The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Stating the obvious, but this will be because The Kibble are part of the equation for the first time.

High profile charities (real ones, not ones that supply PPE to Hancock) have to be super clean about all of their finances - AND about the tax and ethical policies of their suppliers.

The Kibble's finance people will no doubt be the ones who have highlighted something that doesn't pass those standards.

This could be something like a supplier (stewards, catering, those who run corporate hospitality) paying people cash in hand with no expectation it's declared.

Understandably Kibble would not want to be associated with something like that. Neither should St Mirren, but I'm guessing most clubs don't pay too much attention to the detail of how someone providing them with a service handle their employees tax.

You seem to know what you're talking about. What's the penalty for something like that?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

All they need to do is post their accounts on a few celtic fans forum and they'll soon get to the bottom of it all.

I heard it is all because no-one paid VAT on the Celtic merchandise that was sold in our/their club shop a few years back.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

This could be something like a supplier (stewards, catering, those who run corporate hospitality) paying people cash in hand with no expectation it's declared.

I still remember the "password" to get into Love Street for free  in the 70s - my grandad used to live on Love Street. Should I declare it now to avoid heavier penalties when the "forensic accountants" unearth it?

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

You seem to know what you're talking about. What's the penalty for something like that?

If it is that, I can’t see Saints being liable.

Basically they’d be two steps away from those not declaring/paying their taxes.

Even the supplier wouldn’t necessarily be liable unless they could be shown to be encouraging those being paid cash in hand not to declare it.  Or of course if they weren’t paying any employers NI.

Pretty sure it’s still legal to pay people in cash so long as all parties do right by HMRC.  But it’s obviously open to abuse.

I may be barking completely up the wrong tree, but I’m sure Kibble would be looking out for such things, whereas a lot of companies would turn a blind eye to it.

20 minutes ago, AllyM said:

I still remember the "password" to get into Love Street for free  in the 70s - my grandad used to live on Love Street. Should I declare it now to avoid heavier penalties when the "forensic accountants" unearth it?

For most of the day 70s I got lifted over the turnstiles.

The password was “Gie’s a lift over mister?”

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

If it is that, I can’t see Saints being liable.

Basically they’d be two steps away from those not declaring/paying their taxes.

Even the supplier wouldn’t necessarily be liable unless they could be shown to be encouraging those being paid cash in hand not to declare it.  Or of course if they weren’t paying any employers NI.

Pretty sure it’s still legal to pay people in cash so long as all parties do right by HMRC.  But it’s obviously open to abuse.

I may be barking completely up the wrong tree, but I’m sure Kibble would be looking out for such things, whereas a lot of companies would turn a blind eye to it.

I voted in favour of the Kibble partnership. This potentially damages the club's reputation, but then again if it's only a small matter and it is being nipped in the bud, I suppose it's a good thing. I wish the club would provide more information.

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

I voted in favour of the Kibble partnership. This potentially damages the club's reputation, but then again if it's only a small matter and it is being nipped in the bud, I suppose it's a good thing. I wish the club would provide more information.

If the law's involved the club can't say anything, hence the utterly bland statement.

Although it has been fun to see that a baseless "I think' seems to have gained traction here.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Feel for you guys, just got pounded by the SPFL

https://spfl.co.uk/news/kilmarnock-fc-and-st-mirren-fc-disciplinary-outc

Aberdeen and Celtic get to replay their games, Kilmarnock and St Mirren have their games forfeited.

Nice to see the SPFL keeping consistency. I'm sure they will continue to use the same yardstick with other clubs.

Hamilton fans will be happy, Rice can claim he's turning the club around.