The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Oh I'd love us to build around him. But a holding midfielder the boy is not. We are absolutely wasting him where his is and I've said so for weeks and weeks.

Stick him 15 yards further up the park and give him the freedom to start picking off runners all day and he'll be revelation. If Goodwin insists on pushing the boat out for him though just to have him knocking 5 yard balls sideways, someone else can do a better job for a lost less outlay.

Punt Goodwin then 😂

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

The remaining fixtures should be...

Hamilton, DU at home

Kilmarnock, Motherwell and RC away.

However, given that time we had to play Falkirk away 3 times, who knows.

I'd say play them all away from home but then as we're not allowed in it doesn't matter.

Got to feel sorry for @Ric

Starts a topic laughing at Yogi Hughes taking over in Dingwall - who goes on to be doing a solid, if unspectacular, job. Went around the forum desperate for attention and predicting top six finishes and Fitzpatrick being correct, Goodwin being an excellent manager only to fall face first at the final hurdle. Oh buggery.

Edited by Mr. Alli

I hope when Jim watches the game back he can reflect on his part too, yes we could have only had 2 in the wall and yes it was a soft free kick but he needs to improve his game management.  His unforced tinkering  on 56 minutes disrupted the team and then to take off our only outlet who could hold the ball up with a couple of minutes to go was plain daft.

Even pre game, to talk of his future career ambitions in the pre match press conference was naive at best and plain stupid at worst, he and the players hadn’t achieved anything pre match and now he’s got to pick them back up and stop our season drifting away. 

He is a young manager who will do very well in the game if he learns from this and if he doesn’t then he will become the next Allan Archibald.

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This is the way I see it panning out.

He speaks very well and seems like he cares but is very tactically nieve and seems to believe Fitzpatricks fantasies. 

Looking back at his comments over the past few months is brilliant, you'd be convinced he'd secured a top 3 finish for St Mirren based on them.

Massively inflated opinion of what hes actually achieved/capable of. Given the biggest managers wage in St Mirrens history, and one of the biggest budgets in their history, and he finishes in the bottom half and is papped out a cup by Livingston.

Has the thread title changed ? 

I have had a few beers but I was convinced it was top 4 / 6 or something of that ilk. 

Goodwind is a decent Manager but he was starting to think he was Mourinho. 

Quite a few decisions going for the buddies this past fe months, but no acceptance of their luck. More about Covid stopping their push for a Euro place. Dearly me. Ultimately Karma has a habit of serving justice at the right moment.

The quest for top 6 goes on for near on 40 years...

27 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Has the thread title changed ? 

I have had a few beers but I was convinced it was top 4 / 6 or something of that ilk. 

Goodwind is a decent Manager but he was starting to think he was Mourinho. 

Quite a few decisions going for the buddies this past fe months, but no acceptance of their luck. More about Covid stopping their push for a Euro place. Dearly me. Ultimately Karma has a habit of serving justice at the right moment.

The quest for top 6 goes on for near on 40 years...

We have been far from convincing for very many games, with a few incredible performances dotted in that have put a gloss on it. There have been times when I've heard/read people talking about us being a good team and I've wondered if it's been a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. 

I remain unsure about our tactics and I think we still have major weak spots in the squad. Had we made the top six, it would have been a decent achievement, but, let's be honest, it has had as much to do with some of the traditional top-six challengers having an absolute nightmare this season.

We've got plenty to build on here, though, and our recruitment has been broadly pretty good, so my main hope is that we can have a decent season next year when fans are back in the ground.

4 hours ago, AberdeenBud said:

Aye , very fair and would agree with most of that Chappers.

For those out of contract I'd say;

Definitely Keep - Durmus , Fraser

On the Fence - JDH, Obika, Quaner. I'd maybe advocate keeping one of Obika or Quaner if we can get rid of Erwin.

Definitely Bin - Connolly, Flynn (for fitness/age reasons).

It also did take a pretty unforseeable sequence of events that lead to the squad being so being so depleted and us having such a huge number of games over a short period of time, I'd wary of spending too much of the budget on quantity not quality.

Erwins deal runs for another year I think

Erwins deal runs for another year I think
Aye, exactly. Can't imagine clubs will lining up to take him off our hands, looking pretty criminal to give him a 2 year deal.

We've hopefully to see the best of Denis and Brophy. Ideally for next season I'd have those two, one of Obika and Quaner (purely based on his pedigree) kept on and add in another forward signed in the summer.

17 minutes ago, AberdeenBud said:

Aye, exactly. Can't imagine clubs will lining up to take him off our hands, looking pretty criminal to give him a 2 year deal.

We've hopefully to see the best of Denis and Brophy,. Ideally for next Season I'd have those two, one of Obika and Quaner (purely based on his pedigree) kept on and add in another forward signed in the summer.

We've managed to  offload worse players than Erwin with time left on their deals. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Got to feel sorry for @Ric

Starts a topic laughing at Yogi Hughes taking over in Dingwall - who goes on to be doing a solid, if unspectacular, job. Went around the forum desperate for attention and predicting top six finishes and Fitzpatrick being correct, Goodwin being an excellent manager only to fall face first at the final hurdle. Oh buggery.

#rentfree

You are having a nightmare, here.

If you had bothered to read my posts I'd actually predicted us to get relegated for most of the season and most recently said I'd be happy even if we didn't reach top six. That said, actually reading people's posts isn't really your strong point, is it?

So, shame we missed out on that 6th place. Still, quite a few positives to take. We're nowhere near the relegation scrap, which is always nice, Goodwin's managed to put together a decent team, with the core of it signed up for next season with this seasons' experience hopefully spurring them on to go one better. I genuinely think the Covid forfeitures then postponements then 9 games in about 3 weeks did for us, and I'd hope that a season without such nonsense might see us be a lot more consistent.

Can't really begrudge St Johnstone the 6th place, even if it is by the slimmest of margins. Even if it was classic last minute drama, you can't argue we've had a bad season, far from it.

In some ways, playing against lesser opposition will make for a more enjoyable closing few matches than having to deal with the OF and all the shite that comes with.