The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I’m one of the older guys who was lucky to have been a youngster in high school when Fergies furies were doing wonderful things back in the day. The team who finished 3rd back in the old style premier league, were probably the best team never to have won the league. 
Those were incredible days of top six finishes cup semi-finals European nights and an Anglo Scottish cup win. I feel privileged to have been part of that successful era. As GAD says for a diddy team we’ve done better than most over the years. 
I started going about the same time thanks to a neighbour who took me all over Scotland the season we won the 1st division under Fergie. Think he took pity on the widow woman next door and gave him an excuse to get out the house every Saturday.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

I'm pretty much the same as Ric. To be honest, I think the Cup Final we don't talk about was such a gut punch that I don't think a mere relegation could come close anymore. Also, when I got really into supporting St Mirren through the 90s we were genuinely shite, being in a relegation battle in the top league would be barely imaginable heights back then, and apart from the 99/00, that was pretty much it until Gus took over. We never really even went on cup runs.

I actually think, considering we support a diddy team, we've been pretty lucky. In my lifetime we've won a league 3 times, had a couple of great escapes (which may not be much of an achievement, but those league run ins are fucking amazing) won the diddy cup and won the league cup. There are plenty of similar sized teams who've had nothing like the days we've had.

I flew home from the West Coast of America for the weekend for that game.............that was a long flight back on the Monday morning after it........but when we got to the final again, I came home again for it.
The joys of being a St Mirren supporter I guess, you know there will be more downs than ups but when the ups come around they are incredible.

I do remember though when I was in my late teens early twenties a defeat would ruin my weekend 😀

13 hours ago, btb said:

When lockdown ends I look forward to my se7enth decade of supporting Saints (in person), I was lifted over the turnstyle to see our infamous 1-0 win over the Dead Team in in November68 as a 5-y-o. Fell away in the early 70s but went back to watch Fergies Furies in 76/77 as a solo delinquent...

Sometimes I think back to my return and wonder if I could have been a more rounded person if I'd chosen another pastime, but fuck that it's been a glorious if at times bumpy ride.

Non, je ne regrette rien.  126cbd9a59a48c13f3effbde7be8d541.jpg

PS - Obika Day Minus Se7en...

Can't match that record. I started watching in the 67/68 season. I remember thinking, this team never loses. I wasn't far wrong, only one game was lost that season. 

os Team
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion or relegation
1 St Mirren 36 27 8 1 100 23 +77 62 Promotion to the 1968–69 First Division
2 Arbroath 36 24 5 7 87 34 +53 53
3 East Fife 36 21 7 8 71 47 +24 49  
4 Queen's Park 36 20 8 8 76 47 +29 48
5 Ayr United 36 18 6 12 69 48 +21 42
6 Queen of the South 36 16 6 14 73 57 +16 38
7 Forfar Athletic 36 14 10 12 57 63 −6 38
8 Albion Rovers 36 14 9 13 62 55 +7 37
9 Clydebank 36 13 8 15 62 73 −11 34
10 Dumbarton 36 11 11 14 63 74 −11 33
11 Hamilton Academical 36 13 7 16 49 58 −9 33
12 Cowdenbeath 36 12 8 16 57 62 −5 32
13 Montrose 36 10 11 15 54 64 −10 31
14 Berwick Rangers 36 13 4 19 34 54 −20 30
15 East Stirlingshire 36 9 10 17 61 74 −13 28
16 Brechin City 36 8 12 16 45 62 −17 28
17 Alloa Athletic 36 11 6 19 42 69 −27 28
18 Stranraer 36 8 4 24 41 80 −39 20
19 Stenhousemuir 36 7 6 23 34 9

11 hours ago, Torfason said:

I flew home from the West Coast of America for the weekend for that game.............that was a long flight back on the Monday morning after it........but when we got to the final again, I came home again for it.
The joys of being a St Mirren supporter I guess, you know there will be more downs than ups but when the ups come around they are incredible.

I do remember though when I was in my late teens early twenties a defeat would ruin my weekend 😀

I can imagine, the trip back to Shawlands where I lived at the time was bad enough for me. I actually met a guy who lived in California I think in hospitality the day we drew 0-0 with Livi to win the league under Jack Ross. We all went to the Bull after and got absolutely wrecked. That wasn't you was it?

@madmitch Actually you predate me by a season. after the aforementioned Rangers game where over 40.000 folks squeezed into Love St. IIRC we were second in the League  although a subsequent run of bad form meant we fought our way down to eleventh :smartass that's the St Mirren way...

St Mirren table(s) on 1968-11-16 (fitbastats.com)

St Mirren table(s) on 1969-05-16 (fitbastats.com)

Edit - Obika Day Minus 6!

Edited by btb

7 hours ago, GAD said:

I can imagine, the trip back to Shawlands where I lived at the time was bad enough for me. I actually met a guy who lived in California I think in hospitality the day we drew 0-0 with Livi to win the league under Jack Ross. We all went to the Bull after and got absolutely wrecked. That wasn't you was it?

I’ve got a mate who lives in North Carolina he’s been over for the league cup final in 2013 it might have been him pissed as a fart not remembering which part of the states he lives in. 🤣

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Sadly not, I took the Scottish option and opted for somewhere far more rainy........Seattle. 🙈

The problem with that is it opens up the claim that we are somehow assisting Hamilton by not fielding our strongest side when they are deep in the mire of a relegation battle.

Why not? I’m sure we’ve helped the Accies a couple of times.
If the Perth Saints hadn’t taken so long to get it together I’m sure the Paisley Saints would be chasing Livi for the last top six spot. As it is, well done if you get there. I quite like Jim Goodwin and big Joe S is a pleasant lad, despite what our fans say about him and his agent/dad. If we don’t make it we have had ample compensation in the form of a cup win.

Being a naive schoolboy when we were relegated back in 1992 I remember thinking it would be quite good playing against some other teams and going to other grounds. If I'd been told that that 13 of the following 14 seasons would be spent in the 1st division.....

I realise now just how important it is to stay in this league: opportunities for cup runs and wins / beating the old firm, quality of football, media coverage..... Has really been brought to the fore this season with C19 ravaging the lower leagues. Heading towards the split without having to worry about relegation is amazing.

I wonder if there are a few young Killie fans thinking like I was back in 1992. Problem is it's a damn sight easier to stay in this league than get out of the one below. If they go down we might not be seeing them again for awhile.

8 minutes ago, andrewh said:

If the Perth Saints hadn’t taken so long to get it together I’m sure the Paisley Saints would be chasing Livi for the last top six spot. 

If it hadn't been for Covid I'm sure you'd have been able to see your team win the League Cup, instead of looking at a screen. C'est la vie. I particularly enjoyed the open top bus tour in 2013 ...

11 hours ago, andrewh said:

If the Perth Saints hadn’t taken so long to get it together I’m sure the Paisley Saints would be chasing Livi for the last top six spot. As it is, well done if you get there. I quite like Jim Goodwin and big Joe S is a pleasant lad, despite what our fans say about him and his agent/dad. If we don’t make it we have had ample compensation in the form of a cup win.

To be fair, if we hadn't had the Covid months, a huge injury list, and had to play about a quarter of the season in the month of February then it would be done and dusted and we would be fighting for 4th.

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

We were relegated FIVE YEARS after winning the cup :rolleyes:

Sorry you are absolutely correct, we'd managed to avoid relegation the year after, which was the real frustration. We'd just won the fucking cup. We struggled again in 89/90 with us finally succumbing to it in 90/91 and that's when Hay was appointed. Can't think of who was in charge during that time.. 🙄

Spoiler

MTnKQLE.jpg

btw.. It'd be churlish to point out it was 4 years rather than five - 86/87 cup, 90/91 we were relegated, but seeing as you were correctly chastising me I'll not mention it. Oh, wait... :whistle

Edited by Ric

13 hours ago, andrewh said:

I think it's just down to fairness. If we were in a relegation battle (now... I appreciate that's a difficult thing to imagine us in the relegation mire, but give it your best shot!) we'd expect teams to put out their strongest sides against a relegation rival.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sorry you are absolutely correct, we'd managed to avoid relegation the year after, which was the real frustration. We'd just won the fucking cup. We struggled again in 89/90 with us finally succumbing to it in 90/91 and that's when Hay was appointed. Can't think of who was in charge during that time.. 🙄

Hide contents

MTnKQLE.jpg

btw.. It'd be churlish to point out it was 4 years rather than five - 86/87 cup, 90/91 we were relegated, but seeing as you were correctly chastising me I'll not mention it. Oh, wait... :whistle

You're having a mare. We were relegated in 91-92 NOT 90-91. 1992 is 5 years after 1987. Now go stand in the corner and face the wall.

Sorry you are absolutely correct, we'd managed to avoid relegation the year after, which was the real frustration. We'd just won the fucking cup. We struggled again in 89/90 with us finally succumbing to it in 90/91 and that's when Hay was appointed. Can't think of who was in charge during that time.. [emoji849]
Spoiler

MTnKQLE.jpg&key=36e20a07214a30b0c4d91acb9abaa4ae78437787ff0e50389d28187b73176603

But we weren't relegated in 90-91 - there was league reconstruction so there was no relegation. We were relegated the following season after finishing 11th.

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
13 minutes ago, Ric said:
Sorry you are absolutely correct, we'd managed to avoid relegation the year after, which was the real frustration. We'd just won the fucking cup. We struggled again in 89/90 with us finally succumbing to it in 90/91 and that's when Hay was appointed. Can't think of who was in charge during that time.. emoji849.png
Spoiler
  Hide contents

MTnKQLE.jpg&key=36e20a07214a30b0c4d91acb9abaa4ae78437787ff0e50389d28187b73176603

But we weren't relegated in 90-91 - there was league reconstruction so there was no relegation. We were relegated the following season after finishing 11th.

The 90/91 reconstruction was specifically to save Hibs.

HIbs were in financial trouble at the time and Wallace Mercer (then Hearts chairman) made a bid to buy Hibs and merge the two teams. At the time reconstruction was announced Hibs looked certainties for relegation and the talk was of them subsequently going out of business. After reconstruction was announced we then went on a 17 game run without winning to snatch bottom place...:king

Sadly we continued that run into the following season...:bairn

Like I said earlier it's a bumpy road being a Saints fan but I wouldn't have it any other way - Obika Day Minus 5ive!

3 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Dylan Reid will break the record for youngest St Mirren player if he comes off the bench today. Only turned 16 on Monday.

This is the lad Goodwin has been waiting for. 

He'd have already made his debut before now if he was allowed to get him in the side.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This is the lad Goodwin has been waiting for. 

He'd have already made his debut before now if he was allowed to get him in the side.

Jim speaking in October:

"We have a list of four or five really good, young prospects with great potential. We have a young 15-year-old who I can’t wait till he turns 16.

That won’t be until March but as soon as he turns 16 we will look to give him his debut and make him one of the youngest players in the club’s history. That’s great credit to guys in the academy and its up to me as a manager to give these players an opportunity.”