The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Classic dilemma for clubs like us. Fairly obvious McGrath won’t be signing a new deal, he’s had an unsigned one on the table for a while now. Rightly so, if I was his agent I’d advise him not to sign it, because a club who can afford to pay him far more than we can will surely offer him a deal. If for whatever reason that doesn’t happen he can always sign it later on. He certainly doesn’t owe us anything.
Therefore, he almost certainly either leaves for a decent fee this summer, a reduced fee in January or next summer for nothing.
If it is next summer for nothing he’s in PCA territory in January and having a player who’s already signed for someone else in your team for half a season is never ideal. Unless you’re Kirk Broadfoot circa 2007.
We’re not in any kind of financial stress so wouldn’t be overly surprised if we held onto him for another 12 months. However, I think we would accept any bids in the 500k region. Would anyone be willing to pay that? Will soon find out.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Written Shirley? 

Aye, that too.

For what little its worth, I get McGrath as the most similar player to Wotherspoon in the league, in terms of how he plays + how he performs.

Thats a huge compliment before anyone gets uppity. All that held Wotherspoon back from bigger things than us was self belief I think.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've spoken thousands of words on this forum m8, i doubt if it's only the last few that's confirmed I'm a w****r.

Aye. You're not wrong there. :lol:

Was pissed off at something else when I read your post. Must have projected that onto my post. It won't happen again.:whistle

£2 - £3 million is ridiculous, but that's not what my post was about.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

£2 - £3 million is ridiculous, but that's not what my post was about.

Its all mine was about. £2m-£3m, outwith the OF, in Scottish football is for an elite talent. Your Turnbull/McGinns, who have broken through as teenagers/early 20s and have clear ability beyond this league. I was merely pointing out thats not a profile McGrath fits.

FWIW his underlying figures are good across the board. Only Wotherspoon has a higher xA per 90 (how good the chances they create are, better than assists which can be affected by shite strikers) in the league outside the OF, and only Wotherspoon/Polworth create more shooting opportunities outwith the OF aswell.

7 hours ago, Munoz said:

Me and my friend still talk about the game McGinn played against Celtic in the League Cup Semi in 2013, and that article makes sense with regards to his performance that day. The amount of times he was under pressure from Celtic midfielders, hunched over whilst shielding the ball from all angles, and then all of a sudden he does a wee turn and pops out the other side with the ball still in his possession. That was Wanyama and Brown he was up against that day, when he was still a teenager too. He still does that same manoeuvre to this day for Villa, three or four times a game you think he’s lost control of the ball and he’s going to get dispossessed, before he sticks that big arse out and Cruyff turns into space. 

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its all mine was about. £2m-£3m, outwith the OF, in Scottish football is for an elite talent. Your Turnbull/McGinns, who have broken through as teenagers/early 20s and have clear ability beyond this league. I was merely pointing out thats not a profile McGrath fits.

FWIW his underlying figures are good across the board. Only Wotherspoon has a higher xA per 90 (how good the chances they create are, better than assists which can be affected by shite strikers) in the league outside the OF, and only Wotherspoon/Polworth create more shooting opportunities outwith the OF aswell.

Fairly damning indictment of the strikers we've been running with for most the season, not that any of us needed much convincing on that front.

Dennis gets a pass; the others have largely struggled.

My opinion on McGrath, for what it’s worth, is that he’s a player that performs in a way that makes him look as if he’s about to do something of high quality, without usually ever doing it. That’s not to say he’s been playing badly at all, he’s a very good football player, but I feel like he hasn’t consistently performed to a standard that would have English Championship clubs interested. For the Scottish Premiership he is a brilliant player for St. Mirren to have, and I hope he does extend his contract and we get the chance to watch him improve, but talk of upwards of £1 million at this stage for him is fanciful to say the least. 

There has been times this season where he has managed to reach that level; the goal against Hamilton recently being the best example of that. He’s had more good games than bad and is a solid 6/10 most weeks, as well as being the most composed taker of a penalty kick that I’ve seen for a while. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a team like Aberdeen come in with a bid for him, but I would be surprised if it was anything over £500k. 

Jim's talking up his talent/value in the Record today. It now just looks like we're trying to sell him 😂

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-mcgrath-could-star-celtic-24009422

After Richard Tait was at it earlier in the week, is this the first ever example of a club trying to unsettle its own player in the build up to a major semi final?

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Jim's talking up his talent/value in the Record today. It now just looks like we're trying to sell him 😂

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-mcgrath-could-star-celtic-24009422

After Richard Tait was at it earlier in the week, is this the first ever example of a club trying to unsettle its own player in the build up to a major semi final?

😂

I was just having a wee look at the Falkirk thread there. That could so easily have been us. We've come a long way from 4 years ago, needing a miracle just to stay in the championship. Even managed to throw in the Stubbs debacle along the way and come out the other side.

Perhaps McGrath is one of those Goodwin was referring to when he said players have had their heads turned. Especially as STV reported we offered him a new deal some time ago. I fully expected McGrath to get a lot of attention this summer. He does seem very level-headed so we can only hope he maintains that until the season end at least to then decide on his best route - hopefully a new deal at Saints.

35 minutes ago, GAD said:

I was just having a wee look at the Falkirk thread there. That could so easily have been us. We've come a long way from 4 years ago, needing a miracle just to stay in the championship. Even managed to throw in the Stubbs debacle along the way and come out the other side.

Got to be honest, I'd paid zero attention to league one this season and hadn't realised until about two weeks ago that they weren't just skooshing it.

I have to say, I would absolutely watch a Falkirk/Morton playoff final. Though I suspect Morton will just about keep their heads above 11th.

McGrath is a class act and he's getting better and better. Sometimes it seems that a game can pass him by, I didn't feel he was great against Kilmarnock but he still got a goal and an assist. With the right move I think he'd continue to improve. The way the Ireland team are playing right now he must have his sights set on some caps. 

I wouldn't begrudge him a move at all. I reckon £500k would be fair, more likely to get less up front with some add ons right enough.

I'm not sure Aberdeen is the right move at the moment though. He'd make a few more quid but I'm not convinced they're a club on the up. As much as we have a pop at Jack Ross for pinching our best players, Hibs would be a better move for him. 

On 30/04/2021 at 09:01, Ric said:

Imagine genuinely taking the 2-3 million pound value seriously... 😆 ..then spending several posts gatekeeping and gaslighting in an attempt to debunk it.

I mean, St Mirren fans were seriously talking about making the top 6 earlier this season, so nothing they say can be discounted as a joke...

On 30/04/2021 at 10:25, Coventry Saint said:

I have to say, I would absolutely watch a Falkirk/Morton playoff final. Though I suspect Morton will just about keep their heads above 11th.

I think Morton are in the Play Offs now?

Championship season was only 27 games long this season.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, St Mirren fans were seriously talking about making the top 6 earlier this season, so nothing they say can be discounted as a joke...

He's played the old 'made myself look really stupid to make you look a little stupid, lol' card.