The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I will reserve making any hasty comments until after Saturday results however it is wonderful of the BBC to have Alan Stubbs feature so prominently.

Yeah to be fair we may yet not make it, but I think the fact we've been very competitive for the place still shows what an idiot Stubbs is. Bear in mind Stubs was making those comments to defend his own position - he maintains the expectations on him were unreasonable, and Goodwin has completely blown him out the water on that front.

Yeah to be fair we may yet not make it, but I think the fact we've been very competitive for the place still shows what an idiot Stubbs is. Bear in mind Stubs was making those comments to defend his own position - he maintains the expectations on him were unreasonable, and Goodwin has completely blown him out the water on that front.

Stubbs running his mouth to compensate for his shite signings was always likely to backfire.

Not forgetting getting St Mirren to compete for the top 6 was likened to winning the Champions League with Aberdeen which makes the job Goodwin has done thus far all the more remarkable.

I see Goodwin is already scrambling to try and get Dylan Reid on a contract but we might actually lose him as some massive clubs are looking at him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56448680

I mean, it's easy to get the head turned if clubs as big as the ones we've heard about like Bayern and Benfica are sniffing about. Thankfully if he does go, we will be very, very well compensated for a lad who has played one first team game so far.

I would, of course rather he stayed and played if he's as massively talented as is being made out but should he go, I'd hope he goes to somewhere like Germany where IF he's good enough, he'll get perhaps a loan or two then first team football relatively quickly rather than a club in the Premier League where he's much more likely to get lost in the shuffle.

22 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I will reserve making any hasty comments until after Saturday results however it is wonderful of the BBC to have Alan Stubbs feature so prominently.

Regardless of where we end up Stubbs is still a fuckin idiot.

Edited by NorthBank

If I claimed Erhahon had played better than you expected, and MacPherson is a bit disappointing, would that feel right?

Trying to "profile" players and see if they're performing/underperforming, but without the knowledge of folk who actually watch the players its potentially useless.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If I claimed Erhahon had played better than you expected, and MacPherson is a bit disappointing, would that feel right?

Trying to "profile" players and see if they're performing/underperforming, but without the knowledge of folk who actually watch the players its potentially useless.

Ethan has definitely benefitted from his loan spell at Barnsley and now being played in his best position. He is still young and has a bit to learn yet. The experienced Bartley at Livi had him in his pocket in the semi for instance and I’d suggest that McCann at your club is a better prospect at the moment. 

Cammy has come in and probably not progressed as much as I’d have hoped but whenever his name is on the team sheet I’ve never thought he was the weak link. 

Both players have done enough for us to not feel the loss of two Captains that played in midfield and have us in with a chance of top six still. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

9 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Ethan has definitely benefitted from his loan spell at Barnsley and now being played in his best position. He is still young and has a bit to learn yet. The experienced Bartley at Livi had him in his pocket in the semi for instance and I’d suggest that McCann at your club is a better prospect at the moment. 

Cammy has come in and probably not progressed as much as I’d have hoped but whenever his name is on the team sheet I’ve never thought he was the weak link. 

Both players have done enough for us to not feel the loss of two Captains that played in midfield and have us in with a chance of top six still. 

Reasonable to say Erhahon has exceeded pretty much every expectation we possibly had, and he's been largely very good. Prone to some errors, but he's 19. He's going to be a big player for someone one day.

There was a sense for a while that we couldn't quite work out why Cammy wasn't getting more game time - I personally took it that Jim didn't trust him. Perhaps, like most the rest of our squad, he was suffering a bit from Covid after-effects at some point. Obviously the arrival of JDH, a clear upgrade, has limited his game time a little. I though his contract was up in the summer but Transfermarkt says it's 2022. I hope it's the latter as I think next season could be big for him - he really needs to kick on.

If I was to make a guess, I'd say Cammy McPherson is going to be the future of SMFC. Ethan is probably going to be with us another year and will then be the future of a bigger club.

As @DumbartonBud says, the fact they are both getting regular time in the best-performing midfield we've had in a very long time says everything you need to know.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd say so.

Erhahon has been more consistent and turned in more strong performances than poor ones. He is a real prospect to go on and have a very good level of career. A Kenny McLean sort of level career.

Cammy has a lot of tenacity but quite a bit less technical ability. I'd say he is going to be a solid enough Premiership/Championship hand his entire career.

Edited by djchapsticks

To be honest, Erhahon has pretty much turned out as I expected. It was clear he was a decent talent just from the amount of people talking about him and the path he'd come through. I could never understand why people were willing to write him off so quickly on the back of being hung out to dry at left back when he was 17 by Saint Oran.

MacPherson I would say has actually surprised me a bit more the way he's fought his way into the squad, seen off the likes of Foley and McGinn and at the moment is a very solid squad member for a team with a decent midfeild. His passing is still a bit ropy, and he gives away stupid fouls, but he's improved a lot. I think bottom to mid premiership in Scotland will be his level though.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say so.

Erhahon has been more consistent and turned in more strong performances than poor ones. He is a real prospect to go on and have a very good level of career. A Kenny McLean sort of level career.

Cammy has a lot of tenacity but quite a bit less technical ability. I'd say he is going to be a solid enough Premiership/Championship hand his entire career.

Cheers, I've been trying to "profile" players through numbers, and was just going team by team to see anything interested (I skipped looking at Doyle-Hayes, because f**k you guys for signing him). I'll spoiler what I mean for folk that don't care for stats stuff.

Spoiler

304650152_download(17).png.3449880a9b4601186fbc35cfbe4c7905.png

1686076789_download(18).png.8cfe7c68510f6a23ce6532fad4a37e43.png

If you see blue then they're underperforming the role they're being asked to play. Red means they're overperforming in that role. Size doesnt really matter that much, especially for young players who haven't played massive amounts, its really just a case of the longer ones being indictive.

So Erhahon is a playmaker who doesn't get stuck into tackles, and is playing well in his own half despite his role not really helping him do that, while MacPherson is an aggressive goal threat who does most of his work in the opposition half, but isn't doing a good job of getting goals or helping the attack in the final third.

That seem fair?

On 18/03/2021 at 09:45, Coventry Saint said:

Alan Stubbs is a fucking idiot 😂

Stubbs should genuinely be sitting in Barlinnie for some of the signings he made for St Mirren. I know there was some rumours flying around that agents close to him were getting a cut from some of the guys he signed that summer, something to do with Jamie Vardys academy, where I believe Stubbs was a coach.

As much as I don’t like to see or hear Stubbs and Alex Rae acting as pundits on TV, it gives me a bit of pleasure that no other club has seen fit to employ them as a manager after their time at Saints. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think if we are talking about the present season, Erhahon has most definitely stepped up his game when compared to MacPherson, although Ethan has had a lot more minutes on the pitch. He was loaned last season to Barnsley where he seemed to only play in their development team, and is obviously now back at St Mirren, but he seems to have came back as a better player. His fitness looks to be improved and has a very strong and athletic physique for a 19 your old guy. 

I mentioned it earlier in this thread that he is sometimes rash with his tackling in the middle of the park, and seems eager to fly into tackles when the probability of him winning the ball and making a clean tackle isn’t in his favour. I just went and had a quick look at the stats there as I was sure Erhahon had been sent off earlier in the season away at McDiarmid Park but it was actually MacPherson. He’s not had a red card this season however he has been booked 6 times.