The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Awwwwww you lot must be fu**ing spewing.

Another Top 6 finish for the mighty Saints as the Fuddies drown in their own tears..Enjoy yet night guys 😅😅😅😅

It is definitely a sickener but well done to St Johnstone. Enjoy your night and watching top six fitba on your wee television in your tiny wee flat. 😉

200.gif.b435536be5afd10d20e2dd8460dfd1f0.gif

Well done to plucky St Mirren, who came so close to a historic top half finish. Hopefully you get stronger from here to give it a right good go next season too.

Hope Tony Fiitzpatrick is resigning after promising top six and failing to deliver for you poor fake supporters.

Never mind at least you will not get relegated this season but if you lose Goodwin next season could be a different story.

Hope you keep the Arabs away from being the best of the rest.

5 minutes ago, Torfason said:

It is definitely a sickener but well done to St Johnstone. Enjoy your night and watching top six fitba on your wee television in your tiny wee flat. 😉

It's not a flat it's a a two bedroom cottage actually 😅 But yeah it is only a 42 inch telly..Oh tbe shame 

1 minute ago, AberdeenBud said:

Why would we care if you or Livi are 5th. emoji848.png

I doubt any of you will care at all.

Spoiler

St Mirren fans...

OSLYjbN.jpg.cbb02d199fbf890572d46059d3264f09.jpg

Sickening way to lose out but those are the breaks.

Simply put, we didn't do enough in the run of games in February where we turned so many potentially winnable fixtures into draws. We have the base of a good squad but there are fartoo many players in forward areas who are dead weight. Brophy of course is here next season and Dennis should be given his chance but it's time to say cheerio to guys like Obika, Erwin and Quaner who has been a total WTF signing. Others like McAllister and Flynn are probably done as well. Flynn through injuries and McAllister just isn't good enough. Connolly too can probably move on. He's explosive as f**k but you know within a minute of him being on whether he's going to be an asset or anonymous and it's usually the latter unfortunately.

Looking back further up the park, we have far too many central midfield options who are strong players but not attack-minded. The only definite attacking mid we have (who is actually good enough) is McGrath. 

Erhahon, JDH, MacPherson, soon Dylan Reid (who by his own admission isn't that attacking and doesn't score enough, but I hope he means more in a John McGinn sense as that is what we need) will be staking his claim for a spot in that team too. Quite simply, that's too many to play the one role. So who gives in that regard?

We heard and saw a lot said about JDH but if I'm giving an honest appraisal, outwith the first 8 games where he was excellent and played as a sort of box-to-box type, he's not been very good. This doesn't mean he's not a very good player, quite the contrary but he's completely wasted sitting in front of the defence and knocking 5 or 6 yard sideways passes about. That one falls at the feet of Goodwin who has a technically very gifted player in his ranks and won't play him in a way that benefits him or the team. I can honestly say I wouldn't be bothered with JDH moving on if we insist on him sitting in from of the defence as he has much more than that to offer.

I'm satisfied that we don't need a full rebuild in the summer, nothing like it, and that's a bit of a rare position for us to be in but we're most definitely needing to say goodbye to 6 or 7 of that squad before loanees. We probably need minimum of 7 or 8 in as we ran very, very short in bodies this season and it cost us in February with that run of games we had.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, AberdeenBud said:

Not gonna even open that, I'm sure it's Main anyway. emoji23.pngemoji24.png

It was, but this ones not...

Spoiler

Alan-Main-e1413454758305.jpg.e2b5d394856b8441924c9eebfdf2e5b4.jpg

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Sickening way to lose out but those are the breaks.

Simply put, we didn't do enough in the run of games in February where we turned so many potentially winnable fixtures into draws. We have the base of a good squad but there are fartoo many players in forward areas who are dead weight. Brophy of course is here next season and Dennis should be given his chance but it's time to say cheerio to guys like Obika, Erwin and Quaner who has been a total WTF signing. Others like McAllister and Flynn are probably done as well. Flynn through injuries and McAllister just isn't good enough. Connolly too can probably move on. He's explosive as f**k but you know within a minute of him being on whether he's going to be an asset or anonymous and it's usually the latter unfortunately.

Looking back further up the park, we have far too many central midfield options who are strong players but not attack-minded. The only definite attacking mid we have is McGrath. 

Erhahon, JDH, MacPherson, soon Dylan Reid (who by his own admission isn't that attacking and doesn't score enough, but I hope he means more in a John McGinn sense as that is what we need) will be staking his claim for a spot in that team too. Quite simply, that's too many to play the one role. So who gives in that regard?

We heard and saw a lot said about JDH but if I'm giving an honest appraisal, outwith the first 8 games where he was excellent and played as a sort of box-to-box type, he's not been very good. This doesn't mean he's not a very good player, quite the contrary but he's completely wasted sitting in front of the defence and knocking 5 or 6 yard sideways passes about. That one falls at the feet of Goodwin who has a technically very gifted player in his ranks and won't play him in a way that benefits him or the team. I can honestly say I wouldn't be bothered with JDH moving on if we insist on him sitting in from of the defence as he has much more than that to offer.

I'm satisfied that we don't need a full rebuild in the summer, nothing like it, and that's a bit of a rare position for us to be in but we're most definitely needing to say goodbye to 6 or 7 of that squad before loanees. We probably need minimum of 7 or 8 in as we ran very, very short in bodies this season and it cost us in February with that run of games we had.

Very fair assessment, JDH is particular is someone I would like to keep but he is not someone the club should push the boat out for financially. 
Watching Jim’s prematch interview you had a feeling it was going to come back and bite him, a bit of Jack Ross creeping in before he has actually achieved something. Hopefully he will learn from that and his bizarre substitutions today.

3 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Very fair assessment, JDH is particular is someone I would like to keep but he is not someone the club should push the boat out for financially. 
Watching Jim’s prematch interview you had a feeling it was going to come back and bite him, a bit of Jack Ross creeping in before he has actually achieved something. Hopefully he will learn from that and his bizarre substitutions today.

You know for a fact that JDH is going to go somewhere and Aaron Mooy it. 

You can just see it. He's definitely good enough. But I'm not wanting us pushing the boat out to keep him if we insist ion playing him in the role we do. If we make him our highest paid player but have him playing as a sort of deep playmaker? Aye. That's his style but as a holding midfielder? Not for me - I'm astounded that Goodwin persists with him there.