The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, btb said:

The 90/91 reconstruction was specifically to save Hibs.

5 hours ago, Mordecai said:

But we weren't relegated in 90-91 - there was league reconstruction so there was no relegation. We were relegated the following season after finishing 11th.

Em, yes, I'll leave it up to AS to summarise my day's contributions..

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

You're having a mare.

🤐

12 minutes ago, btb said:

Well it's gonna be a long two weeks but at least it's in our hands...

The type of game every seat would be taken in the away end. This  ( IS ) Cup final which is going to be one tough game as both clubs need the points its a unmissable watch. 

5 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

The type of game every seat would be taken in the away end. This  ( IS ) Cup final which is going to be one tough game as both clubs need the points its a unmissable watch. 

All 4 clubs need the points - Accies vs Us & the Fakes vs County are fairly equivalent matches.

Edited by btb

St. Johnstone are likely to beat Ross County at home, which now means we have to win away to Hamilton...who stopped Rangers there a few weeks ago. Of course, Dundee Utd are still in it, but I would hope they wouldn't get more than 4 points from their home fixtures against Celtic and Aberdeen.

I hate to 'do an Elvis' guys, but I really do see the Fakes stealing us from under our noses. :( Still...on the bright side, consider how fortunate we are to be in this position. :)

608171295_Screenshot2021-03-06at17_52_21.png.1d6b9786467e92a0d03d25813e40a100.png

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

St. Johnstone are likely to beat Ross County at home, which now means we have to win away to Hamilton...who stopped Rangers there a few weeks ago. Of course, Dundee Utd are still in it, but I would hope they wouldn't get more than 4 points from their home fixtures against Celtic and Aberdeen.

I hate to 'do an Elvis' guys, but I really do see the Fakes stealing us from under our noses. :( Still...on the bright side, consider how fortunate we are to be in this position. :)

608171295_Screenshot2021-03-06at17_52_21.png.1d6b9786467e92a0d03d25813e40a100.png

Probably my heart here I think we will win. Two weeks to prepare and do the home work. 

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

I was looking at it today, and it looks like we can possibly both finish top six.

Livingston have Hamilton and Hibs at home. They're on a bad run of form, but I can see them getting at least a point. Unless they get an absolute hammering, they will have a better goal difference than us, so we still need to beat Hamilton even if they lose both games.

Basically we need to beat Hamilton or for the Fakes to fail to win.

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

Livingston have Hamilton and Hibs at home. They're on a bad run of form, but I can see them getting at least a point. Unless they get an absolute hammering, they will have a better goal difference than us, so we still need to beat Hamilton even if they lose both games.

Basically we need to beat Hamilton or for the Fakes to fail to win.

We also need Dundee United to lose tomorrow.

United haven’t lost but they’re now out of it, realistically. The only way they finish top six is if St Johnstone don’t win, we lose, they beat Aberdeen and there’s a seven goal swing between them and us.
As in us losing 3-0 to Accies and them beating Aberdeen 4-0 or similar.
Livi could only get dragged into the race it they have a couple of heavy losses at home to Accies and Hibs, which also isn’t realistic.
It’s between us and St Johnstone. Simply put if they don’t beat County we’ve done it regardless of our result. If they beat County we need to beat Accies.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

United haven’t lost but they’re now out of it, realistically. The only way they finish top six is if St Johnstone don’t win, we lose, they beat Aberdeen and there’s a seven goal swing between them and us.
As in us losing 3-0 to Accies and them beating Aberdeen 4-0 or similar.
Livi could only get dragged into the race it they have a couple of heavy losses at home to Accies and Hibs, which also isn’t realistic.
It’s between us and St Johnstone. Simply put if they don’t beat County we’ve done it regardless of our result. If they beat County we need to beat Accies.

Think I'll be going for a spot of insurance gambling when the time comes. Double chance Accies draw/win and St Johnstone win.

Edited by Coventry Saint

On 03/03/2021 at 20:23, btb said:

My nightmare scenario is the Fakes winning their two games leaving us with the formality/banana skin of needing to beat Accies in game 33!

Always felt we'd end up in this scenario, still at least it's in our own hands...

Obika Day Minus 4our...

I'm a lot happier that the farmers are playing County, who I'd wager are (at present) a harder opponent than Hamilton. Granted we are playing away from home, which I'm not sure is a benefit or not. After all we have a better away record this season (H: P17/W4 - A: P15/W6) but then it's also on that rotten pitch at NDP. We are definitely a better side than Hamilton, who've failed to beat us this season (1W/1D), and both teams have something to play for albeit ours is a bit more immediate.

Ideally Hamilton go and win at Livi come this Saturday, and County lose to Hibs. That'll give Hamilton some breathing room to Killie and leapfrog County, it'll also make County all the more determined to take points from the farmers.

Ultimately, though, it's in our own hands which is the pleasing thing. A win seals it no matter the results elsewhere and even if we don't, if we can match the result from Perth then "that'll do pig".

Like Goodwin himself, I think most Saints fan would have taken a one off game against Hamilton in order to secure a top 6 position, especially so considering how far away we are from the relegation battle.

Edited by Ric

On 06/03/2021 at 18:39, GAD said:

My mistake. 

We basically need to beat Hamilton, or else we will be very lucky. We're capable, but Hamilton have now gone into that mode where they're very tough to beat.