The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Sickening way to lose out but those are the breaks.
Simply put, we didn't do enough in the run of games in February where we turned so many potentially winnable fixtures into draws. We have the base of a good squad but there are fartoo many players in forward areas who are dead weight. Brophy of course is here next season and Dennis should be given his chance but it's time to say cheerio to guys like Obika, Erwin and Quaner who has been a total WTF signing. Others like McAllister and Flynn are probably done as well. Flynn through injuries and McAllister just isn't good enough. Connolly too can probably move on. He's explosive as f**k but you know within a minute of him being on whether he's going to be an asset or anonymous and it's usually the latter unfortunately.
Looking back further up the park, we have far too many central midfield options who are strong players but not attack-minded. The only definite attacking mid we have (who is actually good enough) is McGrath. 
Erhahon, JDH, MacPherson, soon Dylan Reid (who by his own admission isn't that attacking and doesn't score enough, but I hope he means more in a John McGinn sense as that is what we need) will be staking his claim for a spot in that team too. Quite simply, that's too many to play the one role. So who gives in that regard?
We heard and saw a lot said about JDH but if I'm giving an honest appraisal, outwith the first 8 games where he was excellent and played as a sort of box-to-box type, he's not been very good. This doesn't mean he's not a very good player, quite the contrary but he's completely wasted sitting in front of the defence and knocking 5 or 6 yard sideways passes about. That one falls at the feet of Goodwin who has a technically very gifted player in his ranks and won't play him in a way that benefits him or the team. I can honestly say I wouldn't be bothered with JDH moving on if we insist on him sitting in from of the defence as he has much more than that to offer.
I'm satisfied that we don't need a full rebuild in the summer, nothing like it, and that's a bit of a rare position for us to be in but we're most definitely needing to say goodbye to 6 or 7 of that squad before loanees. We probably need minimum of 7 or 8 in as we ran very, very short in bodies this season and it cost us in February with that run of games we had.
Aye , very fair and would agree with most of that Chappers.

For those out of contract I'd say;

Definitely Keep - Durmus , Fraser

On the Fence - JDH, Obika, Quaner. I'd maybe advocate keeping one of Obika or Quaner if we can get rid of Erwin.

Definitely Bin - Connolly, Flynn (for fitness/age reasons).

It also did take a pretty unforseeable sequence of events that lead to the squad being so being so depleted and us having such a huge number of games over a short period of time, I'd wary of spending too much of the budget on quantity not quality.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sickening way to lose out but those are the breaks.

Simply put, we didn't do enough in the run of games in February where we turned so many potentially winnable fixtures into draws. We have the base of a good squad but there are fartoo many players in forward areas who are dead weight. Brophy of course is here next season and Dennis should be given his chance but it's time to say cheerio to guys like Obika, Erwin and Quaner who has been a total WTF signing. Others like McAllister and Flynn are probably done as well. Flynn through injuries and McAllister just isn't good enough. Connolly too can probably move on. He's explosive as f**k but you know within a minute of him being on whether he's going to be an asset or anonymous and it's usually the latter unfortunately.

Looking back further up the park, we have far too many central midfield options who are strong players but not attack-minded. The only definite attacking mid we have (who is actually good enough) is McGrath. 

Erhahon, JDH, MacPherson, soon Dylan Reid (who by his own admission isn't that attacking and doesn't score enough, but I hope he means more in a John McGinn sense as that is what we need) will be staking his claim for a spot in that team too. Quite simply, that's too many to play the one role. So who gives in that regard?

We heard and saw a lot said about JDH but if I'm giving an honest appraisal, outwith the first 8 games where he was excellent and played as a sort of box-to-box type, he's not been very good. This doesn't mean he's not a very good player, quite the contrary but he's completely wasted sitting in front of the defence and knocking 5 or 6 yard sideways passes about. That one falls at the feet of Goodwin who has a technically very gifted player in his ranks and won't play him in a way that benefits him or the team. I can honestly say I wouldn't be bothered with JDH moving on if we insist on him sitting in from of the defence as he has much more than that to offer.

I'm satisfied that we don't need a full rebuild in the summer, nothing like it, and that's a bit of a rare position for us to be in but we're most definitely needing to say goodbye to 6 or 7 of that squad before loanees. We probably need minimum of 7 or 8 in as we ran very, very short in bodies this season and it cost us in February with that run of games we had.

I think some of this assessment is a bit harsh but most is absolutely spot on. I'd keep Flynn and maybe Obika for another year personally but we might have replacements on the radar already., Quaner, Erwin and McAllister can definitely go.

Doyle-Hayes has been awful since his injury, even taking into account that he's been played too deep. I do think Jim is better at spotting a player than actually knowing how to use them. Durmus being stuck at wing-back for weeks is another frustrating example.

Most importantly, United are hovering one point behind now so we absolutely need to refocus, screw the nut and secure 7th after the disappointment today.

48 minutes ago, AberdeenBud said:

Aye , very fair and would agree with most of that Chappers.

For those out of contract I'd say;

Definitely Keep - Durmus , Fraser

On the Fence - JDH, Obika, Quaner. I'd maybe advocate keeping one of Obika or Quaner if we can get rid of Erwin.

Definitely Bin - Connolly, Flynn (for fitness/age reasons).

It also did take a pretty unforseeable sequence of events that lead to the squad being so being so depleted and us having such a huge number of games over a short period of time, I'd wary of spending too much of the budget on quantity not quality. We certainly fucked it up over the three 

Quaner - I'd let go as he's missed too many games - unless he get's something like a goal a game after the split.

JDH - As others have said I'm less inclined to blow the budget on him than three months ago, altho that's maybe down to being played out of position..

Flynn - Versatile and altho' we're not likely to get 30+ games from him I'd be inclined to offer him a 1 year deal.

Obika - I'd be inclined to offer him a deal on the basis "There's no guarantee we'll get better"...

We shot ourselves in both feet over Covid, first the three keepers in September and then the postponed matches in October which came back to haunt us in February but as they say if yer aunty had balls....

Edited by btb

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Stubbs is busy covering himself in glory on Twitter.

Screenshot_20210320-180632.png

Tbf if you're giving it out you have to expect some back.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf if you're giving it out you have to expect some back.

TBF as well, he was conspicuous in his silence the other day when it was pointed out that despite the last 2 years being spent complaining about how badly he was treated by the board and their expectations, he opened up his first interview as SMFC manager by calling the board 'ambitious and realistic' without any prompting to do so.

It's a fucking shocking bit of patter in reply to what was a shite initial post though. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

TBF as well, he was conspicuous in his silence the other day when it was pointed out that despite the last 2 years being spent complaining about how badly he was treated by the board and their expectations, he opened up his first interview as SMFC manager by calling the board 'ambitious and realistic' without any prompting to do so.

It's a fucking shocking bit of patter in reply to what was a shite initial post though. 

Hes a thick w****r, but I always find it hilarious when managers/players respond to fans abuse with abuse back, as most fans seem to think they're somehow untouchable.

Also, if Doyle-Hayes is allowed to leave, I claim him for Perthshire.

Mental you have fans who'd rather see him leave than build a midfield around him. 

Stubbsy, to be completely fair to him has managed in his 3 month tenure to far, far outweigh both Davie Hay and Alex Rae in terms of how deeply, deeply hated he is by St. Mirren supporters.

Imagine only being in a job for 3 months and you make yourself more of an irredeemable ubercunt than Alex fucking Rae. That takes quite some amount of doing.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, if Doyle-Hayes is allowed to leave, I claim him for Perthshire.

Mental you have fans who'd rather see him leave than build a midfield around him. 

Oh I'd love us to build around him. But a holding midfielder the boy is not. We are absolutely wasting him where his is and I've said so for weeks and weeks.

Stick him 15 yards further up the park and give him the freedom to start picking off runners all day and he'll be revelation. If Goodwin insists on pushing the boat out for him though just to have him knocking 5 yard balls sideways, someone else can do a better job for a lost less outlay.