The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Today's results were kinda what I expected - at least County are still in the frame and will have everything to play for next week

On paper we have a better team than Hamilton, unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that - COYS!

Edited by btb

McGinn in a Morton top...

ub63Khi.png

No idea if he played well or not.

As for Hamilton next week, as we've all said, if given the opportunity of a game against Hamilton to secure a top 6 finish we all would have bitten the hand off from whoever was offering it. What's more. although a win would be ideal, we only need to match the result in Perth. We could even lose the game and still achieve it.

McGinn in a Morton top...
ub63Khi.png&key=323366e1d61b1fe1b483804fe43671e221c67db7512ea0fb987361cecfe90c36
No idea if he played well or not.

As for Hamilton next week, as we've all said, if given the opportunity of a game against Hamilton to secure a top 6 finish we all would have bitten the hand off from whoever was offering it. What's more. although a win would be ideal, we only need to match the result in Perth. We could even lose the game and still achieve it.

After dominating matches v County for years but not winning, we are due to give them a hiding soon. Maybe.

Was surprised to read a tweet from Lee Mair yesterday in support of a footballer who was frozen out by an ex-manager the said player scored against his ex manager at the weekend. Lee Mair wrote he had the same experience at St Mirren being frozen out by Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig. 

6 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was surprised to read a tweet from Lee Mair yesterday in support of a footballer who was frozen out by an ex-manager the said player scored against his ex manager at the weekend. Lee Mair wrote he had the same experience at St Mirren being frozen out by Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig. 

He was  talking about Aug 2013 to January 2014 . He only had a couple of starts , and only as a last resort. He left first week in Jan !

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Depends - when is a player frozen out and when is one dropped for being shite?

I don’t think Mair was a big miss, from memory.

34 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Depends - when is a player frozen out and when is one dropped for being shite?

I don’t think Mair was a big miss, from memory.

That was my thought as well. I had to wiki the season once I saw the post and then Mair's tweet. Mair probably would've got a game in the season following when Tommy Craig assembled his squad of shite. In the responses to Mair's tweet there aren't too many being complimentary about Danny Lennon as well. 

I also just found out while reading up on seasons around that time that Chris Smith, the GK, re-signed for Saints in the August of the season we won the cup. I had absolutely no recollection of that and given he made no appearances and I don't remember ducking from one of his kickouts I can only assume he never made the match day squad to participate in the warm ups.

Edited by buddie06smfc

Lennon wanted shot of Mair at the start of the 2013/14 season and he barely featured. We had a horrendous start to the season and, as is the way with fans of any club when this sort of thing happens, Mair's ability became greater and greater the longer he was out the team. I seem to remember his name being chanted during a League Cup game at Palmerston!

I think he eventually came back into the team and we did improve, so you could probably make a case he should have played - although you can look at other reasons for that such as the arrival of Kello. He was then binned for good come the transfer window and our form didn't really change much either way.

That whole era was a difficult time. 

But then looking at the team when we won the cup in 2013 with 20/20 hindsight, it looks incredible.  Thommo, Goncalves, Dummy, GT on the wing, Goodwin and his sexy elbows (would f**k any centre forward in the league).  We should have stormed up the league that year... 

That whole era was a difficult time. 

But then looking at the team when we won the cup in 2013 with 20/20 hindsight, it looks incredible.  Thommo, Goncalves, Dummy, GT on the wing, Goodwin and his sexy elbows (would f**k any centre forward in the league).  We should have stormed up the league that year... 

Player wise that team was much better than our current one. We finished 11th cause we were a disorganised and poorly managed shambles.
We would have likely been relegated had it not been for Rangers going bust and the whole club 12 business that led to a hopeless Dundee side being promoted.

Dundee, that season, were the worst top flight team I've ever seen.  I went to school and used to play football with Barry Smith, who managed them previously, so I still keep an eye out for them. 

They were nailled on for the drop that season.  Hope they got sufficient dollar to compensate them being the whipping boys. 

11 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Dundee, that season, were the worst top flight team I've ever seen.  I went to school and used to play football with Barry Smith, who managed them previously, so I still keep an eye out for them. 

They were nailled on for the drop that season.  Hope they got sufficient dollar to compensate them being the whipping boys. 

We were and whilst we were fortunate to be in a position to go up without competitively deserving of it, we were utterly shafted with it only being confirmed 3 days prior to the league starting and us pressing forward by building a Championship side.

Funnily enough, we gained more points that season than we did under McIntyre 2 seasons ago.

Barry Smith has proven to be an utterly disastrous manager elsewhere but he'd done a very good job with us over the course of 2 seasons and was fucked due to that.

We were fan owned at the time (which was an utter shambles) and not spending money in typical Dundee fashion either and the budget was probably our lowest ever bar the 1st time we went into admin and were relegated with Kernagahan in charge.

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We were fan owned at the time (which was an utter shambles) and not spending money in typical Dundee fashion either and the budget was probably our lowest ever bar the 1st time we went into admin and were relegated with Kernagahan in charge.

Now you are privately owned and making it rain with American cash all over the team except for the one place that you desperately need it - the management!

That said, I see you've finally started to not play Hamilton in goals. I'm sure that's at least one less worry for you... ;)