahon, I don’t see what other fans see in him but each to their own. We need an experienced midfielder like a Sam Foley before his legs eventually went, to stop teams playing through us. If McGrath stays another year then he’s definitely the number ten for next season. Durmus will be a huge loss if he does leave and very difficult to replace for me. 

Incomings and outgoings will be interesting this summer. 

I'll say this much (repeating myself, possibly), but if we can't find bespoke/dedicated wing-backs then the 3-5-2 has got to get in the sea. As much as Durmus will be a massive loss to the squad - he has made far more of an impact than I think any of us could have hoped for when we signed him - we have mis-used him ever since he came back into the squad. Durmus the winger, we'll miss. Durmus the wing-back... I don't blame him for leaving and we need someone more suited to the role.

I personally feel like we've potentially won a gold watch with Henderson's emergence - let's hope we're actually playing a system that suits him.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Durmus would be a huge loss, I'd hope we'd be chucking everything at him to get him to stay. Compared to McAllister and Connolly who have been really disappointing. You don't often find good wingers like him for clubs our size. 

On the Erahon topic, clearly a good player and obviously still very young, hopefully be a saints player for years to come. However, have seen lots of people mention it now, he looks lazy. There's so many times during a game where ethan is jogging back no effort to tackle or track the runners. Letting the game pass him by and giving opposition players free reign. Which is strange as he's great at breaking up play. Needs to change that big time. 

43 minutes ago, smfc2013 said:

Durmus would be a huge loss, I'd hope we'd be chucking everything at him to get him to stay. Compared to McAllister and Connolly who have been really disappointing. You don't often find good wingers like him for clubs our size. 

On the Erahon topic, clearly a good player and obviously still very young, hopefully be a saints player for years to come. However, have seen lots of people mention it now, he looks lazy. There's so many times during a game where ethan is jogging back no effort to tackle or track the runners. Letting the game pass him by and giving opposition players free reign. Which is strange as he's great at breaking up play. Needs to change that big time. 

Yeah, you have to earn the right to trot about like Yaya Toure...

I’ve slated Erwin in most games, possession breaks down with him constantly but there have been glimmers of a decent player, and I actually thought he played fairly well yesterday. He’s contracted for another season if someone else doesn’t come in for him then we might just have no other choice but to get behind him and hope he comes good. 

The guy has appeared for us 33 times this season, either starting or from the bench, scoring once every 11 games on average. How much more opportunity does he need to "come good"?

15 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Agree that’s a poor record and if someone else comes in for him or he wants to go somewhere else then fine, but as we gave him a contract for another year we have to look after him while he is with us. He has been looking better in games of late, not hard perhaps but he took his goal well against Kilmarnock and didn’t give away possession on Sunday with some nice touches and was close to scoring. 

The guy has appeared for us 33 times this season, either starting or from the bench, scoring once every 11 games on average. How much more opportunity does he need to "come good"?

15 minutes ago, BC17 said:

20 hours ago, smfc2013 said:

Ethan has talent however he has not improved as the season has gone on. If anything he is poorer now than the start of the season. Ethan is now 20 so not a boy. Compare him to Josh Doig who at 18 has improved as the season has gone on and won the FWYPY.

Ethan has 4 major weaknesses in his game of which at least three could be sorted by coaching. He doesn't track runners (which does my head in) and his tackling is woeful. Is he being coached on these issues as he could improve on both of these fronts, or is he ignoring the coaching in which case why does he always get a game? And he is unbelievably one footed and only uses his right foot for standing on.

His fourth weakness is he waits for things to happen instead of making things happen. He appears lackadaisical as if it is a kick about with his mates. Then, as on Sunday, he seems to get a bollocking at half time and comes out with a better focus for the second half. And his idea of getting more involved is to boot someone on the half way line in a needless foul and getting a booking. Ethan has been booked 8 times this season and I do not remember any of them being a necessary tackle.

Ethan has a great left foot and can see a pass as long as he cuts out his world cup ones. IMHO he requires some serious coaching and an experienced midfielder alongside him would help no end. Now is the time to deal with those areas as at 20 he should be working harder on those points. I could see him turning into a great player but for now his progress has stopped.

14 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Ethan has talent however he has not improved as the season has gone on. If anything he is poorer now than the start of the season. Ethan is now 20 so not a boy. Compare him to Josh Doig who at 18 has improved as the season has gone on and won the FWYPY.

Ethan has 4 major weaknesses in his game of which at least three could be sorted by coaching. He doesn't track runners (which does my head in) and his tackling is woeful. Is he being coached on these issues as he could improve on both of these fronts, or is he ignoring the coaching in which case why does he always get a game? And he is unbelievably one footed and only uses his right foot for standing on.

His fourth weakness is he waits for things to happen instead of making things happen. He appears lackadaisical as if it is a kick about with his mates. Then, as on Sunday, he seems to get a bollocking at half time and comes out with a better focus for the second half. And his idea of getting more involved is to boot someone on the half way line in a needless foul and getting a booking. Ethan has been booked 8 times this season and I do not remember any of them being a necessary tackle.

Ethan has a great left foot and can see a pass as long as he cuts out his world cup ones. IMHO he requires some serious coaching and an experienced midfielder alongside him would help no end. Now is the time to deal with those areas as at 20 he should be working harder on those points. I could see him turning into a great player but for now his progress has stopped.

Without wishing to join a pile-on (I took your post as largely constructive, tbh) point 5 on the list would be his aimless headers forward. He concedes possession a LOT by just heading it forward 15 yards regardless of who's there. Given how considered some of his play can be when he's got the ball at his feet, it always surprises me. I'#m happy to chalk that up to inexperience because he can use the ball so well when he calms down a bit.

As you said, he has time to become a great player and I very much hope he does. But he won't be getting a big move this summer if scouts have been watching for the past six months.

(Something that does give me the fear a bit is a comment that was made around the time we sold one of Mallan or McAllister. It was suggested that clubs in England are wary of buying Scottish players after they reach a certain age as the standard of coaching isn't high enough up here and they often develop bad habits. Is it a coincidence that Erhahon came back from six months with Barnsley looking amazing - a real surprise package - and then deteriorated as the season went on? Just a thought.)

Fair constructive criticism [emoji106].

Although the yellow card against Rangers in the cup was necessary, we showed them way too much respect, once he flattened one of them it seemed to kick start us onto our famous come back.

Compare Ethan with McCann at us, Ali has just turned 21 has been first on the team sheet for a few years now and is a full international. I'd say there's a  fair bit for the young lad to go before he gets quoted alongside the best young players in the league. That's not to say he isn't good, he's okay but needs to really improve a fair bit about his game, is Goodwin the man to help do this? I have my doubts.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Compare Ethan with McCann at us, Ali has just turned 21 has been first on the team sheet for a few years now and is a full international. I'd say there's a  fair bit for the young lad to go before he gets quoted alongside the best young players in the league. That's not to say he isn't good, he's okay but needs to really improve a fair bit about his game, is Goodwin the man to help do this? I have my doubts.

I have issue with your first word there, mainly because, in truth, there's no real comparison at the moment. TBF McCann's probably an 'upper level' benchmark for what a player should be looking like at that age and at this level, at clubs of our approx size.

You'd hope that, of all positions, DM would be the one that Jim could definitely coach. You've set me off trying to think of players that have improved under his tenure... McGrath and McCarthy, certainly. Though Shaunghnessy is clearly helping McCarthy a lot.

Food for thought.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I have issue with your first word there, mainly because, in truth, there's no real comparison at the moment. TBF McCann's probably an 'upper level' benchmark for what a player should be looking like at that age and at this level, at clubs of our approx size.

You'd hope that, of all positions, DM would be the one that Jim could definitely coach. You've set me off trying to think of players that have improved under his tenure... McGrath and McCarthy, certainly. Though Shaunghnessy is clearly helping McCarthy a lot.

Food for thought.

This is exactly it. Whilst Davidson and Wright have clearly helped Ali McCann develop tactically as a player, he was already someone with fantastic ability and work ethic. If one of Erathon's issues is a lack of tracking men and an ill discipline, these are bigger issues to fix than simply having the manager having a word. Even from a young age, players, especially midfielders are taught to go with the man and match them when they try and run past you. It suggests that he's either not got the work ethic or the desire to push himself at all times. That's not to say that he can't improve in the future as he's clearly talented, but it does surprise me that with Goodwin as manager, both him and McPherson aren't improving that side of their game, or at the very least having it demanded of them.

I think one of the slight issues St Mirren have this season is a lack of central leadership (in the Goodwin/Foley mould). You're midfield is young compared to a lot of teams and with Shaughnessy as captain, he's never been the most vocal or leaders. Tait is probably your strongest voice, but even then he's out wide and struggles to drag a team forward. Just opinion of course, but to me not replacing Foley when he got injured/left has been an issue. If you had say a Liam Craig, Jackson Irvine, Alan Power type player you'd probably have been top 6 and probably beaten us in the semi final. 

50 minutes ago, Widge said:

Tait is probably your strongest voice, but even then he's out wide and struggles to drag a team forward. Just opinion of course, but to me not replacing Foley when he got injured/left has been an issue. If you had say a Liam Craig, Jackson Irvine, Alan Power type player you'd probably have been top 6 and probably beaten us in the semi final. 

This, 100%. Not presuming we'd have beaten you but that's definitely been our issue this season. I said much the same after our semi-final against Livingston. Marvin Bartley was MOM for me that day and we simply had nobody doing the same job as him. We've ended up in a situation where JDH is the more experienced of our midfielders; he's 22.

A 27/28-year old CM with prior experience at this level or no lower than upper level L1 in England has to be absolutely top of our recruitment list for this summer, without a doubt. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Oaft.

Edinburgh has still got those all night drinking establishments then.

Tam, we both know that a Liam Craig team would not have conceded a last minute goal to Hamilton. We also know that there's little chance St Mirren's defence would have been so exposed on Sunday if there was a disciplined player sitting in front of the back 4 at that point. OK to say they'd have won the game is maybe a little presumptuous, but it's pretty clear to me where St Mirren need to improve for next season to actually challenge the better teams consistently.  

4 hours ago, Widge said:

I think one of the slight issues St Mirren have this season is a lack of central leadership (in the Goodwin/Foley mould). You're midfield is young compared to a lot of teams and with Shaughnessy as captain, he's never been the most vocal or leaders. 

It should be noted that we lost our captain (Magennis-Hibs) and vice captain (Foley-Well) during the season. To lose two experienced players and still manage to reach two semis and within a baw hair of top six despite all the Covid issues and long term injuries. It says a lot about the character within that squad. We must have one of the youngest squads in the league with the number of academy graduates acoming through and getting game time. It just wasn’t to be this season. Hopefully we can come back stronger next year with some quality recruitment in key areas.

Good luck in the final against Hibs who have loads of ex Buddies in their squad and first team staff.

Hell they even nicked our kit man mid season.

Might be interested to know Paisley will have another senior club for the first time since Abercorn in 1920 as Glenvale have been accepted to the WOSL.

Edited by GNU_Linux