The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's a good signing for you then. Never going to be prolific but he's a worker. Billy Mehmet played a similar role for us albeit more of a target man, he'd link play up, bring midfielders into the game, provided fantastic foil for late Andy Dorman runs even though he himself was only good for 5-8 league goals a season. But when he was out the side and someone like Jim Hamilton or Dennis Wyness was on in his place, you fucking noticed the difference. 

This has been Kanes best season by far, and yeah you definitely see his value + notice when he's not there.

He's woeful in front of goal and it's genuinely infuriating. If we can play up the park instead of hoofing then he's comfortably 3rd choice.

Issue for us next season will be, if Kane extends, we'll have Hendry, May and Kane all contracted, so that's like 4 league goals from that bunch 😅

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This has been Kanes best season by far, and yeah you definitely see his value + notice when he's not there.

He's woeful in front of goal and it's genuinely infuriating. If we can play up the park instead of hoofing then he's comfortably 3rd choice.

Issue for us next season will be, if Kane extends, we'll have Hendry, May and Kane all contracted, so that's like 4 league goals from that bunch 😅

We have just the answer to your problem, Lee Erwin, he is a goal machine but think you guys would improve even further. 

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's a good signing for you then. Never going to be prolific but he's a worker. Billy Mehmet played a similar role for us albeit more of a target man, he'd link play up, bring midfielders into the game, provided fantastic foil for late Andy Dorman runs even though he himself was only good for 5-8 league goals a season.

But when he was out the side and someone like Jim Hamilton or Dennis Wyness was on in his place, you fucking noticed the difference. 

Misread this and thought Andy Dorman had died. Glad to see that he has, in fact, not.

As you were.

31 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

We have just the answer to your problem, Lee Erwin, he is a goal machine but think you guys would improve even further. 

He'd be an upgrade on Hendry this season 👀

Erwin.thumb.png.a518b668270eac6485459d8b05f87554.png

8 hours ago, G51 said:

It’s a legitimate criticism of McGrath that his numbers from open play aren’t very good. 

I think some of that can be mitigated by St Mirren being a particularly unadventurous side in the first half of the season though.

The lack of production probably stops him getting a move to a (smart) team in England. 

The fact we were ravaged by COVID issues may have accounted for that. 

I’d say we are probably the most adventurous team in the league given the number of Academy players we have played this season. McAllister, McPherson, Henderson, Erhahon, Reid. 

How many graduates can your Club with all its millions of money invested into your academy have provided as a pathway to the first team this season? 

6 hours ago, Yflab said:

I’d say we are probably the most adventurous team in the league given the number of Academy players we have played this season. McAllister, McPherson, Henderson, Erhahon, Reid. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That’s outstanding. Who are these players we should look out for in the semifinal? 

It’s great to see young talent getting a chance than some overpaid journeyman which inevitably leads to financial meltdown, administration and liquidation. Some classic examples of financial cheating down the years.

Livingston, Gretna, Motherwell, Dundee, Rangers-1872-2012-Rest-in-Piss.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Yflab said:

That’s outstanding. Who are these players we should look out for in the semifinal? 

Tbf most of them are about 30 now 😂

It’s great to see young talent getting a chance than some overpaid journeyman which inevitably leads to financial meltdown, administration and liquidation. Some classic examples of financial cheating down the years.
Livingston, Gretna, Motherwell, Dundee, Rangers-1872-2012-Rest-in-Piss.
Clark, Kerr, McCann, Kane and May.

McGrath offers so much more to a team than goals, so I'm unsure as to why people seem to be concentrating on the number of goals he's scored.

Also, a players assists rely on strikers actually being able to score from the passes made to them. Our forwards haven't exactly been prolific this season. 

When you actually have seen every minute that McGrath has played this season, you can see how good a player he is.

However, he's not the finished article. He needs to improve his shooting for a start. He's a very brave player and doesn't hide, and he's got bags of energy. His delivery from set pieces has been consistently good too. He also gets booted about the place by opposition carthorses and he just gets up and gets on with it.

If he were to go, it would probably be for a fee around £500K, with a decent sell on. It might rise if there's some competition for his signature.

His goal tally is just a headline number. If he was knocking them in from 25 yards every week we’d be looking at Ryan Gauld transfer fees, but he has not added that to his game. He has basically been an every present for us. Works hard for the team throughout the 90mins. I don’t even remember him being substituted. Great engine once he adjusted to the pace and physicality of the Scottish top league. 

My gut feeling is he will stay with us. His manager is Irish and I’m sure that was one of the reasons he signed for us. Jim is talking him up that he deserves a call up to the nation team. What have they got to lose? 

Many of his teammates are Irish. Many of his supporters drink the Guinness!

Once the pandemic is over he can easily catch a flight from Glasgow Airport to home. The grass is not always greener on the other side.  

Say “Oh ah Jamie McGrath say oh ah Jamie McGrath”

24 minutes ago, FTOF said:

McGrath offers so much more to a team than goals, so I'm unsure as to why people seem to be concentrating on the number of goals he's scored.

Also, a players assists rely on strikers actually being able to score from the passes made to them. Our forwards haven't exactly been prolific this season. 

When you actually have seen every minute that McGrath has played this season, you can see how good a player he is.

However, he's not the finished article. He needs to improve his shooting for a start. He's a very brave player and doesn't hide, and he's got bags of energy. His delivery from set pieces has been consistently good too. He also gets booted about the place by opposition carthorses and he just gets up and gets on with it.

If he were to go, it would probably be for a fee around £500K, with a decent sell on. It might rise if there's some competition for his signature.

A lot of words to agree with me that "£2m-£3m" is a laughable price tag, tbh.

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Wheras your few words confirm that you are indeed a total plum.

I've spoken thousands of words on this forum m8, i doubt if it's only the last few that's confirmed I'm a w****r.