The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It's just part of the games managers play when they miss out on a player. Say they offered a good package but someone offered more, regardless of whether or not that's true. We've seen it countless times before and we'll seen it countless times again. Fairly sure we saw it from Goodwin with Jakubiak in the summer.

It's pretty obvious we were prepared to offer Brophy more than Aberdeen and Hibs were. Doesn't mean they couldn't offer more, just means they weren't willing to. If the two of them genuinely did make an offer, I'm quite surprised he chose us over them (regardless of the finances) as going from Killie to us, or vice-versa, is pretty much a sideways step in terms of his career.

Edited by Stu

Just now, ulysses said:

I’d be telling Yogi to do one unless we are sending Sherron back to Fleetwood, we still need Sam Foley as cover for the centre back positions. 

We also need to hang around to see if Jake Doyle-Hayes extends his contract beyond the end of the season.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm sure it'll be in our accounts somewhere, but I have no idea. I'm not sure I'd agree about it deteriorating though - I think the stadium is still in pretty good shape. We did some renovations last summer with the new hospitality suite, the two standing sections and various murals.

Will away fans be able to stand?

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Is JDH not under contract for the rest of the season? Can’t see us letting him go this month even if he agrees a move elsewhere.

Just like Brophy is under contract with Killie? If JDH insists he wants away, just like KIllie and most other Clubs, we'll let him go - like Broadfoot and Paul McGinn this time last year. Hopefully JDH will want to stay but I doubt we'll force him if he wants away.

7 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Just like Brophy is under contract with Killie? If JDH insists he wants away, just like KIllie and most other Clubs, we'll let him go - like Broadfoot and Paul McGinn this time last year. Hopefully JDH will want to stay but I doubt we'll force him if he wants away.

It's a slightly different situation imo. JDH has been happy here in his short spell and has been first name on the teamsheet. I don't think he'll down tools , even if he doesn't sign an extension , and I don't think we'll let him go before the summer !

33 minutes ago, billyg said:

It's a slightly different situation imo. JDH has been happy here in his short spell and has been first name on the teamsheet. I don't think he'll down tools , even if he doesn't sign an extension , and I don't think we'll let him go before the summer !

Maybe. But if a Club he fancies offers us £50k and its a move he wants then I can see him going. Don't want him to of course - prefer he signs a 5 year deal - but I would not be too confident that if he signs a deal elsewhere that we can keep him.

Hope JDH will sign the extension but imagine there will be teams looking to take him this month. Have we ever lost a player that quickly (without us punting them due to being shite?). We only managed to hold onto Adam Hammill for a month or two but think he only signed a very short term contract. 

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah, was going to post that. Guessing the quotes aren't meant to be out until tomorrow/Saturday and someone accidentally published the article but they've now taken it offline.

Foley hasn't played since the end of November (hadn't realised it was that long) so no surprise if he wants a move for first team football, especially at his age. Would be surprised if we let him go to County but they could just do what we've done with Brophy - announce him on a PCA and try to push it through this month.

Goodwin saying Brophy was out the picture at Killie as "Alex Dyer likes to play a 6ft 3in target man". Wonder if he has one in mind for him...

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm interested in that quote as well for a very different reason. 😉

And that's why, given Quaner is 6ft3 and when he plays up front is invariably a target man.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And that's why, given Quaner is 6ft3 and when he plays up front is invariably a target man.

I'd wondered who you were meaning and if we'd got our wires crossed about Erwin going there.

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

A bargain at £10k a week. I believe all other managers of Premiership sides will be in the press next week to complain more about the financial power of St Mirren Football Club.

Glad to see Cheesy's wage finally getting utilised.