The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's about to turn 25, is an attacking midfielder, and has 1 open play goal and 2 assists in the league this season...

It’s a legitimate criticism of McGrath that his numbers from open play aren’t very good. 

I think some of that can be mitigated by St Mirren being a particularly unadventurous side in the first half of the season though.

The lack of production probably stops him getting a move to a (smart) team in England. 

12 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Saints looking at making a move for St Johnstone winger Michael O'Halloran being reported in the press. 

Smart move by St Mirren. Stealing cast offs from the top 6 will help them close that gap and push themselves closer to achieving that goal.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Smart move by St Mirren. Stealing cast offs from the top 6 will help them close that gap and push themselves closer to achieving that goal.

Not sure he's got the two goals in him across the season that we'd need to bridge the chasm, sadly.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure he's got the two goals in him across the season that we'd need to bridge the chasm, sadly.

It's a mental thing, tbh.

Some clubs are strong, some are weak.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Mikey is great at running in straight lines, playing football? Not so much. He's also one of our highest earners with little in the way of contribution, he might just need a fresh start but it wouldn't be the worst signing St Mirren could make.

That surname of his is sufficient to qualify to play for us.

20 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

Add in all our cup games then.

I think he moves up to 4 open play goals and assists.

Truly earth shattering for a player about to turn 25.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he moves up to 4 open play goals and assists.

Truly earth shattering for a player about to turn 25.

I think he'd do better in a team with better attackers. Had the sense all season that something wasn't quite clicking. He's clearly a great player - brilliant on the ball, can beat a man, good in tight spaces, eye for a pass - but I don't think we've got the best out of him.

I think the goal he scored against Hamilton in the cup highlighted his potential to go further, not many players in this league have the intelligence and ability to score goals like that. No thanks to O’Hallaron rather keep Durmus, but would take Kane, if only to stop him scoring against us. 

Durmus > O'Halloran. 

If we can keep hold of Durmus I'd hope we'd be looking at someone of similar or higher quality. 

For that reason, I'm a pass on Mikey. At this point in proceedings, he'd be a Gregg Wylde type signing. Played for Rangers at one point, used to be decent but just runs fast and in straight lines now. 

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think he'd do better in a team with better attackers. Had the sense all season that something wasn't quite clicking. He's clearly a great player - brilliant on the ball, can beat a man, good in tight spaces, eye for a pass - but I don't think we've got the best out of him.

I've no doubt he's an above average Scottish league player and will aim higher than Aberdeen etc., but the "£3m" price tag is laughable and I'm just picking holes in it, tbh.

3 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

I think the goal he scored against Hamilton in the cup highlighted his potential to go further, not many players in this league have the intelligence and ability to score goals like that. No thanks to O’Hallaron rather keep Durmus, but would take Kane, if only to stop him scoring against us. 

Kane is one of those players who folk will get on his back for not scoring loads of goals but when he's not playing, your forward line is worse off for it. 

Is he out of contract? I've always liked him. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Kane is one of those players who folk will get on his back for not scoring loads of goals but when he's not playing, your forward line is worse off for it. 

Is he out of contract? I've always liked him. 

Our manager was quoted saying he's "close" to signing a new deal with us last week.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our manager was quoted saying he's "close" to signing a new deal with us last week.

He's a good signing for you then. Never going to be prolific but he's a worker. Billy Mehmet played a similar role for us albeit more of a target man, he'd link play up, bring midfielders into the game, provided fantastic foil for late Andy Dorman runs even though he himself was only good for 5-8 league goals a season.

But when he was out the side and someone like Jim Hamilton or Dennis Wyness was on in his place, you fucking noticed the difference. 

Edited by djchapsticks