The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Burghbud said:

September was the month that killed us, rather than February. 6 losses in a row, including Hibs, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock

You only lost 4 in a row in September, iirc?

The biggest loss was to the swashbuckling, Europe bound, 3rd placed Hibs.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

This is the way I see it panning out.

He speaks very well and seems like he cares but is very tactically nieve and seems to believe Fitzpatrick's fantasies. 

I love Tony to bits, but this did make me genuinely laugh out loud. It's about the only bit of pleasure I have had this weekend, even the takeaway I bought with some of the compo was unappealing, as I felt guilty eating it. :(  I knew it...as someone else said, it's the hope that kills you. Elvis has got the right idea!

Just pondering after watching the highlights again, so this isn’t me levelling criticism in any way.

We’ve lost quite a few goals either to set pieces or late on (probably more so set pieces). Is that something that Alnwick should work on? Jim said post match that only two should have been in the wall, but we went with 3 leaving a spare man.

Kinda reminds me of the Paul Gallacher era when we lost a lot of late goals. He wasn’t the best at owning the 18 yard box at set pieces.

It's an utter kick in the stones and was so predictable especially as we failed to kill Hamilton off. As soon as St Johnstone scored you could feel it coming. Fair play to them, 2 defeats in 15 is some run and a cup too. 

People and indeed the media had us in the top 6 before it was done, and the run of games in February killed us. Even Tony Fitzpatrick wound back on some of sportsounds chat. 

I think I said a few posts back in the relegation thread that this is what I could see happening especially with the results St Johnstone were getting with Hibs and late goals. I fully anticipate us finishing 9th now. It's still a far better season than usual but we have failed miserably to hit the teams potential. 

If you had offered me 7th or 8th at the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off. So we never made top 6 its not the end of the world. In a season where we cant get into games i am happy where we are at. We regroup and go again next season still in the SPL. We have exciting young players coming through and I see good times ahead. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

So, shame we missed out on that 6th place. Still, quite a few positives to take. We're nowhere near the relegation scrap, which is always nice, Goodwin's managed to put together a decent team, with the core of it signed up for next season with this seasons' experience hopefully spurring them on to go one better. I genuinely think the Covid forfeitures then postponements then 9 games in about 3 weeks did for us, and I'd hope that a season without such nonsense might see us be a lot more consistent.

Leaving the mirth at the manner of your bottom six fate to one side to a moment - while some of what you state is no doubt true, next season's top flight will also have both i) a Hearts side that have chucked huge amounts at getting out of an easy Championship, with the clear purpose of hitting the ground running in the top flight again and ii) a Dundee United team that are likely to strengthen after establishing themselves at the top level this season. Kilmarnock have had a nightmare campaign until they appointed arguably the best provincial club manager in the country, and Motherwell are also likely to be somewhat less of a nick after clearing out their squad over the summer.

Put simply then, I'd suggest that this season was actually the best realistic set of conditions for Tony Fitzpatrick's top six dream to come true, and that it'll be much tougher for Saint Mirren, as well as Livingston and to a lesser extent Saint Johnstone, to replicate your league performance next season. Even if you progress in absolute terms, the relative placing of your squad in the league as a whole is likely to go somewhat backwards. That's the iron logic of professional football. 

Edited by vikingTON

I'm glad everyone's forgotten about this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36559890

To be fair, I thought Tony was talking more pish about a top-six finish, and yet it was ours...we blew it, literally in the last minure, which meant losing out on goal difference. It wasn't just me who thought Tony was being ridiculous, either. I think he's right to be optimistic about our future, regardless of where we now finish this season. The wee guy, Dylan Reid, has just signed a new contract and hopefully we can get JDH to stay, too. 

The future's bright...it's black and white!

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Leaving the mirth at the manner of your bottom six fate to one side to a moment - while some of what you state is no doubt true, next season's top flight will also have both i) a Hearts side that have chucked huge amounts at getting out of an easy Championship, with the clear purpose of hitting the ground running in the top flight again and ii) a Dundee United team that are likely to strengthen after establishing themselves at the top level this season. Kilmarnock have had a nightmare campaign until they appointed arguably the best provincial club manager in the country, and Motherwell are also likely to be somewhat less of a nick after clearing out their squad over the summer.

Put simply then, I'd suggest that this season was actually the best realistic set of conditions for Tony Fitzpatrick's top six dream to come true, and that it'll be much tougher for Saint Mirren, as well as Livingston and to a lesser extent Saint Johnstone, to replicate your league performance next season. Even if you progress in absolute terms, the relative placing of your squad in the league as a whole is likely to go somewhat backwards. That's the iron logic of professional football. 

It’s over, we’ve moved on, we’re playing other teams now, you’ve got to let it go.
We’ve not been together for a while and even when we were it was clear we had moved on from you.

I’m sorry you are feeling this way but it’s better for both of us if you just don’t come here anymore.

Take care of yourself.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We are no worse than any other team outside the current top 4. Livi have just finished 5th twice by the looks of it. There's no way hat team have any more right to have that level of success than us. 

816729191_imageproxy(2).gif.44cc7ff7a9c77eb640df6c91efbb9976.gif

You are, that's why you haven't finished in the top half of the big boys league in 36 (thirty six) years.

Edited by tree house tam

6 hours ago, virginton said:

While some of this may be true, to me you are falling into the trap of suggesting everyone will improve while St Mirren have peaked. If you are going to be so charitable to the other teams then you need to use such a broad brush across all the teams.

btw, could I just say I've love to see wee Gus push you into the playoffs.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Hell no. I'm not having that.

Elvis doesn't have a happy molecule in his body. There's nothing about him that you should be trying to emulate.

Yesterday was tough. We were a bawhair away from achieving Tony's "fantasies". We need to accept Tony was just about right with his prediction instead of burying the guy after a 2 goal turnaround in the last couple of minutes of two separate matches.

St Johnstone got the rub of the green today and fair play to them but we have no business having a negative attitude after the season we've had so far. We could be in the position of Hamilton or Killie so a bit of perspective is needed by some in our support.

It's clear what we need to improve for next season so let's hope we get to see some of our younger kids on the pitch and see this season out as best we can.

There's still a Cup to be won for a start and we have a tranche of players now playing for their jobs over the next couple of months.

Let's look ahead and not back.

Yes but Elvis posted Exactly what was going to happen before the game even started .

September was the month that killed us, rather than February. 6 losses in a row, including Hibs, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock

Which was when we had our well documented COVID issues and we were signing keepers on the morning of matches and not training during the week and other such madness. The fact we even mounted a top six challenge and went on a cup run after all that off field carry on and subsequent fixture pile up is commendable in itself. We’d certainly all have taken this problem then.
Think there’s been a bit of an over reaction, which is not unexpected. We missed out by two goals. As ‘problems’ go, this is the best problem I ever remember us having.
It’s less than four years ago that we went into the final game of the season with relegation to the third tier a distinct possibility. We avoided the League 1 relegation playoff in 2017 on goal difference thanks to drawing against a half arsed Hibs who had already won the league and were on the beach. That’s when we had real problems.
The progress from then to now has been fantastic, not fast enough for some it would seem but fantastic none the less. A bit of perspective is certainly required.
Going into the final five games with nothing to play for is a bit of a luxury - I certainly won’t be losing sleep if we finish 7th or 8th.
Gives us a good chance to give the youngsters some game time. Would like to see Dylan Reid get a few starts and I’m sure we will see Jamieson and Henderson too.
In terms of player turnover in the summer it should be the quietest pre season we’ve had for years, major surgery is not required. Priority has to be to get the likes of Fraser, Obika, Durmus and Doyle-Hayes - who are all out of contract in May - signed up. If we can add a couple of players in key positions and avoid pandemic related problems we will be in the mix for top six again next year. We’re doing just fine.