The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Fraser for me was a solid 6/10 or 7/10 every week. Never contributed too much but never let us down. Always thought he was a bit of a stopgap for RB until we got a dedicated LB in and could move Tait over or get Flynn back.

Until the turn of the year.

He's consolidated being a bit of a steady hand and turned that into being an 8/10 just about every week. He drives us forward from the back, is almost always there to cover others mistakes and rarely is caught out himself. I can only think of maybe one or two goals all season that I've thought he was directly responsible for.

A fantastic turn out from a guy that most of us went 'meh' about initially and Ross County fans were decidedly 'meh' about leaving too. He's been a truly excellent signing.

A year today since we were last in the ground to see Big Jon relegate Hearts. Feels like 10! 

My other lasting memory of that day was the sheer panic when I arrived at my car after the game to realise I didn't have my keys. I'll always appreciate that steward letting me back in to find them lying under my seat.

1 hour ago, AberdeenBud said:

Gus taking over at Morton took the end of the season. Strange one.

Aberdeen mate of mine text a lot chat on twitter regarding Jim Goodwin.  Told him he just signed a three year deal so you would need to buy out his contract. Edit he has just told me the guy who runs Mcbookie saying its Goodwin Aberdeen want. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

On 09/03/2021 at 13:56, buddie06smfc said:

Tait reminds me of Popescu a bit in that he is well liked because he makes last ditch tackles and the likes but often it is because he messed up or was out of position in the first place. Granted he is a better player than Popescu but he has definitely slowed compared to his Motherwell days and no coincidence he has been rested quite a bit while the rest of the defence has been a mainstay. I am glad Goodwin has targeted these two as they are thoroughly deserving of new deals and they are, again, being very proactive when it comes to renewing with McGrath as he still has the year to go. If Fraser stays I would think we are a left back off a very good defence for this level with Tait as back up across all defensive positions. 

What the absolute f**k is this nonsense?

Tait has been rested ' quite a bit' ? He's played 29 of our 32 league matches - he was banned for two of them. He also played every game in our League Cup campaign.

The comparison with Popescu is ridiculous :lol: They're nothing alike. 

39 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

What the absolute f**k is this nonsense?

Tait has been rested ' quite a bit' ? He's played 29 of our 32 league matches - he was banned for two of them. He also played every game in our League Cup campaign.

The comparison with Popescu is ridiculous :lol: They're nothing alike. 

Maybe quite a bit was stretching it but he's the one to drop out when Goodwin has changed formation to a 3 at the back in recent times. I haven't compared them as players, I compared for reasons they are liked as defenders. In any case, I think we can do better for an automatic first pick at left back - he is a good option to have in the squad and has been a good acquisition by Goodwin. 

On 09/03/2021 at 23:53, djchapsticks said:

Fraser for me was a solid 6/10 or 7/10 every week. Never contributed too much but never let us down. Always thought he was a bit of a stopgap for RB until we got a dedicated LB in and could move Tait over or get Flynn back.

Until the turn of the year.

He's consolidated being a bit of a steady hand and turned that into being an 8/10 just about every week. He drives us forward from the back, is almost always there to cover others mistakes and rarely is caught out himself. I can only think of maybe one or two goals all season that I've thought he was directly responsible for.

A fantastic turn out from a guy that most of us went 'meh' about initially and Ross County fans were decidedly 'meh' about leaving too. He's been a truly excellent signing.

I think this is spot on. I'd say Tait had been our best outfield player up until about Christmas and then it's been Fraser since. Surely has to be between those two, Alnwick and McGrath for POTY. Erhahon's obviously young POTY by miles.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

6 hours ago, GAD said:

A year today since we were last in the ground to see Big Jon relegate Hearts. Feels like 10! 

My other lasting memory of that day was the sheer panic when I arrived at my car after the game to realise I didn't have my keys. I'll always appreciate that steward letting me back in to find them lying under my seat.

You can claim to be the last St Mirren fan in the ground pre pandemic 

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Aberdeen mate of mine text a lot chat on twitter regarding Jim Goodwin.  Told him he just signed a three year deal so you would need to buy out his contract. Edit he has just told me the guy who runs Mcbookie saying its Goodwin Aberdeen want. 

Heard from a good source that Stephen Glass is close to signing, Dons not willing to pay compensation for Goody so we secured him just at the right time

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Stephen McGinn starts for Morton today at East End Park. 🤮

Yeah, I heard wee Gus had gone in for him. I mean it makes sense on paper, but if he has a dodgy game will the Morton fans forget his history (or Gus' for that matter).